GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Sirius Satellite - To be or Not to be?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-06, 09:51 PM
chicken
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been told there is an issue with the Sirius SIGMA antenna. Lexus is aware of the issue and should have a fix later this year for it. I have it in my 06 GS 430 and have the same cut out issues as others.
Old 09-10-06, 06:23 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tommeyboy
I just picked up a brand new Lexus GS 300 this past weekend and I absolutely love it. When I bought my car, I ordered the Sirius radio package, but when I called the service department today to schedule the install, they said that sirius isn't available any more. I called Lexus customer service and they said that they are no longer installing sirius units in their vehicles indefinately. No one, including the dealer and Lexus customer support, seem to know what's going on. Is this really true?

Does anyone know what's going on, as I have spent a couple hundred dollars on this installation and have no idea if or when I can get it installed.
Maybe you should consider XM? I have it and like it very much. But, here's an independent review from the Charlotte Observer of the two services. I posted this in a general forum some time ago but I thought you might want to check it out.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...s/15317141.htm
Old 09-17-06, 08:30 AM
ESCAPED
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus is working with Sirius right now on coming out with a new box. When Sirius got popular very quick the quality of there receivers went down the drain. So Lexus got pissed and told them they weren't going to sell there product anymore. Supposably they have it worked out and are going to be selling it again. But not sure when that is. Thanks Greg...
Old 09-17-06, 01:44 PM
GumboChief
Driver School Candidate

Last night, some guy posted in the ES350 forum that his August build has it. Claims it was port installed.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=238534
Old 09-17-06, 09:33 PM
zoombie99
Pole Position

Default Problems With The Gs

There were problems with the GS. First of all, Lexus instructed the dealers to install the "antenna" box on the front windshield thus causing some reception problems. I still have problems with mine. The "fix" is to install the antenna on the trunk. I currently have dropped signals in the city but it works fine on the highways. In additon, as stated by others, we cannot get a full read out on the screen. I love sirius but someone needs to do their homework at Lexus and Sirius.
Old 09-18-06, 04:18 PM
ESCAPED
Driver

I agree totally!!!
Old 09-19-06, 09:12 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by zoombie99
There were problems with the GS. First of all, Lexus instructed the dealers to install the "antenna" box on the front windshield thus causing some reception problems. I still have problems with mine. The "fix" is to install the antenna on the trunk. I currently have dropped signals in the city but it works fine on the highways. In additon, as stated by others, we cannot get a full read out on the screen. I love sirius but someone needs to do their homework at Lexus and Sirius.
its that damn jap engineering. my friend has a mercedes with the sirius and he has no reception or display problems. bmw doesnt seem to have a problem either. it seems the germans got one over on toyota this time.
Old 09-20-06, 05:45 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

My understanding is that XM uses signal repeaters, therefore, their signal is stronger than sirius. I've heard from other forums that people experiences signal cuts in/out with sirius and not with xm. A friend of mine has sirius in his office. The antenna is mounted outside facing directly south with no obstruction. The signal strength is only 1 bar and it still cut in/out.

I do not believe it's the car problem. I think it's the signal issues with sirius. If there someone here has both systems...ie. one car has xm and the other has sirius..... Please let us know the difference in signal strength.
Old 09-20-06, 05:57 AM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
My understanding is that XM uses signal repeaters, therefore, their signal is stronger than sirius. I've heard from other forums that people experiences signal cuts in/out with sirius and not with xm. A friend of mine has sirius in his office. The antenna is mounted outside facing directly south with no obstruction. The signal strength is only 1 bar and it still cut in/out.

I do not believe it's the car problem. I think it's the signal issues with sirius. If there someone here has both systems...ie. one car has xm and the other has sirius..... Please let us know the difference in signal strength.
i have an aftermarket sirius unit in my truck and i have no problems. my friends have sirius in their trucks also and they have no problems. my friend with the mercedes has sirius and he has no problems.

the sirius in my lexus worked for a week and then the head unit wouldnt recognize the sirius receiver. you cant tell me the problem isnt with lexus. i should know, ive been through all the crap.
Old 09-20-06, 06:13 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

A friend of mine has a brand new E class Mercedes and he is experieincing signal problem with sirius. It cuts in/out...
It sounds to me that it maybe more of a installation/unit problem than signal in your situation, especially it worked for a week. Let us know what you find out.
Old 09-20-06, 06:22 AM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

Check this link out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204811
Old 09-20-06, 08:51 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

we have Sirius in both our Lexus GS and the new Audi. the reception in the GS is just as good as the Audi, with signal loss under low overpasses and in heavy tree areas.

i have the tuner purchased from Sewell lexus, and other than a few bugs in the first week or so, it works as it should and the only limitation is the character length. the dealer installed it with an XM antenna rather than the huge SIGMA windshield antenna, and the results were good. the only other complaint on the Lexus receiver is that it sorta sounds tin-can muted at low volumes; definitely not as good as FM. whereas the Audi the FM/Sirius sound about the same.

on the Audi there is a roof fin/antenna on the exterior, on the GS the XM antenna is hooked up to the receiver and fed thru the rear shelf:

Old 09-20-06, 01:13 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by GreatSmile
A friend of mine has a brand new E class Mercedes and he is experieincing signal problem with sirius. It cuts in/out...
It sounds to me that it maybe more of a installation/unit problem than signal in your situation, especially it worked for a week. Let us know what you find out.
when i first got the unit from sewell, i didnt realize that i needed both ML and nav for it to work properly. sewell later made that note on their website. after trying a couple of different harnesses and receivers, the guys at sewell decided that since i dont have the nav/ML, it might be better for me to return the unit. i guess i just have to wait for a better solution.
Old 09-21-06, 07:09 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a problem with the antenna on the sirius kits. They stoped sale because of too many reported problems. They "say" once it is figured out it will be re-released. Lexus didnt like Sirius problems adding to thier own.
Old 09-21-06, 03:07 PM
bulwinkl24
Rookie

Originally Posted by KiPod
There was a problem with the antenna on the sirius kits. They stoped sale because of too many reported problems. They "say" once it is figured out it will be re-released. Lexus didnt like Sirius problems adding to thier own.
its not a sirius problem. the sirius works fine in other cars. it is certainly a lexus problem. how do you explain sirius working in ford, chrysler, and bmw products but it cant work in a lexus? sounds like lexus blew smoke up your a$$.

Quick Reply: Sirius Satellite - To be or Not to be?!?