GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New 450h - LOUD creaking from windshield

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-07, 06:01 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 450h - LOUD creaking from windshield

I picked up my 450h yesterday in New York and drove it 300 miles home to Virginia. The car is amazing, but there is a creaking sound coming seemingly from the upper part of windshield on the passenger side. Every time the car hits a bump or relatively uneven road, it creaks like a 50 year old leather couch!

Please, help! Is it the kind of problem that other people are experiencing with their windshield/dashes? I read a couple of threads and I see people characterize the problem noise as "ticking" or "rattle". Mine is like two pieces of plastic rubbing very loudly together. It also seems to be coming from the upper part of the windshield, kind of the area to the right of the rearview mirror. But I'll be driving with my wife today to try and isolate the sound.
Old 01-21-07, 08:28 AM
rainforest
Rookie

I also have the 450h, and I have the same sound you describe, but from the base of the front windshield, near the passenger side. I was going to bring it to the dealer, but after reading other peoples' experiences, I just decided to live with it. Sometimes, having the dealer take my dash apart will likely make things worse.

But yes, every time I go over a bump, I have the same sound.
Old 01-21-07, 09:38 AM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a slight rattle on the GS430, on the driver's side where the windshield meets the dash. Kinda sounds like the dash material rubbing against the glass. However, it's not quite as strong a sound as you described though.
Old 01-21-07, 09:51 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

oh no.... another one with the dang nabbit windshield tick.
my symphathy.
there have been previous posts where some individuals will do the work themselves and do away with alot of the noise....
I personally took it to the dealership 4 times, the forth time, I watched them do the work the whole time. I said felt this foam that, felt this. and guess what.... now I have no tick.
Well actually I have a slight tight sometimes, but unless you knew what it was you'd think it was just a bump.....
99.6% gone.
good luck.
Old 01-21-07, 12:37 PM
jwa
Pole Position

It sounds typical of the problem some GS's have been having since day 1. I've had a similar issue it in both my 06 and 07 GS, but in my case it only occurs when I hit a bump. If it gets worse, I'll conceed and let them take the dash apart.
Old 01-21-07, 01:15 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

This is just unacceptable! I had a 2004 Acura TL, and the main reason for changing the car was the various creaks, rattles and other sounds that the dealer kept fixing, but new ones kept coming on! I thought Lexus cars were supposed to be completely rattle-free.
Old 01-21-07, 02:28 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a 2005 TL, worst POS ever! I agree, this is unacceptable and totally uncharacteristic of Lexus.
Old 01-21-07, 03:13 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
I had a 2005 TL, worst POS ever!
You didn't just say that, did you? Do you REALLY want to go down this road? Cause I tell you, after spending the last six hours with the manuals and the infuriating GS user interface, I'm starting to think I made a big mistake! All I need now to explode is someone calling my previous car that had a vastly superior ergonomics a POS. So I hope that was a lame attempt at a joke on your part, friend.
Old 01-21-07, 03:18 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, POS indeed. User interface and navi is one area that I will say Acura has everyone beat. That does not nearly trump how crappy they build their cars and their horrible customer service. If you would to know details, I'm happy to share. Just a tidbit of info, Acura's own vice pres of N american ops was quoted as saying that the TL was an excellent idea but horribly executed on their part.
Old 01-21-07, 06:47 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I too came from the Acura family. And, we still have a TSX in the family. I have to agree that Acura's Nav and Voice is better than Lexus. However, just check out this link.....
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...ghlight=rattle
Old 01-21-07, 08:22 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
I too came from the Acura family. And, we still have a TSX in the family. I have to agree that Acura's Nav and Voice is better than Lexus. However, just check out this link.....
http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...ghlight=rattle
Look, I'm not saying that Acuras don't have problems. I readily admit that they do. My car had tons of rattles and creaks. But calling a TL a piece of sh&* is unfair and stupid.

What I'm also saying is that I'm very disappointed with the Navigation and Bluetooth system on my new sixty thousand dollar 450h. I am more than puzzled at how Lexus can get away with such shoddy interface, **** restrictions on the users, and terrible manuals to boot! I'm even more puzzled by the attitudes of some Lexus drivers who seem to think it's Ok for Lexus to take their hard-earned money and then treat them like dumb ignorant sheep. I'm planning to raise hell with Lexus customer service and I hope other people would take action as well.
Old 01-21-07, 11:23 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

When you're done raising hell, come back and let us know how many service visits it took to realize that it will never go away. I've been in twice myself and gave up.
Old 01-22-07, 08:31 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I was 4 times with my 450h, the 4th time, I watched them.....
99.6% fixed now. If you didn't knwo what to look/listen for you wouldn't know it was the "tick"
Acura's/Honda's are great cars. Fairly reliable. But it's still a Honda. I would rather have a toyota than a honda.
They have come far, but still.... I compare them to a nissan/infiniti, not a lexus.
Agree, they have the BEST nav and voice recog. syst. out there.
For instance my BMW 550i is a 80+K, is the biggest POS when it comes to the Nav and voice recog system, but it's still a far superior car to a Acura/ Lexus in it's own areas, for instance solid feel, and better ride. OH and did I mention the 20 way articulated comfort seats?
Just because the car is a POS in one area doesn't mean it doesn't have it's pros. Acuras are good, there ok, not superior besides the NAv and Voice recog systm.
THe GS has a POS recog system in my mind, but a far better car than the Acura besides the fact I jhust mentioned.
Ya it has a few rattles, but it's not the end of the world.
Lexus came to my work once, my house twice, picked up my car on a flat bed, and left me with a loaner. They have far superior service than Acura, BMW....

Just my .04 on a few facts.
Old 01-22-07, 08:34 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
I was 4 times with my 450h, the 4th time, I watched them.....
99.6% fixed now. If you didn't knwo what to look/listen for you wouldn't know it was the "tick"
Acura's/Honda's are great cars. Fairly reliable. But it's still a Honda. I would rather have a toyota than a honda.
They have come far, but still.... I compare them to a nissan/infiniti, not a lexus.
Agree, they have the BEST nav and voice recog. syst. out there.
For instance my BMW 550i is a 80+K, is the biggest POS when it comes to the Nav and voice recog system, but it's still a far superior car to a Acura/ Lexus in it's own areas, for instance solid feel, and better ride. OH and did I mention the 20 way articulated comfort seats?
Just because the car is a POS in one area doesn't mean it doesn't have it's pros. Acuras are good, there ok, not superior besides the NAv and Voice recog systm.
THe GS has a POS recog system in my mind, but a far better car than the Acura besides the fact I jhust mentioned.
Ya it has a few rattles, but it's not the end of the world.
Lexus came to my work once, my house twice, picked up my car on a flat bed, and left me with a loaner. They have far superior service than Acura, BMW....

Just my .04 on a few facts.

Good points. There is no perfect car. Everything is a compromise.
Old 01-23-07, 03:08 PM
JetAir450h
Driver School Candidate

I traded in my '04 Acura TL for the '07 450h back in October '06. My TL had a few noises from the windshield, just to say the car ages quickly. To this day, my 450h hasn't had any creeks or or irritating noises from anywhere. I tested it out by closing all the windows, turning off the radio, A/C and seat warmers (which hum under the seats). Only hit 3200 miles and would unfortunately expect some creeks soon. Oh well, cars do depreciate.

Quick Reply: New 450h - LOUD creaking from windshield