GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Does the sharkfin'ed GS look better?
Yes!
46.58%
NO.
53.42%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

To sharkfin or not sharkfin?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 10:53 PM
acerfan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To sharkfin or not sharkfin?

the 07 GS350 includes a sharkfin... do you guys think it looks better or not?

to sharkfin...

or not?
Old 09-24-06, 11:57 PM
AudiMan
Driver

you can have mine!
Old 09-25-06, 01:20 AM
ajcsanders
Driver

Some of the things that impressed me about the GS were how the windshield washer nozzles were hidden under the hood, how the washers for the headlights were flush with the bumper, the fact that even though the car is equipped with Sat-NAV, AM/FM radio, integrated telephone, light sensors for dash, auto-headlamps, AC blower speed, rain sensor...etc. there are no obvious protrusions to interrupt the lines of the car.

Why spoil it with a tacky BMW 5 series shark fin?

I vote NO!
Old 09-25-06, 04:39 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Definitely NO!
Old 09-25-06, 07:30 AM
conclevage
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Definitely NO!
Agreed! Although, I'd sacrifice having the sharkfin on the 2007 GS to have the 5th Gen. nav.
Old 09-25-06, 09:15 AM
hendjaz
Pole Position

The question posed only pertains to appearance and my guess is that most will vote "no" (me too) as the appearance is cleaner without the fin. However, the fin antenna may bring better satellite radio reception and also is intended to provide the Lexus Link information. Whether that on balance is preferable is another question I suppose but the fin antenna has some functionality that may be preferable for some to a more stealth antenna.
Old 09-25-06, 10:33 AM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Default No Shark Fin

I vote no shark fin on the GS. L-Finese is not intended for a shark fin. If it was we would have seen it on the 2006 model GS, IS and 2007 ES. Looking at the Porches, Lambos, Bentley Coup GT, and 2006 CLS's around town here in Denver, CO. I don't see any shark fins on those cars. It truely ruins the lines of a Contemporary Sport-Lux Sedan. I feel my 2006 GS 300 sans shark fin can park right next to those I named above and be just as stylish.

For functionality - Honda has a small box on the roof, Lexus could have done the same. BUT they wanted to be next to the Audi and BMW as far as roof ornaments. Lexus wins w/ reliability/craftsmanship they don't need a svelt antenna to match Audi or BMW. They do need a name for their AWD system for marketing and to reach a legendary household car name value - i.e Audi -Quattro, BMW - X Drive. Just my 2 cents......
Old 09-25-06, 01:00 PM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the shark fin on my RL, and I kinda like it, although I understand the votes against.

In the GS, is the antenna for satellite or Lexus Link? My understanding for the Acura models, is the the roof antenna (shark fin - RL, or box -TL/TSX) is for OnStar.
Old 09-25-06, 06:25 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i voted no cause i prefer the cleaner look without the fin
Old 09-25-06, 07:06 PM
tdt5648
Driver School Candidate

The shark fin is growing on me, plus, if it improves satellite reception, then I'm all for it.
Old 09-25-06, 08:41 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

The shark fin is not a bad idea but I feel the one they are putting on the new GS's is a little weak. I would like to see a stronger look and a more original idea, to me what they are puttting on looks too small. Now I am not saying put on a brick but rather make it meet the lines of the car better. This just looks like a cheesy hack.
Old 09-25-06, 09:52 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

no shark fin...looks cleaner without...heh
Old 09-26-06, 07:55 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Shark fin is just another 'object' to collect extra wax when I wax the car. Also, it will be a pain when I clean snow off the car in winter time. Just like someone mentioned before, it's nice that lexus hides the washer under the hood that it gives a cleaner look.

One thing I really don't understand is that... manufactures try hard to hide the am/fm antenna. (remember those ugly black stick on the front right side of the car?). Almost all cars now have am/fm antenna in the rear glass. Why are we putting another antenna up?
Old 09-26-06, 09:00 AM
Gohawks63
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
Shark fin is just another 'object' to collect extra wax when I wax the car. Also, it will be a pain when I clean snow off the car in winter time. Just like someone mentioned before, it's nice that lexus hides the washer under the hood that it gives a cleaner look.

One thing I really don't understand is that... manufactures try hard to hide the am/fm antenna. (remember those ugly black stick on the front right side of the car?). Almost all cars now have am/fm antenna in the rear glass. Why are we putting another antenna up?
Well it depends if it's for XM/Sirius or Lexus Link or both.

Glass imprinted antennas work for over the air brodcasts because they don't require line of sight. The antenna just catches the radio waves bouncing all over the place. Satellite requires "line of sight" to the receiving antenna. That's why you lose the signal when passing under trees or a bridge. Mounting the antenna on the roof or trunk provides the best possible reception. As for Lexus Link, remember that's pretty much a cellular call and you need some sort of antenna. I'm sure that over time as the technology improves these will shrink and may eventually disappear.
Old 09-26-06, 09:14 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it looks much cleaner w/o the sharkfin.

Quick Reply: To sharkfin or not sharkfin?