GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-08, 11:46 AM
tripleJs15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I'm new here.......also in the process of purchasing a 2006 GS300 from my local dealer, it has Nav but no ML......

Question is would it be able to play DVD's if I do these overides ? Or do I have to have the ML version to play DVD's ?

That might be a dumb question, but I can't find the answer.....thanks.
Old 09-24-08, 08:02 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tripleJs15
Ok guys, I'm new here.......also in the process of purchasing a 2006 GS300 from my local dealer, it has Nav but no ML......

Question is would it be able to play DVD's if I do these overides ? Or do I have to have the ML version to play DVD's ?

That might be a dumb question, but I can't find the answer.....thanks.

If it has no Nav, there is no way for it to play DVDs without adding external DVD players, interfaces, etc....you can follow the process to allow nav input while driving, enable bluetooth etc
Old 09-26-08, 10:22 AM
soyhead
Driver

quick question before i go cutting wires on my new car...am i tapping into the pink and purple wires with wires from the switch (using those plastic connectors type taps or a hard solder or twist connector for all 3 wires)...or am i totally severing the purple and pink with the switch completing the connection when in the on position for factory settings aka normal default mode? thanks for the awesome thread with pics and diagrams, being an engineer i love info in this format

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Thanks Robert
Thanks for clarifying the MP3 folder issue, the 06 does not support that so I could not comment.
also another question if i do this mod will i be able to use my ipod intergration kit while driving? i have an 06 gs430 with mark lev and navi, the book says i can select folders from the navi screen and this is the only real reason i am doing this mod to tell you the truth...that and POI while driving but the DVD thing would be a nice touch
Old 09-26-08, 11:46 AM
EyeKutr

Soyhead
you will completely cut the pink and purple and in essence connect them to each other with a switch in between, make sure you connect the "deep dash" ends of those wires with your switch, then you ground the yellow wire after you chop it in two (this time connection side).

With the Vais tech, i can see my playlists as CDs, but they are not named, so I see CD1 and so forth, I can hit the CD name button (or whatever) and it will show me playlist name and title of song....
Old 09-26-08, 12:17 PM
soyhead
Driver

Soyhead
you will completely cut the pink and purple and in essence connect them to each other with a switch in between, make sure you connect the "deep dash" ends of those wires with your switch, then you ground the yellow wire after you chop it in two (this time connection side).

With the Vais tech, i can see my playlists as CDs, but they are not named, so I see CD1 and so forth, I can hit the CD name button (or whatever) and it will show me playlist name and title of song....
thanks thats what i thought just wanted to sum it all up and double check, been waiting to do the ipod install so i can kill two birds with one stone while i have the navi out already

^ if driving in city (40 mph or so) - maybe a few minutes (enought time usually) but on hwy, maybe a minute, and you rock switch back and forth and it resets again
i take it this is true for JUST the nav functions only and will i ALWAYS be able to control my ipod when car is in motion and installed selector switch is in the OFF position breaking the circuit?
Old 09-26-08, 12:47 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by soyhead

i take it this is true for JUST the nav functions only and will i ALWAYS be able to control my ipod when car is in motion and installed selector switch is in the OFF position breaking the circuit?

The ipod is always enabled no matter where the switch is since you are literally killing its signal all the time and it has no satellite redundancy.....
Old 09-26-08, 06:22 PM
soyhead
Driver

last ?, can i just do the screen dance with the menu->volume->upper-left->lower-left->upper-left->lower-left->hold override->back and just than clip the yellow wire & ground and be able to watch dvd's and still control everything including POI, phonebook and ipod?

if i am thinking right this would not only prevent having to install a switch but also save you from having to toggle the switch on and off after the timeout reset every few minutes...i grew up playing contra and can deal with the override sequence just one time a trip, its just as inconvenient as hitting i agree and having to reach for the installed button to toggle on and off

Last edited by soyhead; 09-26-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-26-08, 06:27 PM
EyeKutr

last ?, can i just do the screen dance with the menu->volume->upper-left->upper-right->upper-left->upper-right->hold override->back and just than clip the yellow wire & ground and be able to watch dvd's and still control everything including POI, phonebook and ipod?

if i am thinking right this would not only prevent having to install a switch but also save you from having to toggle the switch on and off after the timeout reset every few minutes...i grew up playing contra and can deal with the override sequence just one time a trip, its just as inconvenient as hitting i agree and having to reach for the installed button to toggle on and off
You know, I think that may work, I just figured, while I was at it, I did not want to mess with the dance anytime. The dance however does not allow bluetooth input while driving, I beleive. The only way for that is to interrupt the pink (or is it purple) going to the audio unit....you can test your scenario, just barely click the handbrake so thelight comes on but barely applied, so that you dont burn your e-brake while driving slowly and testing this.
Old 09-26-08, 07:08 PM
soyhead
Driver

