GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

VAIS Tech Y adapter pic request

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-06, 11:50 AM
Funky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAIS Tech Y adapter pic request

Hello all,

I went to install my VAIS Tech SLI this afternoon, but none of my Y adapter connectors seem to match with my 2007 GS with Nav and ML. Just to make sure I wasn’t going too insane I had my father look at it since I’m on vacation at my parent’s house and figured someone with a PhD in Electrical Engineering would know ...unfortunately he agreed also. One connector connects to the other SLI connector and the others are way off on pin counts. Would someone that has not installed their SLI yet be kind enough to take a quick picture of the end connectors of the Y adapter before I return the cable for the proper version.

Thanks all!
Old 12-28-06, 12:06 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Hi Dan,

I don't know if this helps at all, but when I installed my SLI the picture in the manual that shows the Y adapter and which connectors are suppose to go where in the Head unit was not accurate for me. I spend 15-20 minutes going crazy cause the diagram in the manual didn't acuratley represent the correct way to hook up the unit. Once I found the right Y connector plug that plugged into the head unit, everything else pretty much fit into place.

Again, it just was acurate with what the VAIS tech manual showed. Whomever taped up the Y connector at SLI did it wrong (at least for my connector).

Hope that helps.

Steven
Old 12-28-06, 12:28 PM
nyjklein
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's tricky is that one connector on the Y cable plugs into the "extension" cable which then plugs into the SoundLinQ. So if you're trying to figure out which connector on the Y cable plugs into the SLx, the answer is none of the three.

Jeff
Old 12-28-06, 01:01 PM
Funky
Rookie

Thanks gang,

I've tried every possible connection and connector combo, but only one fits in any way, shape or form. I've since put the car back together as I have to travel to Charlotte tomorrow morning and didn't want to run into any problems putting things back together.

When I got the SLI I thought the Y adapter had fewer pins than what I remembered on the Nav, and once I got the Nav out that was definitely the case. I'll ping VAIS Tech later, but would still like to see pictures of somone else's SLI Y adapter for a 2007 GS with Nav & ML.

Dan
Old 12-28-06, 06:43 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Funky
Thanks gang,

I've tried every possible connection and connector combo, but only one fits in any way, shape or form. I've since put the car back together as I have to travel to Charlotte tomorrow morning and didn't want to run into any problems putting things back together.

When I got the SLI I thought the Y adapter had fewer pins than what I remembered on the Nav, and once I got the Nav out that was definitely the case. I'll ping VAIS Tech later, but would still like to see pictures of somone else's SLI Y adapter for a 2007 GS with Nav & ML.

Dan

Dan
the y adapter does not plug into the harness that the nav has, it goes on the radio unit that connects at a different spot.
Old 12-28-06, 07:38 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Yes, the SLI manual is a bit off in their pic. The 2 harnesses supplied in my SLI kit plugged into each other. Then one end went into the SLI metal box, and the other 2 plugs were used for the connection of the OEM radio plug into the SLI plug and of course plugging the new SLI clip into the back of the radio.

On my 2007 with NAV and ML, the connector on the back of the Lexus radio was very low and closest to the passenger side of the cabin. It is not one of the "top" row of plugs on the back of the radio that you might first suspect... none of those even comes close to matching the right size. hth
Old 12-30-06, 07:49 PM
Funky
Rookie

Thanks folks, I'll give it a try tomorrow now that I'm back at home.
Old 12-31-06, 12:22 PM
Funky
Rookie

Okay any ideas? There is no way they will connect.

First picture is of the connectors from the car:

Second picture is SLI on top with Nav below. Three on the left are the Y adapter and the two on the right are supposed to come from the SLI unit.

(poor quality but you get the idea, every other picture washed out)

The connectors in the top pic are in the order that they plug into the nav directly.
Old 01-02-07, 12:43 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Funky
Okay any ideas? There is no way they will connect.

First picture is of the connectors from the car:

Second picture is SLI on top with Nav below. Three on the left are the Y adapter and the two on the right are supposed to come from the SLI unit.

(poor quality but you get the idea, every other picture washed out)

The connectors in the top pic are in the order that they plug into the nav directly.
Those connectors are from the top unit in the stack. The one you need is actually way down at the bottom, like behind the cassette deck area. There's another row of three connectors down there. The one in the middle is your man. I just put the VIAS SLI in tonight, and I was confused the same.