GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone use a baby seat in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-06, 12:42 AM
SDLS430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use a baby seat in the rear?

I looked at a GS350 today and it seems the rear seats are a little small. I have a soon to be three year old who needs a baby seat. Just wondering how tight of a fit is it back there for the little one in a car seat?

Sam
Old 10-08-06, 06:19 AM
yon
Driver

Default No problems

Originally Posted by SDLS430
I looked at a GS350 today and it seems the rear seats are a little small. I have a soon to be three year old who needs a baby seat. Just wondering how tight of a fit is it back there for the little one in a car seat?

Sam
I have two boys: age 1 and 3. Have two car seats, a Britax and an Evenflo, no problems with fit, and having the LATCH anchors is nice (although every car since '02 has them). There's enough room in front of the Britax that my 3-year-old climbs into the car and up into the seat by himself.

I would recommend getting a seat protector though, since over time the car seat will put indents into the leather and cushioning. This one is my favorite:

http://www.drivingcomfort.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=2061

What's really nice for family trips is the LED lighting. I was dubious at first since you can't really get the entire cabin "lit up" with a dome light, so it always feels dark at night. But on our latest long trip in the evening, my wife was happily working on cross-stitch in front, and my 3-year-old was happliy playing in back, each with their own airline-style spot lighting. Plenty, plenty bright for what they needed, and since the lighting is so focused, it didn't distract me at all. You could probably put every light on except for the driver's spot, and still drive comfortably at night.
Old 10-08-06, 11:44 AM
SDLS430
Rookie

Originally Posted by yon

I would recommend getting a seat protector though, since over time the car seat will put indents into the leather and cushioning. This one is my favorite:

Wow thanks for the link. I have been using a towel, and it doesn't look that dignified. Thanks for all the information. My wife likes the ES350, however it's a little bland. Still a great car for those who value price and practicality a little more than styling and driving dynamics. It's still a toss up.

Sam
Old 10-08-06, 03:43 PM
PeteV
Driver School Candidate

It also really depends on how tall you are. I like to have the seat all the way back for my height, but when I put the car seats in, I move it forward about an inch or two. I put two kids in the back of my GS all the time, and it's no problem. The IS on the other hand, is a completely different story!
Old 10-09-06, 09:37 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

We use a Britax Marathon for our 12 month old and it works fine. The rear seat is a little tight with the car seat in the middle.
Old 10-09-06, 09:54 AM
yon
Driver

Originally Posted by nardeezy
We use a Britax Marathon for our 12 month old and it works fine. The rear seat is a little tight with the car seat in the middle.
Yeah, that's why we've always punted and put the seat on the side, even back when we only had one. If there's only one, then there's plenty of room for an adult on the other side.

I've found in general that the rear seat situation on the GS is scarcely different than my 02 ES was, or for any large sedan for that matter.
Old 10-09-06, 09:59 AM
yon
Driver

Originally Posted by SDLS430
Wow thanks for the link. I have been using a towel, and it doesn't look that dignified. Thanks for all the information. My wife likes the ES350, however it's a little bland. Still a great car for those who value price and practicality a little more than styling and driving dynamics. It's still a toss up.

Sam
No prob. I wish I'd had that link back when we had our first. My 02 ES definitely suffered dents in the leather, especially when we moved up to the larger seat. It doesn't take long to cause permanent issues.

Hope you convince your wife on the GS, after many ES's I'm very pleased with my switch. The only downside so far is a slightly smaller trunk (but a seriously smaller trunk opening), otherwise I find the GS is just as roomy and practical as my ES was. As smooth and quiet on the highway as the ES, but can get out of its own way when you push it hard.
Old 10-09-06, 12:03 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using a booster seat for my 6 year old in my GS for about 1-1/4 years. I've been using a small black bathroom rug from Walmart to prevent the seat indentations. It's worked fine, but I'm going to take a look at the protector posted by yon.

There's enough room in the back for my six year old, but when my wife's in the front seat and she puts the seat back partially for her comfort, my daughter's shoes will rub against the back of the front seat.

The seat belt positions are somewhat narrow which at first made it difficult for my daughter to buckle her own seat belt. With the booster seat, the seat belt receptacle is very tight against the side of the booster seat (Evenflo). She eventually got the hang of it.
Old 10-09-06, 01:28 PM
lossimo
Driver

Originally Posted by yon
I have two boys: age 1 and 3. Have two car seats, a Britax and an Evenflo, no problems with fit, and having the LATCH anchors is nice (although every car since '02 has them). There's enough room in front of the Britax that my 3-year-old climbs into the car and up into the seat by himself.

Fully agree with the seat protector! I purchased ours at Target,it's an eddie bauer brand,but it's alright for it's purpose.also picked up a back seat protector that ties around the headrest and base of the seat so my son cannot scuff the back of the front seat.
Old 09-17-07, 10:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I am bumping this - more impressions?

Also, how narrow is narrow at the back? Can I fit baby stroller properly in there or what? Thats #1 feature I have to have :P

thanks!
Old 09-17-07, 11:32 AM
dtrose
Driver School Candidate

I don't do babies
Old 09-17-07, 12:40 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only "impressions" you will have in your leather seat if you not going to use seat protector I have one and also use Britax car seat w/LATCH. So far, so good after almost 1 year of use. My 2.5 year old climbs in and out without a problem. Oh, and the other necessity is Satellite radio with "Kids Stuff" channel (thanks Sirius!!!). You will get endless hours of The Wiggles, Laurie Berkner, Dan Zanes, and The Sesame Street LOL!!!
Old 09-17-07, 02:30 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Back seat is small. My kids booster dosnt fit well to latch the seatbelt over it to lock. I struggle to move the latch from behind the booster. the reg car seat is ok since once you put it in, its in.
Old 09-17-07, 02:41 PM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

Graco stroller takes up alot of space.I just bought a compact stroller "umbrella" type,a company called Maclaren. I got more space in my trunk now.
Old 09-17-07, 03:19 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also got the Britax Marathon in the back and it fitting fine, there is plenty of space for ingress, for sure seat protection is must, also the Bugaboo stroller fit nicely in the truck of the space challenged GS hybrid...

Quick Reply: Anyone use a baby seat in the rear?