GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Rattle on my Dash...can someone help?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 10:19 PM
feysulex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle on my Dash...can someone help?

i have a 2006 GS 300 and just as the weather turned cold in chicago i noticed a rattle coming from the front part of my dash by the main speaker. Can anyone out there help me identify where its coming from and what i can do?
Old 09-15-07, 10:27 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by feysulex
i have a 2006 GS 300 and just as the weather turned cold in chicago i noticed a rattle coming from the front part of my dash by the main speaker. Can anyone out there help me identify where its coming from and what i can do?
that sucks man, sorry to hear that. that crap is f-ing annoying!!! im no help.

on a lighter note: it was 77degrees today in So*Cal!!
Old 09-16-07, 07:01 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by feysulex
The noise tends to come from the plastic light sensor/windshield defroster vent pocket area. You should take it into your local Lexus service department to address it.
Old 09-16-07, 09:54 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

it's a comon problem that most of the cars have.
WHen it gots cold, have somone drive your car, and you take your hand and apply pressure on the lower part of the windshield and push out. See if this eliminates the noise....it should.
If it does, it is the same problem I had and many others as well.
I never actually had a part replaced like others, which I believe solved their problems, I just had the whole dash, felted, and wrapped in felt, and felt between speakers, ain in between the glass and windshield.
For me this solved my problem completely.
Let us know how it turns out. I haven't gotten into winter yet to know if mine will come back or if it's gone for good. we'll see
Old 09-16-07, 12:57 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Ihave a rattle now on mine, but its coming from the center dash. If I push on the plastic fram part of where the monitor is, the sound goes away. I dunno if Lexus can fix that tho.
Old 09-16-07, 04:22 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

My was wrapped in felts, just like Jace7's. Rattles are gone for good!!!
Old 09-16-07, 06:53 PM
feysulex
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jace7
it's a comon problem that most of the cars have.
WHen it gots cold, have somone drive your car, and you take your hand and apply pressure on the lower part of the windshield and push out. See if this eliminates the noise....it should.
If it does, it is the same problem I had and many others as well.
I never actually had a part replaced like others, which I believe solved their problems, I just had the whole dash, felted, and wrapped in felt, and felt between speakers, ain in between the glass and windshield.
For me this solved my problem completely.
Let us know how it turns out. I haven't gotten into winter yet to know if mine will come back or if it's gone for good. we'll see
When you say "Felted", who did it? Did the dealer? Did they charge you?
Old 09-17-07, 06:10 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

no charge, the dealer did it. I had it in 3 times and finally I watched them do each and every single contact point.

THere should be NO charge at all. It's a normal complaint and they should be willing to fix the noise at NO CHARGE!

If they arguing there will be a charge, complain to corporate and take your car elsewhere.
Old 09-17-07, 06:20 AM
feysulex
Rookie

no charge, the dealer did it. I had it in 3 times and finally I watched them do each and every single contact point.

THere should be NO charge at all. It's a normal complaint and they should be willing to fix the noise at NO CHARGE!

If they arguing there will be a charge, complain to corporate and take your car elsewhere.

Jace: can you ask your dealer what the found out the problem was?
Thanks
Old 09-17-07, 06:24 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Can you hear the noise when you are driving? I imagine more so on a colder day.
Just take it in, have a tech/service manager drive with you. Point it out, and make sure they hear the noise, then just tell them to fix it.
With my car, they didn't actually replace any parts like they did with some others on the board, they did however just FELT everything under the dash.
From the connector points of the glass/dash, the speakers, the wires inside, EVERYTHING.
ALso, make sure the two plastic pieces that the "robots" use as positioning points with the glass are removed. Most are already, but some are still there. If yours are still there, that could be causing some of the noise.
Old 09-17-07, 06:26 AM
feysulex
Rookie

Can you hear the noise when you are driving? I imagine more so on a colder day.
Just take it in, have a tech/service manager drive with you. Point it out, and make sure they hear the noise, then just tell them to fix it.
With my car, they didn't actually replace any parts like they did with some others on the board, they did however just FELT everything under the dash.
From the connector points of the glass/dash, the speakers, the wires inside, EVERYTHING.
ALso, make sure the two plastic pieces that the "robots" use as positioning points with the glass are removed. Most are already, but some are still there. If yours are still there, that could be causing some of the noise.
Jace,

Thanks alot. can you PM me the name of the dealer in colorodo you used. I am concerned that i will get some static here in the Windy City with the dealer. I bought my car on EBAY and i want to use as much hard data as i can for them to help me.

Thanks alot
Old 09-17-07, 06:29 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

you shouldn't get any static. THe car is under warranty at ANY dealership.
But so you know, Stevinson Lexus of Frederick CO.
This is a common problem. Just search windshield ticking and you will fin a ton of posts. Alot from me and many from others.
The dealer should fix it, no matter where you purchased it. If they are being lazy and giving you static, make them, it's their job.
Old 09-20-07, 12:38 PM
bbnurdone
Driver School Candidate

Happened to my GS350 about 2months ago, I took it to dealer and they replaced the whole windshield (no charge). PROBLEM SOLVED.
Old 09-21-07, 10:45 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

the rattle isn't coming from the windshield, more the clips and te dash cowl.
By replacing the windshield if your rattle went away, they must have done something else, like cut the clips or felt the connections, because if not, the problem isn't fixed and you will be back.
But on the good side, you got a new windshield.