GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Flooring my GS 430

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-06, 08:03 AM
beachfront
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooring my GS 430

Just wondering...

When I am taking a corner and want to floor the car, there seems to be a giant pause in the power and then it rev's up and goes...

Is this normal or do I need some adjusting? It is almost like I am flooding the engine for a second then it will kick in and go...

I seem to recall I might have had this problem on my 300 when I first bought it..

Anyone else get this "pause" in power when you stomp on the gas?

-----------
THX
Old 12-07-06, 08:11 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Flooring the GS usually for me is very ungratifying...Lexus in their relentless pursuit of perfection, seems to isolate the driver from the car....I find the pedal not being attached to the throttle directly being very very annoying.....you floor it and it hesitates and decides what you mean it to do, then it may modulate the power to make sure your traction is maintained (youll see the yellow light come on, and if youve turned VSC off then it will beep at you to remind you) and with ECT on, you can floor it for a few seconds, let off and the engine will just rev at 4000-5000 rmps for a few seconds then decides you dont want it like that and up shifts....it is just plain goofy as hell IMHO
Old 12-07-06, 08:13 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I'm not the one to answer your question (ok, I'll admit it... I haven't floored my car yet ), but I am curious, does "taking a corner" have anything to do with it? Or said differently does it do the same thing when you punch it on a straight away?

If only I had the self confident that many of you possess to just go for it, without the fear of a cop waiting in the wings to pull me over or smashing into some unforseen object and ruining my precious new GS.
Old 12-07-06, 08:14 AM
hsk73
Lead Lap

Are you sure it's not the traction control kicking in??
Old 12-07-06, 08:49 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Use the manual shift, works much better. It is more responsive. Let us know if you notice the difference.
Old 12-07-06, 09:59 AM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GS2006
Use the manual shift, works much better. It is more responsive. Let us know if you notice the difference.
I find the manual shift to be quite useless, sorry....
Old 12-07-06, 10:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sbrown02
I'm not the one to answer your question (ok, I'll admit it... I haven't floored my car yet ), but I am curious, does "taking a corner" have anything to do with it? Or said differently does it do the same thing when you punch it on a straight away?
When taking a hard turn, most likely one of the wheel isn't getting as much traction as the other, so the traction control comes in and robs some power. This maybe the the case for hesitation.

Of course this can be hugely reduced with the use of Limit slip differential
Old 12-07-06, 10:20 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

use the break/parking break hack to disable the trac and VSC. Then try flooring it around a corner. Even though it'll shift down a gear unless your in manual, this will at least give you the result your looking for.
I don't have a problem around corners as I have the hybrid, instant torque, but I disabled the VSC and Trac, and tried it, and it was that much better.

Disable VSC/TRAC
4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
6. Disengage the parking brake.
7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
8. Engage the parking brake, the disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
9. Engage the parking brake, the disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
10. Release the brake pedal.
11. Engage the parking brake.
12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

* When the "Check VSC" icon is displayed in the multifunction display along with the "Trac-off" icon indicator, you'll know that you have successfully complete the procedure! Your car is transformed!

*** One the car is started you have 30 seconds to complete the process. With practice, the procedure can be completed in app. 15 seconds, unfortunately, must be repeated each time the car is switched off (all systems are returned back to normal).
Old 12-07-06, 10:26 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Why, and how did you use it? I find using very usefull once moving. More responsive than pushing the gas pedel.
Old 12-07-06, 10:30 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Just noticed you have a 300. Works well in the 430.
Old 12-07-06, 05:37 PM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jace7
use the break/parking break hack to disable the trac and VSC. Then try flooring it around a corner. Even though it'll shift down a gear unless your in manual, this will at least give you the result your looking for.
I don't have a problem around corners as I have the hybrid, instant torque, but I disabled the VSC and Trac, and tried it, and it was that much better.

Disable VSC/TRAC
4. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
5. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
6. Disengage the parking brake.
7. Fully depress and hold down the brake pedal.
8. Engage the parking brake, the disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
9. Engage the parking brake, the disengage it (while holding down the brake pedal).
10. Release the brake pedal.
11. Engage the parking brake.
12. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.
13. Fully depress the brake pedal and then release.

* When the "Check VSC" icon is displayed in the multifunction display along with the "Trac-off" icon indicator, you'll know that you have successfully complete the procedure! Your car is transformed!

*** One the car is started you have 30 seconds to complete the process. With practice, the procedure can be completed in app. 15 seconds, unfortunately, must be repeated each time the car is switched off (all systems are returned back to normal).
Jace7, This is pretty cool. I tried this out and works as you explained it. However, Its annoying. Is there a way to have the cpu remember to turn off the vsc? I don't want to do this every time i get in the car. I never know when i will have the urge or the need to push my car. Does anyone know how to turn this thing off permanently?
Old 12-07-06, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Probably VDIM kicking in and spoiling the fun.
Old 12-07-06, 10:40 PM
LexFather

GS is also drive by wire, thus a slight delay when u hit the gas.
I had a GS 400 which was not that system and the car was faster to react when I hit the gas from a start.

As for it cutting when u hit a corner, it sounds like the VDIM kicking in.
Old 12-07-06, 10:58 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

If we're talking about auto, its Probably like my Sienna its trying to figure out how many down****s to take before moving. I hate it for that. Like I punch it and then it doesnt move. Then it down****s and waaaaahhhaaaaaaaaa. I hope the IS I'm thinking about isnt like that. Changing lanes and flooring it in the Sienna isn't fun.

note: why did it put *** in my word d o w n s h i f t s?
Old 12-08-06, 08:59 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

This is something you have to do EVERY time you start the car. If you want this feature disabled.

Quick Reply: Flooring my GS 430