GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius Satellite - To be or Not to be?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-06, 04:41 PM
tommeyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Sirius Satellite - To be or Not to be?!?

I just picked up a brand new Lexus GS 300 this past weekend and I absolutely love it. When I bought my car, I ordered the Sirius radio package, but when I called the service department today to schedule the install, they said that sirius isn't available any more. I called Lexus customer service and they said that they are no longer installing sirius units in their vehicles indefinately. No one, including the dealer and Lexus customer support, seem to know what's going on. Is this really true?

Does anyone know what's going on, as I have spent a couple hundred dollars on this installation and have no idea if or when I can get it installed.
Old 09-06-06, 04:45 PM
yeti
Rookie

sirius rocks.......I hope it gets worked out.
Old 09-06-06, 04:50 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club. I have been waiting for Sirius since last Thanksgiving when I purchased my IS250. Sirius was included, along with 9 months of service, free of charge. This was some promotion Penske group had during last year. All Lexus sold was to include Sirius+service for free.

I spoke to my Lexus service coordinator about this yesterday, she said they will release Sirius for my car sometime this year. She said they had some bugs to work out.
Old 09-06-06, 07:27 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sirius is way better than XM IMO.
Old 09-06-06, 07:37 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Last I heard from one of the satellite radio sites back in July was that Toyota/Lexus was jumping ship and teaming with XM instead of Sirius. The new LS is going to get XM as a factory item, not Sirius. What you're experiencing is probably the technicalities of lawyers trying to get their cuts of which vehicles should get what and which are under the new deal, etc.
Old 09-06-06, 10:24 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have sirius in my GS. there are character length limitations only, same with the new IS. the tuner works just fine. you can order from sewell lexus and do a self install if you don't want to wait for your dealer to "figure it out"
Old 09-07-06, 03:20 PM
tekie99
Rookie

I ordered my kit recently from sewell lexus also, and basically ran to my local bestbuy and bought the xtra small XM antenna that also includes a sirius adapter, and used that for the antenna, Sewell lexus took a couple xtra days because they said thier local warehouse was given explicit intructions not to distribute the fit kits any longer, so they had to find the kit somewhere else in the country, but a couple days longer and I had everything.
Old 09-08-06, 06:31 AM
tommeyboy
Driver School Candidate

I've heard several different reasons for Lexus deciding not offer Sirius. One of the biggest factors was the signal cutting out. I just hope that they will decide to offer it in the end. Otherwise, I'll have to ask for a refund. I just don't think that XM offers the quality programming that Sirius does.

Last edited by tommeyboy; 09-08-06 at 06:32 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-08-06, 11:33 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

XM......... OWN3Z Sirius and ALL broadcast radio... That is all... Good night.
Old 09-08-06, 11:46 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

is sirius or sat radio really that good....?...i have sirius on the rx400h and i don't like it how the signal gets cut off when i go under small overpasses or trees...plus the quality of the sound isn't as good as regular radio fm...i mean i love the variety but i just don't like how the quality isn't as good...has anybody listened to radio in HD...can you really tell the difference...just wondering since i am not sure many cars that are stock include the HD radio...
Old 09-08-06, 02:59 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
is sirius or sat radio really that good....?...i have sirius on the rx400h and i don't like it how the signal gets cut off when i go under small overpasses or trees...plus the quality of the sound isn't as good as regular radio fm...i mean i love the variety but i just don't like how the quality isn't as good...has anybody listened to radio in HD...can you really tell the difference...just wondering since i am not sure many cars that are stock include the HD radio...
There must be something wrong with your Sirius receiver or the installation. I have the LX Sirius kit in my 06 GX and the sound is great. Some music sounds better than CD's and others are way better than FM.
Old 09-08-06, 07:56 PM
tommeyboy
Driver School Candidate

I agree. There must be something wrong with your receiver. I'm using a Sirius S50 in the meantime and it sounds perfect. The only time the sound cuts out is when I'm sitting under a bridge in traffic. Other than that I'm extremely happy with the sirius.
Old 09-09-06, 09:53 AM
Lexus Love
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy Sirisuly poor sound

I have the Sirius installed on my 06 GS300, and though I love the programming, the sound quality sucks and it constantly cuts in and out. The install came with the car (from Longo Lexus in SoCal -- 9 months free, etc.) and I've had it repaired and ultimately replaced and it has made no difference. It sounds worse than the AM transistor radio I had when I was a kid. Hopefully, they'll come up with a fix cuz Sirius programming rocks, and it is awesome on a long drive (or when you're stuck in LA traffic!).
Old 09-09-06, 10:45 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus Love
I have the Sirius installed on my 06 GS300, and though I love the programming, the sound quality sucks and it constantly cuts in and out. The install came with the car (from Longo Lexus in SoCal -- 9 months free, etc.) and I've had it repaired and ultimately replaced and it has made no difference. It sounds worse than the AM transistor radio I had when I was a kid. Hopefully, they'll come up with a fix cuz Sirius programming rocks, and it is awesome on a long drive (or when you're stuck in LA traffic!).
hm....my rx400h is also for longo...so maybe that's why it sucks...heh...i mean that's why i have a really bad impression on the sirius sat radio...on the other hand...anybody know how the HD radio sounds?...heh
Old 09-09-06, 02:55 PM
Jesse95911
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus Love
Ditto. I have the same exact problem and the same exact dealer. Is Longo using the same receiver as other dealers?

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite - To be or Not to be?!?