GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

New GS design, how long will it run for?

Old 10-19-06, 04:24 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default New GS design, how long will it run for?

Just curious, do you guys think that the current model gs body style will last for the same amount of years as the 2nd gen did (98-05) or do you think they will change it every 5 years instead. just wondering.
Old 10-19-06, 04:25 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedozz
Just curious, do you guys think that the current model gs body style will last for the same amount of years as the 2nd gen did (98-05) or do you think they will change it every 5 years instead. just wondering.
I hope it runs as long as have mine.
Old 10-19-06, 04:28 PM
LexFather

The more expensive Lexus model cycles last longer than 5 years...GS should last at least 7
Old 10-19-06, 07:46 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably not too long after the E and 5 series are redesigned. An eight year run for the 2nd gen GS was pretty long.
Old 10-19-06, 09:26 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall correctly, Lexus stated back in 2005 that the current GS will be a five run with a minor cosmetic facelift in 2008.
Old 10-20-06, 06:48 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

wow, i hope it last longer than 5 years.
Old 10-20-06, 07:21 AM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see it sticking around longer than the 5 or E
Old 10-20-06, 08:58 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Ive read many times that it will have longer life cycles, but with minor updates every year or so(GS300 to GS350 etc). Along with a midlife refresh. Im assuming the 3GS will be around for at least 7 years.
Old 10-20-06, 10:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Even the flagship LS430 lasted 6 years (2001-2006), so I expect the 3GS will have a 6-year cycle too.
A 6 year cycle can mean 6 1/2 years though depending on whether they introduce the next one in the Spring or the Fall . . .
Old 10-20-06, 11:31 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

i agree....6 yrs....the sc430 came out in 2002 and it is suppose to be redesigned in 2008....that right there is 6 yrs....but you know what....lexus is such a good car, and the designs are very classy...even the older models are still nice to mod and drive.
Old 10-20-06, 12:54 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The GS isn't selling that well - the styling definitely didn't make the impact they were hoping for, and as technology improves it becomes cheaper and quicker to create redesigns.

So, I can't speak with any certainty, but in general a not-so-hot selling model will be redesigned more quickly (assuming they thing it was a bad design and not just a market category that weak in general - but looking at 5 series and E class sales, we know that's not true)... and these days cars in general are seeing redesigns a bit more often. I can think of several models that had their most recent redesign or will have their next redesign a year sooner than their last cycle was.

The Corvette may actually be shortened by 2 years if rumors are true... from 8 years to 6 years, making the 2011 model year the intro for the C7.
Old 10-20-06, 01:30 PM
HKN
Lead Lap

I Cant Say I Agree With The Comment That The Gs Isn't Selling That Well Because Of Design. All My Friends With The Previous Model Are Dying To Change Up After Seeing All The Pic Of Mods And Kits. All The Ppl I Know Sweat The New Gs. It Is Longer And Wider In Appearance Which Makes It More On The Luxury Side. It Might Had Lost A Bit Of The Sport Of The Older Models. I'll Agree With That But To Claim The Design Didn't Make The Impact Might Be A Bit Harsh. Take A Look At All The Kits Out For It (alot More Than The Old Models) And How Well Is Flows With 20's Compare To The Blockier, Sport Look Of The Previous. On Top Of That Consider All The Modern Upgrades Over The 2005 And Older. Car Is Real Nice To Look At And A Pleasure To Drive.

If Indeed Sales Is Not As Expected Is Probably Due To The Price. Gs Seems To Be Doing Well In South Fl...if I Had A Dollar For Everytime I See One On The Road To Work I'll Be Rich.
Old 10-20-06, 02:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
The GS isn't selling that well - the styling definitely didn't make the impact they were hoping for, and as technology improves it becomes cheaper and quicker to create redesigns.

So, I can't speak with any certainty, but in general a not-so-hot selling model will be redesigned more quickly (assuming they thing it was a bad design and not just a market category that weak in general - but looking at 5 series and E class sales, we know that's not true)... and these days cars in general are seeing redesigns a bit more often. I can think of several models that had their most recent redesign or will have their next redesign a year sooner than their last cycle was.

The Corvette may actually be shortened by 2 years if rumors are true... from 8 years to 6 years, making the 2011 model year the intro for the C7.
The GS is selling well. 3rd in class. On pace to his sales targets.
Old 10-20-06, 03:05 PM
AudiMan
Driver

i think the E is 1st in class, and is the 5 2nd?
Old 10-20-06, 03:22 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The GS is selling well. 3rd in class. On pace to his sales targets.
What are the numbers for the GS compared to the E, 5, STS, RL, and M?

Last I saw the numbers I didn't have anything to compare them to but they didn't look all that high.

Even if it's third in class, for a brand that is first in luxury car sales... there's definitely some room for improvement, I'd say.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GS design, how long will it run for?