GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

First oil change at 506 miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 11:15 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What oil did you put in there after the oil change?

At what mileage are you going to switch to full synthetic?
Old 01-08-07, 11:32 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually the dealer tells you to go back after the first 1000 miles or so and is usually a free oil change. That first change is to flush out all the metal particles and shavings. After that, your recurring oil changes will be every 5k miles.
Old 01-08-07, 11:58 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
Isn't a Lexus a Toyota?

>An Acura is a Honda, an Infiniti is a Nissan, but a Lexus is LEXUS !!!!!
Yup. You are correct sir...
Old 01-08-07, 04:24 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
What oil did you put in there after the oil change?

At what mileage are you going to switch to full synthetic?
They will actually put in their brand of full synthetic at the 5000, so I let them just for kicks.
From now on I will be taking mobile 1 full synthetic in for each oil change hereafter.
Old 01-08-07, 04:47 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are a smart man changing at the first 500 miles. the sooner all those shaving are out, the better.
Old 01-08-07, 04:59 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Actually the dealer tells you to go back after the first 1000 miles or so and is usually a free oil change. That first change is to flush out all the metal particles and shavings. After that, your recurring oil changes will be every 5k miles.
Lexus did away with the first service being at 1K, and that was a top off fluids and adjust tire pressure. At 5K is the first oil change and most dealers use a standard oil, Lexus doesn't require synthetic.
Old 01-08-07, 05:00 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Btw, great pics. I've never actually looked at the oil filter on a first service. If I write any first 5K's tomorrow I'll have to take a look.

Thanks.
Old 01-08-07, 06:04 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

So my car goes in on the 10th. for other things. Should I PAY and have them do a oil change? I mean, isn't the oild filter doing what its supposed to? As long as the iron filings are in the filter, it blocked it from being circulated back to the car. And as long as its not filled with ALOT of the filings, it should be fine too, right? I mean its not blocking oil from bein g circulated?
Old 01-08-07, 06:36 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by starstreak
So my car goes in on the 10th. for other things. Should I PAY and have them do a oil change? I mean, isn't the oild filter doing what its supposed to? As long as the iron filings are in the filter, it blocked it from being circulated back to the car. And as long as its not filled with ALOT of the filings, it should be fine too, right? I mean its not blocking oil from bein g circulated?
you didn't see the metal particles in the oil in the pics above?
Old 01-08-07, 08:20 PM
ServerTech
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Last edited by ServerTech; 04-06-07 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 08:32 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ServerTech
I wish you guys could see the oil that was in the drain pan. When you hold the drop light at an angle and swirl your finger around in the oil these big gray clouds of aluminum dust float around. Tons of tiny metal pieces and the filter can't catch them all.
The only reason the factory or dealer doesn't change the oil sooner is money. But I spent 50 grand of hard earned cash on my car (no rich parents bought anything for me) so 25 bucks for an oil change is nothing but cheap insurance. I've built racing engines for many years and clean oil is a must.
I use regular dino oil not synthetic because a new engine needs to wear in and synthetic is too slippery. I've also found synthetic makes seals and gaskets leak so I just don't use the stuff. The dealers around here use "recertified" oil which is used oil ran thru a filter and put into a 55 gallon drum. Don't let them put that crap in your Lexus!

I'm going to change my oil soon. I'm at 600 miles right now. This is my first new car and I too spent my hard earned money on my car. I'm gonna change it at around 800 miles.
Old 01-08-07, 08:35 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yup. You are correct sir...
well drive acura and u still feel honda, drive and infiniti and u still feel nissan,. drive a lexus and defenitely far from toyota...even in little details resemblance is far---its what seperates lexus as a true luxury brand and infiniti/acura in the foregrounds trying to distnguish themselves (my personal opinion of course)

now bak to the thread

I wish you guys could see the oil that was in the drain pan. When you hold the drop light at an angle and swirl your finger around in the oil these big gray clouds of aluminum dust float around. Tons of tiny metal pieces and the filter can't catch them all.
The only reason the factory or dealer doesn't change the oil sooner is money. But I spent 50 grand of hard earned cash on my car (no rich parents bought anything for me) so 25 bucks for an oil change is nothing but cheap insurance. I've built racing engines for many years and clean oil is a must.
I use regular dino oil not synthetic because a new engine needs to wear in and synthetic is too slippery. I've also found synthetic makes seals and gaskets leak so I just don't use the stuff.
hopefully lexus is aware of the synthetic oil causing these types of problems and has addressed them accordingly to suit its own vehicle line-up
Old 01-08-07, 08:35 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I use regular dino oil not synthetic because a new engine needs to wear in and synthetic is too slippery. I've also found synthetic makes seals and gaskets leak so I just don't use the stuff. The dealers around here use "recertified" oil which is used oil ran thru a filter and put into a 55 gallon drum. Don't let them put that crap in your Lexus!
When is the next time you gonna change your oil??
Old 01-08-07, 08:37 PM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

The oil is not dirty, it just turns black almost immediately from the carbon
Old 01-08-07, 08:38 PM
Firstlps
Driver

This sounds like a good tip I also spent my own hard earned money
and $25.00 seams like a good investment to save my $50,000 car
Thank you ServerTech.

Quick Reply: First oil change at 506 miles