GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 06:58 PM
LenniePaz
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnnyz4
I wanted to ask when connecting the wires to the switch do you guys twist and then tape it up? This is a stupid question but how do you ground the yellow wire, to get the dvd to play while driving?
You really should solder the wires to the switch to ensure a good connection and they won't fall off. As far as grounding the yellow wire, on the back of the Nav unit, there is a black box on top held on by 2 bolts. Add some wire to the yellow wire and loosen the bolt near the wire harness and wrap the yellow wire around that.
Old 02-11-12, 08:08 PM
REDanBLACK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 350 with ML System.

I mostly want to just be able to use the dvd player while driving (for passengers), what is the easiest/cheapest way to do this? If I have to override the navigation that is fine too but I dont use the nav anyway (its outdated and my phone is easier)

Im assuming there are more updated navigation discs than what I have in my car as it is missing a major highway (485 in Charlotte, NC). How can I find out what the latest is. I would prefer to burn or buy a burned disc but if members look down on that they do not have to point me how to do this but just let me know what the latest disc is.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-12, 10:49 PM
BeatSonic
Sponsor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by REDanBLACK
I have an 08 350 with ML System.

I mostly want to just be able to use the dvd player while driving (for passengers), what is the easiest/cheapest way to do this? If I have to override the navigation that is fine too but I dont use the nav anyway (its outdated and my phone is easier)

Im assuming there are more updated navigation discs than what I have in my car as it is missing a major highway (485 in Charlotte, NC). How can I find out what the latest is. I would prefer to burn or buy a burned disc but if members look down on that they do not have to point me how to do this but just let me know what the latest disc is.

Thanks in advance!
If you just want to be able to watch DVD while driving, DIY way is to find the parking brake line and ground it. If you don't want to mess with the factory harness, you can get our kit:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-son...ss-module.html

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/
Old 02-20-12, 09:48 AM
uptownboi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow... this is awesome!!! i did it and now i can press the "play" button on the screen for dvds while the car is in motion... back then, i had to wait for a red light..... i can make fone calls now too!!! GREAT post great write-up!!!
Old 04-08-12, 10:32 PM
Johnnyz4
Driver

I have a 2006 GS 430 with ML, NAVI and DVD.

I tried the wire mod today and got the DVD to work while driving, but when I added the switch, I don't get turn by turn guidance and I still have to do the finger dance to add in a address. Does anyone know what I did wrong? I connected both pink wire (passenger side harness) and purple wire (driver side harness) from the deep inside of the dash (not coming out from the screen) to the switch. IS that correct or was I suppose to connect the it to the navi side. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-19-12, 04:16 PM
Detruong83
Driver School Candidate

Default 2006 lexus gs300 headunit bypass

hi,
my name is danny i have a few questions for u, i wanna bypass my headunit to play dvd but i dont know how from reading your threads..

7144729691 can u give me a call thanks
or email me some pics and direction on how to do so thanks.. hope to hear from u..
dtruong714@hotmai.com
Old 04-19-12, 08:40 PM
2008GSh
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A friendly note/suggestion/request to vendors on this thread.

Build me a no cut kit with a nice SQUARE factory looking switch (that doesn't require me to glue and cut and perform all kinds of silicon magic) and I'm a customer. Till then I will wait.

Every third gen GS has at least one spare cut out just begging to be filled with a switch like this... many have two or more..

The goofy color light up "torpedo shaped" dongle might work fine, but is not a good match to the interior of our cars.

Last edited by 2008GSh; 04-20-12 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-14-12, 07:25 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

Here's my switch setup. I just did this mod yesterday. Pretty cool. Thanks for the write up and all of the follow up info. Pretty easy. Took about an hour.

Old 09-07-12, 03:41 PM
jimbonuttz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the awesome writeup and all the research you guys put into this! Just finished option 3 on my 07 gs450h. Using a switch the DVD, Navi & Phone options during movement works like a charm!

Old 09-11-12, 09:30 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You guys are all welcome.
Old 10-20-13, 10:00 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I tried doing "Option 3 - Wire modification for navigation input while in motion" today but I couldn't seem to make it work. I cut the purple wire on the farthest left and the white with silver dots and put a switch in between but nav would still not let me input addresses while driving. It would let me dial numbers on the bluetooth though. Could it be that my switch doesn't work? But, I even tried bridging the purple and white wire to see if that would work (even if only for a few minutes) but it didn't either. I'm a bit confused as to what it could be.

I grounded the yellow wire so at least the DVD works now
Old 03-25-14, 12:05 PM
jet460
Driver School Candidate

Are anyone you in GA or TN? I would love some assistance with this mod.
Old 04-28-14, 12:14 PM
cadone
Driver School Candidate

Good day.
Is there a way to have the navigation work on all speakers VS just the drivers side one ?
I have the 08 GS 350.
Old 06-24-14, 09:00 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cadone
Good day.
Is there a way to have the navigation work on all speakers VS just the drivers side one ?
I have the 08 GS 350.
I don't think there is actually, not an option in the menus at least
Old 07-01-14, 11:08 AM
Fongyd85
Driver School Candidate

some of you guys make this sound easy lol. I don't have confidence to start taking the dash and monitor out.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread