GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Remote Start -- Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-06, 07:56 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ucmyGS350
I agree with you. It is annoying carrying 2 key fobs...But technically you really don't have to carry BOTH remote, you just have to carry the OEM to be able to drive the car. The aftermarket fob for the remote start is only good for: remote start, unlock, and lock doors. You can't drive with it.

So you can just use the aftermarket Fob to warm up the car in the mornings, leave that at home and then just bring the OEM with you.
In my case I have to carry both FOBs since I am unable to leave
the remote start FOB at home (I live in a condo and have to go all
the way downstairs before I unlock the car). I like the fact that
I can start the car from my bedroom, so having to carry the second
FOB is only a minor inconvenience.
Old 12-29-06, 11:45 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm bringing this topic back Got my Remote Start installed two days ago. This is an aftermarket part, and as you can see from my sig, its Viper 160XV model. It was got it done through my dealer (Ray Catena Lexus) since they give you a loaner for a day while the install is done by their sub-contracting shop. The price was $695, with a breakdown of 1/3 for the part and the rest is labor. Didn't realize how much work involves installing this due to a Push Start. I guess the main thing is to trick the car into "pressing" the break pedal to activate the start. They had to install a special relay switch next to the break pedal to emulate that. The remote FOB is very small, less than half of our original Lexus FOB and much thinner. Basically, as it was described before, you need both to operate. You push the *star* button on remote to start the car while still keeping the doors locked. When next to the car, you use the same remote to unlock the door (at this time your original Lexus FOB will not unlock it). Than, get into your car and start driving. I assume you need the original Lexus FOB for a start transceiver communication? Obviously, for an extended operation range you get an inside antenna (approximately 6-7 inches long) which they installed along the rear view mirror mounting, very neat and you can't even see it in there. Also, my remote start fob has AUX button with extra functions programmed into it; still have to figure out all of those. In addition, they installed a kill switch to disable remote start from inside of the car, in case of special situations.

Overall, I'm very happy with the install and functionality of this remote start, and glad they chose Viper system with a small FOB My only gripe is with relay switch next to the break pedal. Every single time you press and release the break pedal (especially in a stop'n'go traffic) you hear the "click-click". Probably something I will get used to soon, just like that AWD hump next to gas pedal which I'm already used to , but for now its annoying me The car is so friggin quiet inside, not a rattle or a squeak, just hearing click-click with every press of break pedal. I might just put some foam insulation around it or something like that.

I think any advance remote start will work in this situation, just a very tedious job to wire, to install, and to program everything, including hardwiring the relay switch. So, for those of you guys who got it on East Coast from Ray Catena, now you know they can do it for your, and you also get a full warranty from Ray Catena directly. Others can request their dealership and reference this Viper 160XV unit as a confirmed remote start model for GS300/350/430.

BTW, a question to "marshmallo" and "ucmyGS350". Did you get a relay installed next to the break pedal? If so, does it have the same clicking?
Old 12-29-06, 12:53 PM
ucmyGS350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for reminding me about this post...

Yes, my car has been making that annoying "click click" sound each press and let go of the brake...it is so friggin annoying. i can't even have a nice quiet ride. Its to a point where i'm willing to have them take out the remote start just so i can have a quiet ride...i drive in NYC traffic most of the time...so i'm braking every 10 seconds...it gets VERY annoying.

so...i brought my car back to the dealership last week and told the service manager...there has to be something that can be done to rid this noise..they called me back that afternoon and said they have to order a new relay for me that will make the noise go away...They just called me back today and told me to bring the car in next thursday.

I'm really hoping that new relay will do the trick like they said...i will keep you posted of which part they replaced so you can get ray catena to do the same for you...

one thing that they said to me i found disturbing was they told me the ppl they hired to do the remote start realizes this "noise" is a defect on all the installations. but they continue to install cars with this noisy relay?..they only upgrade those to a "quiet" relay when customers complain about the noise? I thought it was just my lexus dealer that hired these idiots..didn't realize ray catena hired the same type of idiots as well?

Maybe if enough of us complain to lexus about the ppl they hire to do this job...things will be different going forward?:
Old 12-29-06, 12:56 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
BTW, a question to "marshmallo" and "ucmyGS350". Did you get a relay installed next to the break pedal? If so, does it have the same clicking?
twister, no relay was installed next to the brake pedal for my
unit. One slight nuisance is that a small receiver unit is now located
on my windshield. Although it is small, it's not pretty to look at

My remote start unit is working great so far
Old 12-29-06, 01:37 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

@marshmallo: Do you know what brand of remote start they used? Mine is working great too, no complains. Just a relay clicking is the only PITA By "small receiver", do you mean a little antenna or some kind of a block receiver unit? Can you take a picture? Just curious, how did they bypass pressing the break pedal? I don't think its possible. Can you ask your dealership, maybe they did put a little relay and you just didn't see it? Very curious about that.

