GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

22's on the GS

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 09:00 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone Has His Or Her Taste But Bigger Isnt Better In My Opinion. Not For A Gs...you Will Suffer In Turning Radius And Even With A Kit You Will Still Look Like You Are Waiting For A Flood. If It's About "stunning"...a Nice Set Of Hre's, Iforged, Or Lowenharts Will Always Win Over A Cheap Set Of 22's. Considering A Nice Set Of 20" Hre Will Run 6000 Plus With Nice Tires...you Cant Beat That Kind Of Props And It's Classy And More Car Guys Respect Class.

Show Judges Will Always Give Props To Class Over "size". I Know Hre And The Other Highend Company Make 22"s But I'm Sure You Would Have To Custom Them And They Might Be 8000 Plus With Decent Tires.

Remember A Gs Is A Luxury Car. In My Opinion, Do Everything In Moderation. You'll Get Attention With 22's But The Comments Will Not Be As Nice As A Nice Set Of 20's With A Good Lowering Job On The Car.
Old 12-04-06, 09:23 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HKN
Everyone Has His Or Her Taste But Bigger Isnt Better In My Opinion. Not For A Gs...you Will Suffer In Turning Radius And Even With A Kit You Will Still Look Like You Are Waiting For A Flood. If It's About "stunning"...a Nice Set Of Hre's, Iforged, Or Lowenharts Will Always Win Over A Cheap Set Of 22's. Considering A Nice Set Of 20" Hre Will Run 6000 Plus With Nice Tires...you Cant Beat That Kind Of Props And It's Classy And More Car Guys Respect Class.

Show Judges Will Always Give Props To Class Over "size". I Know Hre And The Other Highend Company Make 22"s But I'm Sure You Would Have To Custom Them And They Might Be 8000 Plus With Decent Tires.

Remember A Gs Is A Luxury Car. In My Opinion, Do Everything In Moderation. You'll Get Attention With 22's But The Comments Will Not Be As Nice As A Nice Set Of 20's With A Good Lowering Job On The Car.
well said. but there are different people out there that are just like wow, those things are blingin. and some that are like" those are nice, but couldve went bigger" IMO. to each their own. btw, stay with 20's.
Charley
Old 12-04-06, 09:32 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

Yep...i Think 21 Would Be Ok But Again, You Lose Turning Radius And You Willllllll Rub...and I'm Sure The Ride Is Rough...all That For Bigger Wheels When 20 Is Already On The Edge Of Rubbing...if It Is Worth The Uptake Then Go For It...i've Seen 3gs On 19's And They Look Nice When Dropped....a Dropped Car Will Alllllways Win Over One Waiting For The Flood. The Gs Is Not A Truck...try To Keep It Low =p
Old 12-05-06, 04:49 PM
jabbar2002
Rookie

basically it all ***** down to what u like, if u like 20's cool. but 20's so dont do it for me. the wheel well is too big on the car. to me the point of aftermarket rims is to fill up the space. the 22's (235/30/22) on my car dont make it sit like a truck. it looks dam near stock bc my tires are so skinny. everybody thinks my 22's came with the car. i dont know if yall have been paying attention but alot of new cars are have bigger wheel wheels. where as if u had the the 2nd gs 20's would do the job. but on the 3rd GS it just doesnt do it. and y would i put 20's on my car then lower it. that means that i would be trying to fill up the wheel well and 22s do it perferct. and flashy is kind of silly bc your in a 50k car that looks like a UFO people are going to stare regardless.
Old 12-05-06, 06:06 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jabbar2002
where as if u had the the 2nd gs 20's would do the job. but on the 3rd GS it just doesnt do it. and y would i put 20's on my car then lower it. that means that i would be trying to fill up the wheel well and 22s do it perferct. and flashy is kind of silly bc your in a 50k car that looks like a UFO people are going to stare regardless.
I can totally understand what you are saying about the full wheelwell, thats the look that alot of people are going after. The only difference is most of the guys around here also are concerned with the stance of the vehicle and since even 20" wheels raise the car up a bit higher than stock (fender gap and the bottom of the car off the ground) that is the reason for lowering. 22's do completely fill the wheelwell, however they also raise the car off the ground ALOT so compared to a stock GS it does not look natural. The front bumper of the car particularly gets to a really large gap off the ground.

I will give you my honest opinion ( just my opinion), the 3GS is no larger than the 2GS so 22" wheels on a car thats 189" long is just a bit odd to me (the 2 wheels appear to be a little too close together). For comparison one of the cars you see 22's on the most is the 745 which is either 198" or 203.5" long this puts the wheels alot further apart and makes them look more natural.

As I said before, I dont think enough people give 21's a chance, I think with a lowering it would look super aggressive, but not over the top.

Just to clarify, you are happy with your wheels and I (nor anyone else here) is knocking that, different strokes for different folks and I respect all modders. I just wanted to help clarify for teh guys on this side as well.

Enjoy your car!
Old 12-05-06, 08:10 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

About The Comment On Why Lower The Car To "fill" The Wheel Well...most Of The Ppl Who Like To Mod Cars Including Myself Lower A Car For Performance As Well As Looks. A Lowered 3gs Will Respond A Heck Lot Better Then A Stock One As Well As Braking Better. So To Say We Lower To Reduce The Wheel Gap Is Not Correct. Again A Lowered Car Will Always Look Better. Not Dropped To The Ground But Lowered. My 3gs Is Lowered With A One Finger Gap...roughly So It Sits Pretty Nice. Also...22's Are Alot Heavier Than 20's...and Allllllllot Heavier Than Forged 20's.

All Boils Down The Performance And Look Not Just Looks.
Old 12-05-06, 08:18 PM
T.K.O.
Lexus Test Driver

Does This Guy Have A Script Or Is He Just Naturally Weird Like That.

I say throw TWENNY TWAN TWANNNS ON WHATEV.

BAAAALLLLIIIINNNNN!

If I could afford 22s I'd throw em on my 2nd gen GS in a heartbeat. I actually might just do that.. well **** maybe I should just go with 20s.. whats this talk about 21s? And whats all involved in getting the rims.. do u have to lower? **** I'll ask on the 2nd gen board so I don't bother you BALLINISTIC cats! But if you'd like to help me out.. get at me on AIM: stefanstyles

or send me a private message!

BALLLINNNNN!!!!!!!!! BREEP BREEP
Old 12-05-06, 08:55 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

The 20's We Talking About Are Alot More Than The 22's You Are Referring To...class Dont Always Bling...AND WE ARE ALSO TALKING ABOUT MODS FOR PERFORMANCE NOT JUST LOOKS...READ THE "SCRIPT" BRO...
Old 12-06-06, 12:51 AM
Q45th
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HKN
About The Comment On Why Lower The Car To "fill" The Wheel Well...most Of The Ppl Who Like To Mod Cars Including Myself Lower A Car For Performance As Well As Looks. A Lowered 3gs Will Respond A Heck Lot Better Then A Stock One As Well As Braking Better. So To Say We Lower To Reduce The Wheel Gap Is Not Correct. Again A Lowered Car Will Always Look Better. Not Dropped To The Ground But Lowered. My 3gs Is Lowered With A One Finger Gap...roughly So It Sits Pretty Nice. Also...22's Are Alot Heavier Than 20's...and Allllllllot Heavier Than Forged 20's.

All Boils Down The Performance And Look Not Just Looks.
Sorry I have to disagree with your statement. Just because 22's are 2 inches bigger than 20's dont mean they are heavier. Thats just like saying all 6ft guys are heavier than all 5"10 guys which we all know isnt true. Generally 3 piece wheels will be alot less heavier than any other 1 pc or 2pc wheels no matter what size. I have 22" 3pc forged wheels and they are just slightly heavier than my previous stock wheels (17") and I know they are lighter than most 20" wheels inlcuding other 20" forged wheels.

Last edited by Q45th; 12-06-06 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-06-06, 06:26 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

Oh Of Course...read The Post...the Guy Previously Was Refering To Cast 22's Based On His Pics...if You Read My Earlier Post I Did Say All Forged Wheels Are Lighter...but On My Defense...i'm Sure My Forged 20's Are Lighter Than Your Forged 22's =p
Old 12-06-06, 10:09 AM
jabbar2002
Rookie

yeah i can see lowering a car for performance but thats thats not what im going for. im not trying to change my car into a speed racer. im not into going fast i already have to many speeding tickets, besides if i was looking for more performance i would have gotten a GS430 of faster car. i bought if for pure stlying and cruising. nothing else. so yeah i know my 22's are heaver then 20's but as long as i can reach at least 100mph when i want then im str8. my cuz has a 01 acura 3.2cl s type with 20s and i smoked him with 22s so a few more pounds is not gona kill me.
cant loose with 22's thats whats up
Old 12-06-06, 12:07 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

Performance For Me Meaning Real Driving Like Manuvering Through Traffic...braking...not Speed...no One Here Is Planning To Drag Their Gs Or Luxury Car...try To Out Manuver A Gs On Forged 20 With Your 22's...if The Driver Is Experienced, There Will Be A Difference With A Lowered Car On 20 Vs Stock Height On 22's...that's All I'm Saying.

Look Folks, 22's Are Great...i Look At Them...but The 22's I Like Are Hre's, Iforged, Avus....blah Blah Blah. So No Offense. You Guys Can Go Put 22's On The Gs. We All Have Differences In Option. We Just Get Caught Up In Defending Ours...no Worries.
Old 12-06-06, 06:37 PM
knicker
Pole Position

i have 22's and I love them....the dish isnt all that great but i love the way the 22' s set off the car.
Attached Thumbnails 22's on the GS-car2.jpg  
Old 12-06-06, 06:42 PM
sportdsign
Rookie

Nice ride . What grill is that?
Old 12-07-06, 10:22 AM
jabbar2002
Rookie

knicker what size are your tires and rims. and do u have rubbing issuses 2 if some one sit in the back

Quick Reply: 22's on the GS