GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Acura TL to Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-06, 08:16 PM
nore03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura TL to Lexus

hey i am curious on if anyone has come from an Acura to a Lexus. I am sure there are alot of people who have. But I would just like to know if you were happy with the jump or if you have any regrets. There are alot of upgrades going to the 06 GS from the TL and i am considering the GS now since a friend pointed it out to me. I hope this isn't a constant question asked. I did a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance. Just wanted to see how others felt about the move.
Old 12-16-06, 12:02 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I test drove a TL but it had quite a bit of torque steer. It drove pretty nice and had that really nice Honda feel. I liked the the styling when it came out but lately it's been looking pretty dated esp compared to the GS. One of my hygeinists and one of my office managers both have TLs. They seem to be happy with theirs.
Old 12-16-06, 12:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by nore03
hey i am curious on if anyone has come from an Acura to a Lexus. I am sure there are alot of people who have. But I would just like to know if you were happy with the jump or if you have any regrets. There are alot of upgrades going to the 06 GS from the TL and i am considering the GS now since a friend pointed it out to me. I hope this isn't a constant question asked. I did a search and couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance. Just wanted to see how others felt about the move.
Welcome to CLublexus. I know we have had quite a few TL owners jump to the last gen GS and a couple to the new GS. The TL is a good car however, the GS is a great car and worth the extra money.

Good luck.
Old 12-16-06, 02:37 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I had a 05 TL, huge mistake, car was a nice idea but horribly executed, poor build quality with paint, finish and rattling issues. Honda/Acura customer service should be called "go F yourself people". Loving Lexus, once you make the jump you'll realize how much of a fake wannabe luxury car company Acura is. You cant go wrong with a GS, are you getting a used 06 or new 07? I'd recommend getting the 07.
Old 12-16-06, 02:45 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Did someone say rattles? I agree with the above, my GS expereince has been stellar! I am very pleased so far.
Old 12-16-06, 06:36 AM
sleepyhead
Driver School Candidate

i just miss the tl's voice navi.... i think she sounds sexier compared to lexus' voice navi
Old 12-16-06, 08:04 AM
nore03
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
Yes, I had a 05 TL, huge mistake, car was a nice idea but horribly executed, poor build quality with paint, finish and rattling issues. Honda/Acura customer service should be called "go F yourself people". Loving Lexus, once you make the jump you'll realize how much of a fake wannabe luxury car company Acura is. You cant go wrong with a GS, are you getting a used 06 or new 07? I'd recommend getting the 07.
well it depends on how much i come up with by the time i'm ready to buy as a down payment. I'm out of the country right now so i am waiting til i get back and get settled in. If i get to my goal then the 07 it will be but i am probably lookin at a used 06. My son is 3 months old so i dont wanna spend more money than i have to. I don't really know wat the differences are between the 06 and 07 models but everything i saw in the 06 was GREAT to me. I never really considered a Lexus but as the TL is gettin alot more common on the roads its almost like why not make the jump.
Old 12-16-06, 11:56 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Ok, so you mentioned son, he'll be riding in the back I presume. 07 adds the rear side airbags which I believe is enough of a justification for the 07 but you also get upgraded navi, more horsepower, less to no rattles, better resale (300s are getting killed due to the 350 launch), better wheels (430 wheels on the 350), knee airbags for front occupants, and some other things that I forget.
Old 12-16-06, 11:58 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Unfortunately the above WILL cost you, and the 300 resale getting killed by the 350 will work to your benefit if the money situation doesn't justify the 350. Best of luck to ya in either case. Keep us informed.
Old 12-16-06, 12:12 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Acura makes a nice car, BUT lexus is the better car by far.
In the acura you find alot of just upgraded honda stuff.
Lexus builds a better, longer lasting, more comfort, plus many more....
NO for Acura, YES for Lexus
Old 12-16-06, 01:00 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should check this ES vs TL thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=Acura+TL

BTW, you will not get 18" GS430 wheels on AWD GS350
Old 12-16-06, 04:38 PM
Mccattack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
You should check this ES vs TL thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=Acura+TL

BTW, you will not get 18" GS430 wheels on AWD GS350

Agreed with Twister. You can't really compare a $30,000 car with a $50,000 car and get a fair outcome.
Old 12-16-06, 05:15 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usualy people compare RL with GS, and TL with ES. Do a search on this 3GS forum, we already had a discussion in here when some guy was looking for RL vs GS for his mother.
Old 12-16-06, 07:47 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you can tell from my sig, I am an Acura fan, but I will say that the TL is not even close to being in the same league as the GS. More luxury, better build quality and no torque steer.

The only advantage that the TL has is the voice recognition and the Nav. Acura has some of the most user friendly and functional Navs on the market, and the VR really is usable in the Acuras.
Old 12-18-06, 11:39 AM
nore03
Driver School Candidate

I understand all your points. I know that the TL is not in the same league as the GS. But i was thinking that I should upgrade to a better car but wasn't sure if going to the GS would be a great upgrade. I was thinking of going to the RL since it is a great buy but there is something about the Lexus that just keeps pulling me closer to it. I don't really like the ES, it doesn't really attract me like how the GS does. The new GS does sound like a better buy especially with the rear seat airbags. Little Randy is all that matters to me so i would wanna keep him protected, but something in my head keeps saying that I don't need to go to the newer model. The decision will all matter when I calculate how much money i will have as a down payment and what my monthly payments will be. I hate car payments and always try my best to have a small car payment so that i can pay the car off as quickly as possible maybe like within a year or 2. I am going to do alittle more comparison between the RL and the GS to be on the safe side. My best friend is going to get a GS in the spring and that is another thing i didnt want. Since we hang out alot I don't want to be stuck with feeling like I should have gone with the RL to be different. Its bad enough everyone has a TL its like Acura had a buy one get one free sale. I want a car that I can say that yes I am the only one around here with this(sounds crazy but thats me).

Quick Reply: Acura TL to Lexus