GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 DVD/Nav Bypass tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-06, 07:00 PM
Funky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 DVD/Nav Bypass tips

First I'd like to thank VVT-i, SonarTech, and 2thfixr for their great pictures and details on the install and tutorial in getting the DVD while in motion, dial while in motion, and enter destination while in motion steps posted here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...216004&page=13 (and the following page).

First, my lessons learned that will hopefully help others here.

1. When pulling up the faux wood on the center console pull the two wood extensions near the arm rest directly up. There is a small ledge near each corner that allows you to get your thumb under the corners.

2. When undoing the 10mm bolts from the sides of the unit, make sure you have at least a 2 1/2 inch extension for a socket wrench. I tried using a 10mm socket on a straight handle screwdriver and there was no way I was going to be able to loosen the bolts that way. I had to use a wrench.

3. When removing the Nav itself be aware that it's an EXTREMELY hard pull to do it. I thought for sure I was going to break something, and trying to pry anything on the dash will scratch, crack, or break something. Use the "handles" under the unit and pull out and up, but not too hard up. It will eventually give, it just takes work.

4. I found what I believe to be a very good alternative switch which most people can purchase in their area. I used a Gardner Bender Rocker Switch model GSW-41 which can be purchased at Lowe's. You can find it in their catalog here: http://www.gardnerbender.com/Catalog...f/Switches.pdf on page 7. It doesn't fit perfectly, but pretty close.

The entire process took me the better part of an afternoon as I had to go back to Lowe's to buy a socket extension for my small socket wrench (I had two each for my larger sockets).

I've noticed no side effects from the mods, but have only driven about 10 miles since the installation.

My next task is to figure out how to wire another switch to make it so I can use the rear view camera without putting the car into reverse.
Old 11-12-06, 08:26 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

Great info and tips Dan. I want to do this to mine but just haven't gotten around to it yet. So, with the switch engaged if you enter a destination into the Nav while moving and then go to watch a DVD, what happens?

I thought I read somewhere that when the car is fooled into thinking it is parked (i.e., transmission in park and parking break is set) the GPS nav unit doesn't function normal (e.g., its slows down or something like that). What are you experiencing and do you leave the switch on all the time or is it something you turn on/off as needed?

Also, anything I should know about purchasing a VAIS unit to integrate iPod and get rid of the annoying disclaimer screen? Even though I don't subscribe to sirius yet, I think I'd like to buy one that's sirius capable. Is that what you have? How's it working?

Thanks
Old 11-12-06, 08:28 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

One more thing, who installed the VAISTech box and what did it cost?

Thanks
Old 11-12-06, 10:31 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Funky
First I'd like to thank VVT-i, SonarTech, and 2thfixr for their great pictures and details on the install and tutorial in getting the DVD while in motion, dial while in motion, and enter destination while in motion steps posted here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...216004&page=13 (and the following page).

First, my lessons learned that will hopefully help others here.

1. When pulling up the faux wood on the center console pull the two wood extensions near the arm rest directly up. There is a small ledge near each corner that allows you to get your thumb under the corners.

2. When undoing the 10mm bolts from the sides of the unit, make sure you have at least a 2 1/2 inch extension for a socket wrench. I tried using a 10mm socket on a straight handle screwdriver and there was no way I was going to be able to loosen the bolts that way. I had to use a wrench.

3. When removing the Nav itself be aware that it's an EXTREMELY hard pull to do it. I thought for sure I was going to break something, and trying to pry anything on the dash will scratch, crack, or break something. Use the "handles" under the unit and pull out and up, but not too hard up. It will eventually give, it just takes work.

4. I found what I believe to be a very good alternative switch which most people can purchase in their area. I used a Gardner Bender Rocker Switch model GSW-41 which can be purchased at Lowe's. You can find it in their catalog here: http://www.gardnerbender.com/Catalog...f/Switches.pdf on page 7. It doesn't fit perfectly, but pretty close.

The entire process took me the better part of an afternoon as I had to go back to Lowe's to buy a socket extension for my small socket wrench (I had two each for my larger sockets).

I've noticed no side effects from the mods, but have only driven about 10 miles since the installation.

My next task is to figure out how to wire another switch to make it so I can use the rear view camera without putting the car into reverse.
Glad you were able to do the mod ok. The way the mod works is that you will have the ability to watch DVDs at any time whether moving or at a standstill. The switch is something that merely allows you to enter nav data and access some normally greyed out menu options while moving. When in the "switched" mode, turn by turn guidance is deactivated and the GPS positioning becomes very inaccurate. That's why you can't permanently leave the car in this mode. You must return the switch to normal position after doing whatever it you are trying to do. The switch has no effect on DVD viewing or phone dialing. These features are always available to you regardless of switch position.

The switch that you mention in your post is the exact switch that I used and show in one of my photos. There was an earlier thread about getting the switch from Lowe's so that's where it came from.
Old 11-13-06, 09:19 AM
Funky
Rookie

As Robert said, the DVD and phone thing works without the switch, but without the switch you get poor scrolling and guidance does not work. It's actually very strange what works and what doesn't. When you arrive at your location it still tells you that you've arrived, it just won't tell you how to get there. Also, rerouting while moving doesn't work at all unless you redo your entire route start to finish.

What you end up doing is leaving the switch off most of the time then just engage the switch to put in your location or change some other setting. Afterwards you simply turn the switch back otherwise the Nav is usless. I perfer this method rather than the touchscreen combo that I would forget to use on the 06 I test drove after you started the car.

I haven't done the VAISTech yet, I want the video version now that I can have video while in motion.
Old 11-21-06, 07:42 PM
Funky
Rookie

For the couple people that asked (I deleted the private messages) you can also get the switch at Sears and Sears Hardware stores if there is not a Lowe's in your area.
Old 11-21-06, 09:00 PM
sbrown02
Pole Position

When you guys performed the mod did you have to cut wire(s) or were you able to remove them from the harness and heat sink, thereby making it a relatively easy process to return the head unit to its original state if you ever needed/wanted to?

Thanks
Old 11-21-06, 11:16 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

It is possible to remove the pins from the connectors. They look like little Molex pins and have a little locking tab that needs to be depressed. The only problem is that they are very difficult to remove and easy to damage. I found a harness from an Alpine headunit that had the same pins and I had no problems getting the pins out on a table with good lighting but in the car, it was a different story. I simply did not have the patience to try to tease the pins out with the harness under tension and without good lighting.

It is possible if you have a lot of patience.
Old 11-22-06, 04:38 AM
sbrown02
Pole Position

I'll give it a try. Thanks Robert.
Old 11-22-06, 05:52 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This should help you guys out:

Universal Molex Pin Remover

They also have heat shrink.

Last edited by SGT; 11-22-06 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-22-06, 06:54 AM
Funky
Rookie

I had to cut wires, I tried for about an hour to get the wires out with no luck in the car as it was far too awkward an angle. I ended up getting one of the red wires adjacent to the required violet wire out but could never get the proper wires out. I had no problem on previous cars, but I guess Lexus really doesn't want the wires to come out.