@ucmyGS350: I know what you mean "stop'n'go" traffic LOL!!! Listen, its a great news about that new relay. The problem is that every electromechanical device has a FIT rating - Failure In Time, since you will be pressing that relay hundred thousands of times, it has to last before it fails. I'm not complaining about my dealership guys (that place where installation was done is top notch!!!), they did a great job and told me there is no better relay to do this business. So, I can't wait for you to get your new relay switch and post your comment in here!!!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed before I'm gonna go nuts in here

I just took the pictures of my remote start antenna and remote, hirdwired x50 and sirius antenna, and my AWD hump LOL!!! Will post it all tonight!!!
Old 12-29-06, 01:57 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twister
@marshmallo: Do you know what brand of remote start they used? Mine is working great too, no complains. Just a relay clicking is the only PITA By "small receiver", do you mean a little antenna or some kind of a block receiver unit? Can you take a picture? Just curious, how did they bypass pressing the break pedal? I don't think its possible. Can you ask your dealership, maybe they did put a little relay and you just didn't see it? Very curious about that.
I am not quite sure what brand of remote start they used, but I am
pretty sure it is not a Viper unit. The person who installed it worked
for a company called Advanced Mobile. I can't take a picture of the
receiver right now, since I am away from home, but I can try to take
pics once I get back. I will also check the brake area for any changes
they may have made that I did not notice.

Whatever they did does not seem to cause additional noise...
Old 12-29-06, 04:42 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a picture of my Viper remote start FOB in comparison to Lexus FOB. Its smaller and very thin.
Attached Thumbnails Remote Start -- Question-viper_fob.jpg  
Old 12-29-06, 04:45 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a remote start antenna, along the rear view mirror mounting fixture.
Attached Thumbnails Remote Start -- Question-remote_antenna.jpg  
Old 01-04-07, 03:10 PM
ucmyGS350
Rookie

Default another remote start question...

For those of you that have remote starters...

have you tried driving down the block from your house without the keyfobs? both original and starter fob? I've done it where i leave the keyfobs at home and just take it for a spin around the block..no problem...AND if i turn the engine off and then press the start button again...the car starts? How is this possible?

or second scenario...

i warm up the car using the remote from inside the house...then leave the fobs in the house and go drive the car...the car would stall when you put it in drive...but i pressed the start button and the starts again? all this while the dash gives the warning "key not dectected"?

I don't understand?
Old 01-04-07, 05:41 PM
ucmyGS350
Rookie

Just picked up my car.....NO MORE CLICKING NOISE!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-07, 06:09 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, gotta try it I'm sure it has to do something with how they wired your remote start module.

I'm happy your clicking got resolved. I will call my dealer tomorrow so they can take care of it next week. I will also ask them to change the delay on the remote start shut off. Right now I get about 10-20 seconds from starting the car to getting it and putting in Reverse/Drive, otherwise car will shut off. That defeats the whole purpose of remote start to take your time to warm up the car or to clean the show off (if we ever going to get snow here).
Old 01-04-07, 10:57 PM
atraidman
Driver School Candidate

Folks - Has anyone been able to dig up more info on the Lexus OEM remote start? That OEM remote in the original pic with the Lexus logo on it is quite nice looking. LCD screen and all. If someone can navigate the Japanese parts sites, we should be able to find and order it. Of course, then there's the installation.... Does the LS460 have a factory remote start option perhaps from which we could learn something?
Old 01-05-07, 09:50 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I remember reading a post in here about someone getting this kit, I think it was Carson Toyota , but not able to install it. Either way, I woldn't hold my breath for it. Even if one going to be available sometimes in the future, it will be very pricey. And, if you want a FOB with LCD display, you can get this Viper Remote Start system
Old 01-05-07, 10:45 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

Hey guys I just stumbled upon this thread. I may be able to shed SOME light on this topic. I am a retailer in MA and I install close to 1000 remote starts a year. Now with the new push to start there is a product out there that is made by audiovox I believe, that will allow us Lexus owners to install remote start without putting a key in the car.

UCMYGS350, I am not sure but the problem that you are having sounds like there is a key buried in that car somewhere. If the person that installed your remote start placed a key in a module under your dash anyone can jump in your car when it is remote started, hit push to start and drive away. That is the reason I have not istalled one on a push to start lexus yet.

Now the company out of MA that is Advanced Mobile is using a diff system that is made by Audiovox I beleive. In this case they are not required to put a key in the module under the dash which obviously makes it completely safe. I am going to call my Audiovox rep today to find out which product it is and if I can get my hands on one. I will keep you psoted.

Atraidman, Lexus currently does not offer a remote start option, the dealers have retailers like myself or someone else install then then charge you even more than we would.
Old 01-05-07, 04:50 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Lexis11,

I don't think ucmyGS350 has key inside, otherwise why would a system be displaying "key is not detected"? Even so your explanation makes sense, hmm. What do you think of Viper 160XV that was installed by guys working with my dealer? Don't know how they programmed it, but I still have both of my keys (nothing hidden inside of the car), and I need to have a key with me in order to start the car. They will just have to reprogram the unit to allow longer time before remote start disabled, and move that damn clicking break pedal relay away from the break pedal The car is dead silent inside, except I have to hear that click-click everytime I tap the break pedal That should be fixed soon....

Quick Reply: Remote Start -- Question