GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Fuel Door Closure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 12:00 AM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Door Closure Issue

I searched this forum and couldn't find any other owners with this very issue. I wanted to share with you guys an issue I've found with my GS. Basically, I went to fill up on some fuel at my local gas station. Upon filling up my tank, I screw on the gas cap and close the fuel door but it won't close. I apply pressure to the door to attempt to shut it but it won't close all the way. I opened up the door again to ensure the gas cap was on securely and in the correct position. I unscrewed the gas cap, and closed it to the point it clicked, just as it states on the gas cap. Again, I close my fuel door slowly to see if there was any object preventing it from securely closing. There was nothing I could see that could cause this. I finally learn that the issue is with the plastic release/****/latch that holds the door in place. As you close the fuel door, this black latch should recede as it makes contact with the door; when the fuel door is in the closed position, this **** should pop back out and catch in the recessed compartment of the fuel door to hold it in place. Apparently, this black latch is angled poorly such that when it makes contact with the fuel door, the latch is not receding What you have to do is pull the black latch outward toward you so it catches when it closes. I now have a dent on my fuel door trying to close it. Will certainly have Lexus fix!!

Hopes this helps.
Old 05-12-07, 09:00 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

dent on the fuel door? how hard did you push it in?
Old 05-12-07, 02:48 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know about a dent, but this fuel door is the WORST of any car I ever owned. You can't just push it close. I kind ahave to lightly hit hit it square on the middle outer edge to close it. its hard to just push on. and you cant push it on from anywhere but that middle edge
Old 05-12-07, 08:01 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

I had this exact problem and didn't find any other threads on it. I had no problems until a few weeks ago I found I couldn't shut the fuel door easily...took quite a bit of force to have it click shut. Had my 5K service last Friday and had them look at the door. They said they had to readjust the door and shave a tiny bit off the plastic latch. Now it closes normally, with just a tiny push to shut it. I can't see where they may have shaved anything off, but I haven't had a chance to really examine it.
Old 05-13-07, 02:43 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I'm gonna get mine looked at. I thought it was normal. anybody else with this issue?
Old 05-13-07, 05:51 PM
beachfront
Pole Position

I think it might be a random problem that doesnt show up for a while, mine closes just fine, although I am not an expert on fuel doors!!
Old 05-13-07, 10:03 PM
drewdogg80
Driver

Originally Posted by starstreak
I'm gonna get mine looked at. I thought it was normal. anybody else with this issue?
It definitely was not normal how hard I had to push/force it close a few weeks ago. Prior to that it closed with minimal effort, just gently closing it works.
Old 05-14-07, 02:34 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Did not notice it until I went to fill up yesterday and what do you know? GRRRR... Will call my service advisor and see if it's something they can fit in this coming week...
Old 05-14-07, 03:28 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by beachfront
I think it might be a random problem that doesnt show up for a while, mine closes just fine, although I am not an expert on fuel doors!!
Same with mine. It closes with a similar feel as my previous car, a 3 series BMW, solid. Just make sure you don't try to close it while the fuel cap is not in place

Now, if Lexus could copy the way BMW fuel flaps open... you just push on it and it snaps open, as long as the driver's door is unlocked. No need to open little door traps and push little buttons or anything else. Simple and elegant design!
Old 05-16-07, 07:55 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Took mine in yesterday afternoon and was in and out before I had a chance to finish my coffee. While they had not had this problem come in before, they said they adjusted the fuel door and put some lube there. Must have been the lube

Door closes very smoothly and easily now.
Old 05-25-07, 04:42 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

I just got back from lex and technician looked at my door. The service advisor explained that they need to order a new "solenoid" part and it will take a few days. He mentioned he had seen a handful of GS-es with this same issue. Anyways, will keep you in the loop once the service is performed. Have a nice memorial day weekend everyone.
Old 06-13-07, 08:53 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Just got my vehicle back on Monday. The dealership took care of the issue and replaced the respective parts. Service explained to me that they wouldn't fix the dent on fuel door since that part isn't covered under warranty. I'd have to pick up the tab. I think to myself, well if the door had closed like it was suppose to, I wouldn't have had try and close the fuel door 50 times while at the gas station. It's a bit embarrassing when you're at the gas station with a $50,000 dollar car that's brand new and the fuel door doesn't close and people are waiting behind you in line to fill up on gas. Anyways, service wouldn't repair the dent for me..and they go on to say "It will cost $150 to repair the dent, but we have a special right now for only $100."...this REALLY pissed me off. I sleep on this and the next day an idea came to mind. I pick up the phone and call my sales guy. I told him the entire story, and he said he'd call me back by end of day with an answer. My sales guy calls me back 5 mins later and says it's taken care of. Now that's the level of service that I expect from Lexus. It's unfortunate that the service department couldn't resolve the issue and that I had to go through sales to get my wishes, but in the end the fuel door now closes and the dent is gone.
Old 07-03-07, 01:00 PM
brownz
Driver

Originally Posted by SilverSprt
It's a bit embarrassing when you're at the gas station with a $50,000 dollar car that's brand new and the fuel door doesn't close and people are waiting behind you in line to fill up on gas.
Same thing happened to me this morning. It took me about 5 minutes just to get the door to go back in. This is the first problem Ive had with the car, im not even at 5000 miles yet.
Old 07-03-07, 01:10 PM
Krowbar
Driver School Candidate

I had this same problem the last time I filled up. The door "snapped" into place after resisting but even a light tap would cause it to swing open. I finally had a friend hold it down while I pressed the fuel release button again. This caused the latch to hold onto the door it worked.

I won't be able to close this door by myself the next time I fillup so I guess I'll have to visit the Lexus service center soon.
Old 07-03-07, 02:33 PM
planoag
Rookie

Wow! I have 20k miles and haven't seen this one. Hope I continue to be lucky ;-)

Quick Reply: Fuel Door Closure Issue