GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Bluetooth Phone Dial-Out Bypass - For Non-Nav 06 GS

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-06, 02:40 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs up Bluetooth Phone Dial-Out Bypass - For Non-Nav 06 GS

Ok guys, credit goes to VVT-i, SGT, ScareyH22A.....This is a SIMPLE single wire mod that allows the 06 GS to dial out while in motion, with no other side effects as far as I can tell......

Disclaimer>
But before I begin, a word of caution. If you injure yourself because you were trying to dial a phone number while driving, I am not responsible.
I figure it is easier to dial this way then trying to dial on your phone and **** off the person youre calling because there is a lame 2 second connection delay.....

First remove the nav unit....it is easy, follow these steps....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160

The plastic hardware is quite good and does not crack easily, be gentle, and things come apart easily. Couple of observations, the 1st plastic clip below the entire unit actually slides backwards and off, not down and off. 2nd, the side leather pieces come off quite easily, first pull laterally at the rear end of the pieces then straight back on the whole thing towards the back of the car (forward clips go in and out front to back, not side to side). Nav unit comes out after 10mm bolts are removed, but you need to rock the assembly slight to help loosen it.

Here is the mod, On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it. You are done

You can cut this wire and tape it or whatever you wish.....but that is all that is needed. Now when you hit the phone button on the steering wheel, a dial pad comes up when in motion as if you are parked (instead of one touch).

Put car back together, and enjoy.

Pic taken from thread.....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=92

ONLY purple wire at the far left in the pic is cut, leave the other wires untouched.......
Attached Thumbnails Bluetooth Phone Dial-Out Bypass - For Non-Nav 06 GS-topdownsmall5rp.jpg  

Last edited by EyeKutr; 11-17-06 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-18-06, 10:17 PM
EyeKutr

Default Update

Update...this procedure above should work in the exact manner in an 07 GS350 as well, exact same wire, violet color....same spot on the harness.

I did this bypass on a GS300 with Nav and no-ML, but I had to install a switch as simply disrupting that single wire messed up the NAV badly.....by that I mean the vehicle depended only on satellite to locate itself on the map, and it was very erroneous, close but off enough to upset me. So the switch essentially recompletes the circuit so that it is as if the bypass is not there and Nav gets VSS input. YES this single wire feeds the VSS input into nav..... I am not certain if this allowed the input of addresses, I cant check anymore, sorry, maybe someone could post about this.....

Sonartech comments on this...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=149

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&postcount=153

Last edited by EyeKutr; 11-18-06 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-29-06, 07:35 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to enabling BT dialpad, does this fix also enables viewing of song folder on mp3 CDs or MSG text from radio stations? Both of these get disabled the same way as BT while in motion. So, I'm wondering if its the same signal controlled by that puple wire?
Old 11-30-06, 07:42 AM
EyeKutr

As soon as my car is back, I will try and let you know, it is getting de-rattleized again.....LOL
Old 12-02-06, 05:27 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Got it done today. Took me around 30 minutes, thanks for that Audio/NAV unit removal instructions. I ended up using a screw-on termination cap.

So now, in addition to BT bypass removal (absolutely love it!!!), now you can also access all the folders and file listing on MP3 CDs. Radio station "MSG" button is still not accessible, but it doesn't work in my case even when car is parked. I wonder if this has to do with available MSG from radio station itself? Either way, getting BT and MP3 file folder unlocked is a really cool thing. Thanks!!!
Old 12-02-06, 09:01 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by twister
Got it done today. Took me around 30 minutes, thanks for that Audio/NAV unit removal instructions. I ended up using a screw-on termination cap.

So now, in addition to BT bypass removal (absolutely love it!!!), now you can also access all the folders and file listing on MP3 CDs. Radio station "MSG" button is still not accessible, but it doesn't work in my case even when car is parked. I wonder if this has to do with available MSG from radio station itself? Either way, getting BT and MP3 file folder unlocked is a really cool thing. Thanks!!!
I am glad it worked, MSG button only shows up on stations that broadcast the message (RDS data)....find one of those and see what happens. Also just to confirm for others can you tell us what you have, I assume it is a non ML non Nav 07 right?? it was just a single wire that did the trick right, is it the same color as in 06?
Old 12-02-06, 09:29 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, I have '07 GS350 non ML/NAV and it was a single purple wire of K46 connector. Regarding MSG, there was one radiostation which used to have info while in park. But for some weird reason its doesn't have it anymore. Can't wait for my Sirius install!!!
Old 12-23-06, 10:35 AM
EyeKutr

Update...this does not allow the MSG button while in drive, the key pad while in motion is awesome !!
Old 12-23-06, 12:23 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can this be done on a non-nav with ML? Also, can this be done without removing the entire center consol?
Old 12-23-06, 02:34 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by starstreak
Can this be done on a non-nav with ML? Also, can this be done without removing the entire center consol?
yes it should still be a single wire job, now with ML you can also do the entire dvd bypass which allows DVDs to be played on the screen....look for that in the thread at the top (sticky)....also you need to remove the center console as the wire is plugged in to the back of the stereo....i dont know where it runs in the car and everything else is covered anyways, both with plastic protective tubing and carpeting, taking the stereo out is fairly basic..
Old 12-23-06, 03:16 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

hmm interesting.
Mental note for ppl who dont want a dvd playing while driving... my take on it is that's more for my kids in the back seat. both can stretch their necks a little and watch a dvd playing and I can watch the road without hearing them ask me stuff like how long to get somewhere.

It'll be good if thats the case (playing dvd while moving) as for my lcd doesnt do much while I drive as most of the lcd displays the same thing my driver information lcd in my dashboard will do the same.
Old 03-21-10, 05:16 PM
peewhy
Driver

this apply with non navi non ML 06 gs300 was wondering about the mp3 cd also and would i be able to do the dvd bypass? or if i can install a dvd player if there is a aux port or so...