You know, I think that may work, I just figured, while I was at it, I did not want to mess with the dance anytime. The dance however does not allow bluetooth input while driving, I beleive. The only way for that is to interrupt the pink (or is it purple) going to the audio unit....you can test your scenario, just barely click the handbrake so thelight comes on but barely applied, so that you dont burn your e-brake while driving slowly and testing this.
gonna give it a shot right now and will report results once done

i can care less about the bluetooth because i cant get my phone book to upload (have a motorola krazr and everytime i hit upload the bluetooth disconnects on my phone)...i have no problem operating my phone to make a call but it would be nice to have the name on the screen when i get an incoming call
Old 09-26-08, 10:38 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

last ?, can i just do the screen dance with the menu->volume->upper-left->upper-right->upper-left->upper-right->hold override->back...
I think you mean menu->volume->upper-left->lower-left->upper-left->lower-left->hold override->back
Old 09-26-08, 10:54 PM
soyhead
Driver

Originally Posted by memasterac
I think you mean menu->volume->upper-left->lower-left->upper-left->lower-left->hold override->back
corrected, my bad its been a long day

last ?, can i just do the screen dance with the menu->volume->upper-left->lower-left->upper-left->lower-left->hold override->back and just than clip the yellow wire & ground and be able to watch dvd's and still control everything including POI, phonebook and ipod?

all this did was enable the dvd to work without engaging the parking brake, once i was in motion the dvd screen shut off

so i tried putting a switch in but i guess its a bad switch? i cant seem to get the navi to sync up and the dvd always works whether i toggle it on or off i was under the impression when i clicked the switch the dvd would shut off once in motion??? gonna get a new switch from radio shack or somewhere in the AM and see if that is the culprit

on a postitive note, with pics and instructions from this thread i was able to get all this hooked up in less than an hour including removal
Old 09-26-08, 11:44 PM
EyeKutr

i cant seem to get the navi to sync up and the dvd always works whether i toggle it on or off i was under the impression when i clicked the switch the dvd would shut off once in motion??? :
DVD will always work, remember you cut the purple wire so the VSS signal to the dvd changer, what you probably did was to connect the wrong wires, wrong ends of the pink and purple wires....
you cut the pink wire (passenger side harness) and purple wire (driver side harness) then you use a switch to connect the purple wire coming from the deep side of the dash (not radio) to the pink (going away from the radio (to the nav). then this switch is on all the time except to input addresses, what that does is it allows the purple VSS signal to go to the nav See diagrams and pics

Last edited by EyeKutr; 09-26-08 at 11:56 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 08:50 AM
soyhead
Driver

so i got it all to work but the nav was too choppy for my liking so i returned it to stock conditions, must have been a loose connection...when i took the switch out of the equation and linked the pink directly to the purple it cleaned up a bit but was still choppy and had my car drifting off the road at points...i can do without the POI input and do the finger dance but would still like the DVD capability

if i left it hardwired, would it eventually get itself back to normal after a few minutes or trips? it seemed as it got better the longer i drove but i could be just crazy and i only drove for about 5 minutes around my neighborhood with curvy roads galore...i can always go back and do it again, took me no more than 5-10 to get the radio out but i got stuff to do today and had to get the car back together to drive in an hour
Old 09-28-08, 08:08 PM
EyeKutr

so i got it all to work but the nav was too choppy for my liking so i returned it to stock conditions, must have been a loose connection...when i took the switch out of the equation and linked the pink directly to the purple it cleaned up a bit but was still choppy and had my car drifting off the road at points...i can do without the POI input and do the finger dance but would still like the DVD capability

if i left it hardwired, would it eventually get itself back to normal after a few minutes or trips? it seemed as it got better the longer i drove but i could be just crazy and i only drove for about 5 minutes around my neighborhood with curvy roads galore...i can always go back and do it again, took me no more than 5-10 to get the radio out but i got stuff to do today and had to get the car back together to drive in an hour

you connected the wrong ends of the wire.....here is how you test it.....start the car and immediately before you drive away, press the button to enter a navigation destination and start to drive....if you hardwired it, it should immediately grey out the letters, if it is wired wrong as I suspect, the buttons will still be visible and will grey out in about a minute as the sat signal kicks in and overrides.....report back....
Old 11-04-08, 02:00 PM
blckwidow
Rookie

anyone living in the north texas area willing to put out some time to help me on this? don't want to do it myself. pm me.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread