GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

First oil change at 506 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 08:41 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-06-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 08:43 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
The oil is not dirty, it just turns black almost immediately from the carbon
No it doesnt turn black immediately. Diesel engines the oil turns black almost immediately. Gasoline engines the oil stays pretty clean the first $1k miles.
Old 01-08-07, 08:54 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-06-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 09:14 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ServerTech
Not true, and since when is Carbon Silver?

Attachment 97125
Your filter should be blocking that stuff.

I am curious to know when if ever one would stop getting metal pieces in the oil. I would think at least 10-20k miles or more but I am not sure since the rings are metals and so are hte cylinders. Metals rubs..
Old 01-09-07, 04:09 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbrandon
Your filter should be blocking that stuff.

I am curious to know when if ever one would stop getting metal pieces in the oil. I would think at least 10-20k miles or more but I am not sure since the rings are metals and so are hte cylinders. Metals rubs..
brand new engines having shavings from the build process and from new parts breaking in.

like he said, dirty oil is not why he changed it, metal in the oil is why.
Old 01-09-07, 01:26 PM
hughh
Pole Position

Cool

Originally Posted by ServerTech
I use regular dino oil not synthetic because a new engine needs to wear in and synthetic is too slippery. I've also found synthetic makes seals and gaskets leak so I just don't use the stuff. The dealers around here use "recertified" oil which is used oil ran thru a filter and put into a 55 gallon drum. Don't let them put that crap in your Lexus!

BMW among others precribe nothing but syntetic. I switched to synthetic back in '76 on a '74 Volvo I had purchased new. Only car I ever had oil leaks while running synthetic was a 93 Lexus 300.

I have had Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Nissan, Honda, etc. and no engine problems or leaks with synthetics ever. The reason I switched to synth was that the Volvo was hard to start in the cold. We were stationed in Ankara Turkey then. No one has garages and the winter temps drop down to minus zero at times. I found British Mobile 1 at a local garage, switched and that took care of the starting problem.

My 04 BMW 3 series has had no problems either and that's changing oil from day one at a recommended 15,000 miles.

Still, I find your information very interesting and I thank you for sharing with us.
Old 01-09-07, 01:49 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by baddis es
well drive acura and u still feel honda, drive and infiniti and u still feel nissan,. drive a lexus and defenitely far from toyota...even in little details resemblance is far---its what seperates lexus as a true luxury brand and infiniti/acura in the foregrounds trying to distnguish themselves (my personal opinion of course)

now bak to the thread

hopefully lexus is aware of the synthetic oil causing these types of problems and has addressed them accordingly to suit its own vehicle line-up
Putting synthetic oil in vehicles from the 80's used to cause leaks on some vehicles. I would imagine anything made since the mid nineties can use synthetic with no problems.
Old 01-09-07, 05:22 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

When is a good time to switch to synthetic oil?

I think im going to switch at 10-15k miles.
Old 01-10-07, 12:04 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well I'm at my lexus dealer now in the waiting room. The tech came out looking at me weird that I wanted my oil done at 600+ miles. I told him about this forum and showed him the pictures. He smiled and said (like the poster said) that this is normal. What he went on to say is that the filter is doing its job. and the filings wont ruin your car any more than changing the oil later date. Something about that the fine filings in the oil is still normal. When he(poster) removed the filter, what was left in oil drained out into the pan. So the filter was blocking most of those particles that you see there in the oil. He said another way to look at it is the filter isn't a magnet so the particles wont just "stick" to the filter so when the oil is drained, what wasnt trapped between the flaps drained out in the oil. And that ammount of particles you see in the oil won't clog the filter.
Anyways, he talked me out of doing the oil.
Old 01-10-07, 02:20 PM
LxS4LiFe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
When is a good time to switch to synthetic oil?

I think im going to switch at 10-15k miles.
I don't know if I'm just wasting money or what, but the first oil change I had to make on my GS430; I told the service guys to put in synthetic oil. Was that a bad choice? I don't know too much about these things. I even put synthetic oil in my beater car (92' LS400). I call it a beater car because it belonged to my father at one point and he trashed it and I'm still driving it once in a great while. LOL! I just figure that the V8 engines will last longer. So far my theory is correct . Haven't had any problems with the engine. However the aesthetics of the vehicle is another story.
Old 01-10-07, 10:11 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LxS4LiFe
I don't know if I'm just wasting money or what, but the first oil change I had to make on my GS430; I told the service guys to put in synthetic oil. Was that a bad choice? I don't know too much about these things. I even put synthetic oil in my beater car (92' LS400). I call it a beater car because it belonged to my father at one point and he trashed it and I'm still driving it once in a great while. LOL! I just figure that the V8 engines will last longer. So far my theory is correct . Haven't had any problems with the engine. However the aesthetics of the vehicle is another story.
Dont worry I have a 1996 Acura Integra GS-R as a beater. Well not a beater, just as a daily driver. I put synthetic in that car also, and change the oil everything 3-3.5k miles. Had the car since new and I have 160k miles on it and the engine runs like it has when I drove off the dealers lot in '96.
Old 01-18-07, 09:31 AM
r1lee
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Isn't a Lexus a Toyota?

>An Acura is a Honda, an Infiniti is a Nissan, but a Lexus is LEXUS !!!!!
It is to a certain point. The 2IS and the new GS's share the same platform, but they do not share that platform with any Toyota.

So some Lexus's are Toyota's. One of those would be the ES.
Old 01-21-07, 08:56 PM
nikos101
Driver School Candidate

stupid question but I'm trying to find out where the best place for jackstands would be and I couldn't tell where you set yours in the picure. where did you mount the jackstands????

Last edited by nikos101; 01-21-07 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-22-07, 06:51 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nikos101
stupid question but I'm trying to find out where the best place for jackstands would be and I couldn't tell where you set yours in the picure. where did you mount the jackstands????
See this for jack and jack stand locations. Not a GS, but locations are the same.
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/wheels.html
To change oil, I prefer Rhino Ramps. Safer all-round.

In this one you can see the jack stand.

However, I noticed a picture earlier were there was none at that spot when he was under the car. Makes me wonder if he was under there with just the jack or is he playing musical chairs with the stand?

Last edited by GS2006; 01-22-07 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-24-07, 05:05 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-06-07 at 09:19 PM.