GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
Old 01-09-15, 10:02 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - GS fog light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-10, 02:21 PM
SmoKTurtLe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looking to change the fog lights to NON HID - going with nokya 9006 artic/jdm yellow.

I dont have to worry about OEM housing and wire harness melting or reacting to a higher wattage output?

Do I need the wire harness that some sites sell with the replacement bulbs?
Old 03-31-10, 04:37 PM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmoKTurtLe
I looking to change the fog lights to NON HID - going with nokya 9006 artic/jdm yellow.

I dont have to worry about OEM housing and wire harness melting or reacting to a higher wattage output?

If you're using the same wattage bulbs, I don't see why you would need to change anything besides the bulbs. On an off-note, changing to HID fogs would cost about the same and usually last longer. They also run cooler if you're paranoid about melting housings and harnesses. And of course, they're twice as bright.
Old 04-01-10, 01:49 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SmoKTurtLe

as long as you dont go over the wattage of a stock bulb, you'll be find. i believe the stock bulbs are 55w. like mentioned though, for like $60 bucks you can get a complete hid set shipped to you.
Old 04-03-10, 07:54 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
as long as you dont go over the wattage of a stock bulb, you'll be find. i believe the stock bulbs are 55w. like mentioned though, for like $60 bucks you can get a complete hid set shipped to you.
Where are you finding this price??? I am having this dilemma now whether to get whiter bulbs or convert to HID's... I am finding PIAA's ultra whites for about $40 at amazon and the cheapest I am finding HID conversions are for $200.

Also, On a side note, I am assuming my stock HID's are 4300k??? So the conversion kit would get my fogs to the exact same color as the stocks?

Thanks for the help guys.

-D
Old 04-03-10, 11:46 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

HIDExtra, works great!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...m-members.html
Old 04-05-10, 09:54 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Nice! Thanks for the link. One thing I noticed was there wasn't anything mentioned about the kits from HIDXTRA having relays... I have heard from other people that without a relay, there are chances of the HID's not coming on right all the time if the fogs aren't delayed from the low-beam HID's. Any comments on this?
Old 04-08-10, 10:39 PM
Slamking18
Driver

I ordered the HID conversion from HIDextra and should be getting them in withing a couple of days. I started looking the fogs over to see how hard it was going to be to do the change. I tried searching for a DIY on changing out the halogen's with HID's but havent had any luck. Does this exist?

If not, my biggest question is... Do I need to remove that surrounding on the inside of the lens that covers the halogen bulb? If yes, how do I do this?

Thanks,
-D
Old 04-09-10, 02:54 AM
mysteryan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Slamking18
I ordered the HID conversion from HIDextra and should be getting them in withing a couple of days. I started looking the fogs over to see how hard it was going to be to do the change. I tried searching for a DIY on changing out the halogen's with HID's but havent had any luck. Does this exist?

If not, my biggest question is... Do I need to remove that surrounding on the inside of the lens that covers the halogen bulb? If yes, how do I do this?

Thanks,
-D
Relays can be purchased at the same site, but not necessary. Most people don't use relays including myself and works fine. You don't need to remove anything. All you have to to is turn the wheel. Loosen a feel clips and feel back the wheel well splash guard. It's as easy as changing a bulb, except you have an extra you have to stick somewhere.
Old 04-09-10, 05:23 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mysteryan
Relays can be purchased at the same site, but not necessary. Most people don't use relays including myself and works fine. You don't need to remove anything. All you have to to is turn the wheel. Loosen a feel clips and feel back the wheel well splash guard. It's as easy as changing a bulb, except you have an extra you have to stick somewhere.
I didn't use the relays included in my xenondepot xtreme kit... the thought of finding a way to route them that didn't interfere with anything just sickened me and seemed like way too much work for little benefit considering I haven't heard of a single person on this board that had problems with the harness connection approach. It's been a few weeks now and I haven't noticed a single problem with the fog lights not turning on or flickering, no dummy lights etc.

P.S. I can only imagine how annoying HID conversions would be, even in fog lights, if people took out the reflector shroud from the housings. I think the glare coming off of them without that would be extremely ridiculous.

I apologize for not taking pictures yet. I keep my car in an underground garage with strong fluorescent lighting and I just haven't had the car out on a clear night by myself yet (and haven't bothered to take it out of the garage for the express purpose of taking pictures). Maybe this weekend I'll do it since I have a new camera (Panasonic ZS3) getting delivered today that I'll want to test the HD video recording out on... so I'll do one better than pictures and record a video showing how the lights (Putco LED and XenonDepot 3000k) look from a few angles if that'll help anybody make any decisions about what they want to do with their cars.
Old 04-09-10, 09:42 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

^ to each his own, but i think it's safer to use the relay.. i have the same kit, and yes, it did take some time for me to route and hide all the wires, but why risk it? just drink some cold beer, take some time in the lazy afternoon to finish it.
Old 04-10-10, 07:02 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
^ to each his own, but i think it's safer to use the relay.. i have the same kit, and yes, it did take some time for me to route and hide all the wires, but why risk it? just drink some cold beer, take some time in the lazy afternoon to finish it.
I really don't see any "risk". The HID kit uses less wattage than standard halogen 9006 bulbs. The relays are there in case your vehicle provides unreliable amounts of power to the harness, in our case, it seems to do this just fine.
Old 04-26-10, 08:03 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MyPearlGs
HMM.Turn signal WHITE I hope is legal.
Or you can get busted.Once i have ticket for blue turn signal lights on my previous car.What abou white
well here ny you can only use colors dat are on the car originally i.e yellow white or red ,
Old 04-26-10, 10:05 AM
Slamking18
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
I really don't see any "risk". The HID kit uses less wattage than standard halogen 9006 bulbs. The relays are there in case your vehicle provides unreliable amounts of power to the harness, in our case, it seems to do this just fine.
Agreed. From what I found, the only "risk" of not using relays is that you the car may have troubles with getting all the HID's ignited correctly. I did not use relays as I was recommended not to and they work just fine with absolutely no problem firing all HIDs at once. I do have a friend with a GS430 and he had to use the relays. He would run into occasions where only one of his fogs would fire and that cleared the problem up for him. I guess Lexus improved their power delivery in the later years.
Old 08-20-10, 12:30 PM
ecko1211
Rookie

anyone know how to take out the fog light all together and not just replacing the bulb?
Old 07-27-11, 08:37 PM
smilepak
Driver

We should have a sub-forum and put great DIY like this in there..pain to have to serach for it each time

Quick Reply: DIY - GS fog light replacement