Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > GS Models > GS - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

clicking noise from engine

Old 09-02-07, 11:00 AM   #1
skk440
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default clicking noise from engine

The car just hit the 1000miles mark and i start hearing a constant clicking noise from under the hood. Its a constant noise even when I rev the engine. Has anyone else experienced this?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
skk440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 11:15 AM   #2
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Every once in a while, I hear a ligth clicking noise but only for the first minutes after starting the car for the first time of the day, and more so when it's cold.
If it happens more often than this, I would take it and question it with your service manager.
2005 Lexus GX 470 6500K HID fogs, 3M complete
Jace7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 11:32 AM   #3
jaxgs350
Pole Position

You sure it's just not the normal injector sounds? Mine and other's GS350's are rather noticeable
with the stereo off.... cannot comment on the V8 or the hybrid, but the 350's I've been in, as well as my own, are a bit noisy.... nothing to be alarmed about.... WAD....

2007 GS350, Starfire Pearl, Cashmere, 18" G-Spiders, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/40/ZR18, DVD Nav, ML, XM, V1, PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow Night Markers, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra DRL/Hi Beam, 3M Llumar 15%, XenonDepot HID 6000K Fogs, Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust, K&N Typhoon Intake, Ultimate Pedals Custom Kit, VAIS Tech Sound Linq iPod Interface Next: Caliper paint & decal project...
jaxgs350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 11:57 AM   #4
skk440
Driver School Candidate

Default what does WAD mean?

I am not familiar with that term. I hope the noise turns out to be nothing. I initially thought it was just a cold engine and once it heated up, it would be ok. This was not the case. Maybe it is a normal noise associated with the engine. My fear is that it has to do with a timing belt or something.
skk440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 01:11 PM   #5
jaxgs350
Pole Position

WAD == working as designed

2007 GS350, Starfire Pearl, Cashmere, 18" G-Spiders, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 245/40/ZR18, DVD Nav, ML, XM, V1, PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow Night Markers, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra DRL/Hi Beam, 3M Llumar 15%, XenonDepot HID 6000K Fogs, Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust, K&N Typhoon Intake, Ultimate Pedals Custom Kit, VAIS Tech Sound Linq iPod Interface Next: Caliper paint & decal project...
jaxgs350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 01:21 PM   #6
rkb43
Pole Position

It's probably just the direct injectors, but if it worries you have it checked by the dealer.
rkb43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-07, 08:44 PM   #7
ucmyGS350
Rookie

That clicking noise is from the direct injectors. You should hear this constant clicking whether the car is cold or warmed. This was what the Lexux service manager told me. But feel free to consult with Lexus for your peace of mind also.
ucmyGS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-07, 07:37 PM   #8
TimC
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucmyGS350 View Post
That clicking noise is from the direct injectors. You should hear this constant clicking whether the car is cold or warmed. This was what the Lexux service manager told me. But feel free to consult with Lexus for your peace of mind also.

You are correct. The same issue has been brought up with regard to GM's 3.6 liter direct injuection engine in the 08 CTS. It is normal.
TimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 12:08 AM   #9
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I just bought an 07 gs350 and have noticed the same thing when I get out of the car to check the mail I hear the same loud ticking. I initially thought to myself that something was up bec I remember being next to older lexus cars and you could barely hear them idle. Mine does it all the time. Especially annoying in drive thrus. It sound like its normal. A little disappointing. Also get this weird howling wind noise around my driver side mirror when Im over 65 mph. I hope lexus will meet my expectations. With a record of most reliable car 12 yrs running I think they know what they are doing
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 12:08 AM

Tags
06, 2007, 350, 36, clicking, engine, enginelexus, gm, gs, injector, lexus, noise, sc430, sound, ticking