GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

The New GS350 and my GS300

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 02:06 PM
scottmyers
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The New GS350 and my GS300

OK, there has been a lot of interest in the differrences between these two cars. If anyone recalls, I'm on my second 06 GS300 due to the rattles, two transmissions within 1500 miles, and in my opinion the 06 GS was never really ready for production. Please understand that I'm beyond ****, and thats why I bought a Lexus and ultimately thats why I've been disappointed with the current GS. But with that said, the old saying probably still holds true... never buy a first model year vehicle.

I drove the New GS350 today and as everyone has been discussing that there is no real difference in the feel of the engine, my concerns were more about, "did they fix the initial issues that really pissed me off", not performance issues.

So this is what I found.

The Rattles - When I was having problems with my car, I drove many GSs, at many dealerships, and they all had the same dash rattles or center console squeak. This issue seems to be pretty common, since you constantly hear about it on this board. I've had two GSs up to this point, the first one rattled, and my current GS still does it. The dealer has given up on trying to fix the problem.
I'm glad to say the new GS350 is dead silent. I purposely went over bumps, and uneven pavement at varying speeds to test this. Its fixed.

The Transmission. This is without a doubt a different transmission. Smooth doesn't' really describe it. It just feels better. Very responsive in the power mode.

The Suspension - It feels tighter around corners, yet the car goes over bumps with a nice silent softness. Maybe the absence of the squeaks just fooled me into thinking it felt better.

The Brakes - I just had my 5k service and noticed that the breaks on my 300 felt new again. Tight and resposive.
The GS350 feels much better. Maybe since they are brand new, it once again fooled me.

The auto-leveling feature of the steering wheel. Both of my 300s made a horrible grinding sound when the steering wheel would position itself when you start the car. The dealer told me that the sound was normal and all GSs made it. It has actually been discussed on this board many times as normal.
With the GS350, its dead silent.

The engine - Yes it doesn't seem unbelievably faster, but with almost 60 more horses, it is different. Especially when you get on it. Pulls pretty strong in the upper RPMs. I bet any current GS owner would take the new engine if Lexus was doing a free swap out.

Nav - Yes it's the Gen 5. It blows the Gen 4 away in looks and features. Not to mention, the ability to input destinations by voice while driving, and voice dialing as well via bluetooth.

Biggest letdown - no Aux Audio input. This kills me. It now comes in the IS, ES and the new 07 GX. What in the world are they thinking? At least the stereo now plays MP3 and WMA CD's.

All in all, it appears that the Lexus people have been paying attention to the 06 issues and the 350 looks to be a very nice package. This is what the car should have been for 06.

Can't wait to get mine in a few weeks.

Last edited by scottmyers; 09-04-06 at 05:49 AM.
Old 09-03-06, 02:15 PM
crowe85
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the absence of an AUX input is killing me too. I'm trying to decide between an IS350 and a GS350 AWD, and that is the one thing that is making me hesitate.

Why, Lexus?! WHY?!
Old 09-03-06, 02:50 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Your comments are what I have been waiting to hear about. The issues such as the rattles, the gen 5 nav and bluetooth, brakes, mp3 play still needs aux input
It's ok to be **** about a $50,000 car. When you pay this much for a car you
should not have these problems even when it's a new model. I will soon test
drive this GS350 to see if it's worth trading in my 06 gs300 because I am not
a rich man. Thanks for sharing your views
Old 09-03-06, 05:58 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does kinda seem like 06 GS user got the shaft. IE, all the new stuff was introduced with the 06 IS. Gen 5 Nav, bluetooth, 3.5L motor, MP3 capabilities.... and I guess quieter steering wheel and probably less rattle problems.
Old 09-03-06, 06:51 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

it's called product differentiation. =|
Old 09-03-06, 10:59 PM
*wishlist*
Driver

great writeup. some of my concerns were addressed. can't wait to test drive teh 350.
Old 09-04-06, 07:29 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only complaint I have with my 06 gs is the brakes. They are absolutely not suffiecient for a car in this class....especially one that weighs as much as it does. It's actually pretty disgusting. That alone might make me want a trade up.
Old 09-04-06, 11:24 AM
Faheta
Driver

Originally Posted by reggiek
The only complaint I have with my 06 gs is the brakes. They are absolutely not suffiecient for a car in this class....especially one that weighs as much as it does. It's actually pretty disgusting. That alone might make me want a trade up.
Wow!! I had to slam on the brake during my GS300 test drive a couple weeks ago because some idiot merged into my lane at 5 (five) mph while I was going nearly at 30. I was used to my bimmer and initially thought I had enough distance to stop in time but gee, I was sure I was gonna hit that person. Luckily that person stopped with a quarter of his car stuck in my lane and I managed to swirl around him.
I asked the salesperson about the "weak" brakes and he said "It takes couple weeks to break in". "Bu*******" I said to myself. That's pretty standard answer from a salesperson.
Old 09-04-06, 07:26 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, not having the aux input does bite, but you don't get the full audio quality with those inputs anyway, so just get those cheapy audio station transmitter deals where you plug the device into your MP3/iPOD and it transmits to a radio station (i.e. 96.5) and you just tune your radio to that station.

I don't listen to MP3 or much music anyway, so doesn't bother me...
Old 09-05-06, 06:18 AM
RandalR
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Yeah, not having the aux input does bite, but you don't get the full audio quality with those inputs anyway, so just get those cheapy audio station transmitter deals where you plug the device into your MP3/iPOD and it transmits to a radio station (i.e. 96.5) and you just tune your radio to that station.

I don't listen to MP3 or much music anyway, so doesn't bother me...
I do, but the lack of an iPod interface isn't a deal breaker for me, either. It doesn't take long to build a high-quality MP3 or WMA CD, which sounds better. And if you decide later that an iPod interface is a must, there's always the Vais Tech solution, which isn't too expensive and is a lot more functional than a simple AUX input. It would have been nice to have, but I'm really a lot happier about Lexus resolving the dashboard squeaks. I hope they've got the 10K mile suspension problem solved, too.
Old 09-05-06, 07:00 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

theres gotta be a way to jimmy in a aux in. surely theres a line in that can be tapped into on the back fo the unit tirwed to a phono plug from radioshack. we just need someone to find this wire and post its location and color.
Old 09-05-06, 08:40 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

new GS350 either has GS430 brakes or the IS350 brakes (bigger than the IS250 brakes)
Old 09-05-06, 09:50 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe writings are saying that the 350 will have the 430's brakes. Not sure which the IS350 has, might be same as the 430 as well.
Old 09-05-06, 10:01 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write-up Scott. Hope your new GS350 provides a better ownership experience than the one you had with the GS300.
Old 09-05-06, 10:21 AM
kaidoy021
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the write up. I'll be looking forward to driving the GS350 at the Lexus Driving Event at the end of this month. Looking into the GS as a future family car and giving my IS300 to the future wife.

Quick Reply: The New GS350 and my GS300