GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 09:43 PM
vbolee1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I jsut got my 06 GS300 Nav no ML system can someone tell me if i do these mods with the wires being cut n toggle switch installed will i be able to watch DVDS? I dont think i can watch them now will that change from this mod? THX in advance!
Old 07-07-08, 09:53 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vbolee1
Hi I jsut got my 06 GS300 Nav no ML system can someone tell me if i do these mods with the wires being cut n toggle switch installed will i be able to watch DVDS? I dont think i can watch them now will that change from this mod? THX in advance!
how is wire cutting going to produce a DVD player in your car?

ML system also comes with 6 disk DVD changer... that's why we can watch dvd.
Old 07-08-08, 11:16 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default it used to work...

I did the wire cut bypass well over a year ago and all was working perfect...until last weekend when the car did not want to give turn by turn directions or display estimated time! Everything else is working fine, it even shows where to go and where I am accurately...very strange. Does anyone know what may have happened?

Thanks to anyone who may have a clue...
Old 07-08-08, 03:30 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300ATL
I did the wire cut bypass well over a year ago and all was working perfect...until last weekend when the car did not want to give turn by turn directions or display estimated time! Everything else is working fine, it even shows where to go and where I am accurately...very strange. Does anyone know what may have happened?

Thanks to anyone who may have a clue...

this means your vss is not getting to the nav unit.....does the switch still work ? ...make sure you dont have it in the bypass mode....
Old 07-08-08, 03:40 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default no switch

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
this means your vss is not getting to the nav unit.....does the switch still work ? ...make sure you dont have it in the bypass mode....

Thanks for your response...I never put a switch on the wires, that is what is so odd.
Old 07-08-08, 04:18 PM
EyeKutr

Thanks for your response...I never put a switch on the wires, that is what is so odd.
if you had no switch, then how do you ever go on bypass? usually, if you use no switch you need a hybrid disc....but then if you have a hybrid disc you dont need to cut wires.....anyhow, you confused me what you actually did in the 1st place...let me know and I can trouble shoot this for you
Old 07-09-08, 04:16 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default used finger dance method

if you had no switch, then how do you ever go on bypass? usually, if you use no switch you need a hybrid disc....but then if you have a hybrid disc you dont need to cut wires.....anyhow, you confused me what you actually did in the 1st place...let me know and I can trouble shoot this for you

Sorry I wasn't clear, I did the bypass to allow video and bluetooth then did the finger dance when I needed to enter an address.

The only thing that changed was I got a new phone...but I have removed the phones from the bluetooth setup.

I am thinking a wire came apart behind the head unit, they are very thin and really hard to work with.
Old 07-09-08, 03:10 PM
EyeKutr

Sorry I wasn't clear, I did the bypass to allow video and bluetooth then did the finger dance when I needed to enter an address.

The only thing that changed was I got a new phone...but I have removed the phones from the bluetooth setup.

I am thinking a wire came apart behind the head unit, they are very thin and really hard to work with.
Got it, so you have BT and video going, and have a 5.1 dvd and do the dance....

There are a couple of ways to confirm the issue....one is start car and be at a place where you can drive forward, and then press the DESTINATION button (dont do the dance)...start driving, if the address button greys out IMMEDIATELY (2-3 seconds) then you still have a good connection...if it takes a few seconds, maybe a minute or 2, then your connection becoma loose...this test only works right after you start the car...

Last edited by EyeKutr; 07-09-08 at 03:14 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 05:14 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default connection must be loose

Got it, so you have BT and video going, and have a 5.1 dvd and do the dance....

There are a couple of ways to confirm the issue....one is start car and be at a place where you can drive forward, and then press the DESTINATION button (dont do the dance)...start driving, if the address button greys out IMMEDIATELY (2-3 seconds) then you still have a good connection...if it takes a few seconds, maybe a minute or 2, then your connection becoma loose...this test only works right after you start the car...
It took about 30-45 seconds to grey out...taken it all apart again this weekend...thanks for the troubleshooting/diagnosis
Old 07-12-08, 11:59 AM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default All is well now...

It took about 30-45 seconds to grey out...taken it all apart again this weekend...thanks for the troubleshooting/diagnosis
Thank you Eyekutr for your assistance, after taking the head unit out I saw what was wrong...my only guess is that while Lexus was trying to fix my rattles they took the HU out disconnecting the pink wire from the purple, once I reattached all is well...thanks again!
Old 07-12-08, 12:07 PM
EyeKutr

Thank you Eyekutr for your assistance, after taking the head unit out I saw what was wrong...my only guess is that while Lexus was trying to fix my rattles they took the HU out disconnecting the pink wire from the purple, once I reattached all is well...thanks again!
You are welcome, I would have installed a switch while you are there, then you dont have to do the dance.... also you can get a new nav disc and dont have to do a hybrid disc, you can always remove it if needed
Old 07-14-08, 06:00 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

My SA tells me there is a new NAV version coming in November, 2008. Anybody else hear this yet?
Old 07-14-08, 06:26 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by noncom23
My SA tells me there is a new NAV version coming in November, 2008. Anybody else hear this yet?
if you are talking about a new dvd for updated maps, that is a yearly thing, and you will see v8.1 this year, if you are talking about a new gen 6 nav system, it wont do us any good since it would be hardware based
Old 07-15-08, 05:44 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

if you are talking about a new dvd for updated maps, that is a yearly thing, and you will see v8.1 this year, if you are talking about a new gen 6 nav system, it wont do us any good since it would be hardware based

Yep. sorry. The software version. Did not know it came out annually. He quoted me around $300.00.
Old 07-28-08, 10:23 AM
ICEDGS3-RZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Playing movies on mapDVD

Hello Everyone...I just joined this forum and I wanted to compliment all the members that shared their experience and information...I currently own a 06 GS 300 AWD and this might be a stupid question....pls accept my apologies if I'm posting this in a wrong forum..

My question is: Does ALL GS300 (third gen) that has a mapDVD "can" play regular DVD movies?

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread