GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

trade-in my is350 for a gs350?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-06, 07:00 PM
sleepyhead
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trade-in my is350 for a gs350?

hey guys! i need some of your opinions.... i just bought my is350 last jan 06 with the mrsp price. i chose it over the gs300 because of the new engine and the sportier look (i'm 27 and single). i never complained anything about the is350 except for the space and "bumpy ride" (i always cram my seat forward whenever my backseat is occupied). i spend almost 2-3 hours driving daily and i realized that comfort goes on top of my list. anyway... do you think it's worth to trade in my financed is350 for the gs? if so, how many months should i wait for the gs' price to go invoice? (the dealer told me that now they're selling their is350 below invoice). i'm aware of the financial hit that i'm gonna take for trading it and i just want the damage to be as low as possible. i like my is but i think i'm starting to like the gs after test driving it (roomier and more luxurious on the sporty side). thanks guys and i appreciate all the input!
Old 08-28-06, 07:13 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I always say. Don't do it unless you've got money
growing on trees in your backyard.

The problem with these impulse trades is that in another
year you might be bored again and might want an LS460
long wheel base ultra luxury with AWD. Wait no, that's
me...
Old 08-28-06, 07:18 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Financially it doesn't really start to balance out until at the earliest 18-22 months. Then you can look at a payoff for your current vehicle that is similar to market price but still likely higher than a standard dealer payoff. (All dependent on your interest rate of course).

However that being said, does the GS better suit your needs and represent a better value for your money? If the IS doesn't work due to comfort reasons (both ride comfort and interior comfort) then the GS is probably a more appropriate car for you.

I'm going through the same things as I'm getting ready to go from my IS to a GS350 AWD purely for winter driving reasons. As an employee lease I cannot change tires on my car from the original spec. So I'm stuck with summer tires in the winter in the midwest. I love the car, but it's nearly impossible for me to drive it year-round safely without adding huge amounts of time into my commute, so the GS350 AWD is more suitable to my situation even though I'm ultimately giving up some of the sportiness.

Are you willing to give up the sport for the luxury? Depends on what's most important to you now. I say get the GS350 for the Luxury and then go buy a go-kart for the sport!
Old 08-28-06, 07:55 PM
RedRider
Rookie

If comfort and room is what you're after then I would suggest that you drive both the GS 350 and the ES 350. This past Saturday I had the chance to drive the IS 350, GS 350 AWD and the ES 350. I own a GS 400 and took along my daughter who owns an IS and we both agreed that the ES was noticably roomier than either the IS 350 or the GS 350 - the back seat in particular seemed a lot more roomy in the ES. We were also both impressed with the smooth, quiet ride of the ES. After comparing the three vehicles side by side and driving all three we both agreed that we liked the ES better than the GS or the IS. I was surprised. I have been a GS fanatic for years and I figured that with the more powerful V6, the GS 350 would be a lot like my GS 400. As it turned out, the GS 350 just didn't impress. It wasn't as nimble or quick as the IS 350 and not as roomy or smooth as the ES 350. I thought the IS 350 was a lot of fun but as you know the ride is pretty firm and there isn't much room in back. My son is 6' 4" and he has to fold up pretty tightly to fit in the back of his sister's IS. It isn't bad for short hauls but for longer trips it gets pretty cramped.

Granted, the ES is a front wheel drive and will not perform or handle like your IS 350 or even the GS 350 but for a $45K sticker you can load the ES with everything including NAV, Mark Levinson audio and the panoramic moon roof. To equip a GS 350 like that you would be looking at a sticker closer to $52K.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big GS fan but I found the ES 350 roomier and more comfortable than either the IS 350 or the GS 350. If I were to buy another Lexus right now (I'm keeping my GS until the wheels fall off) I would get the ES 350. It may not be everybody's preference but I like a smooth, fast and quiet ride in a roomy cabin. I felt that the ES delivered on all three points better than the IS 350 or the GS 350.
Old 08-28-06, 08:04 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
I'm going through the same things as I'm getting ready to go from my IS to a GS350 AWD purely for winter driving reasons.
This is actually a good point. I would make the change if it is for
winter driving reasons (safety first) or if you find the IS's ride
excrutiating and inconvenient. If you think it is an impulse thing
I would be careful...
Old 08-29-06, 12:28 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider
Don't get me wrong, I am a big GS fan but I found the ES 350 roomier and more comfortable than either the IS 350 or the GS 350. If I were to buy another Lexus right now (I'm keeping my GS until the wheels fall off) I would get the ES 350. It may not be everybody's preference but I like a smooth, fast and quiet ride in a roomy cabin. I felt that the ES delivered on all three points better than the IS 350 or the GS 350.
Isn't the ES350 a Camry?
Old 08-29-06, 02:23 PM
Toyota_F1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lextranny
Isn't the ES350 a Camry?
Same platform yes, but not even close to the same. That's like saying an IS250 is a Toyota Crown because they're the same platform, or that a hot dog is meat because they both come from animal products.
Old 08-29-06, 02:54 PM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Its tough to get over the perception that the ES is a glorified camry. Thats just the way it is. I wouldnt buy the ES, for that alone.

I mean lets face it, this is a Lexus. Part of that L is prestige.... You dont want a car that perceived as a glorified Camry. Even if it is nicer

In my opinion, I would not trade the IS in. If they are already selling at below invoice in your area, then you will probably be able to sell it for 4-5K less than that. If you paid full price, thats a 10K hit.

If you can afford it.. go for it, otherwise, wait a while

IMO, wait another year. Then trade your car for a slightly used GS350. Thats the only way not to take a REALLY painful hit.

I just sold my IS... luckily for me, in this area they still want FULL MSRP FOR AN 06!
Old 08-29-06, 03:32 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Default GX470 ---> GS300 my story

I had my 04 GX470 for 18 months, hated the gas mileage, loved the space. Just for fun I went to drive an 06 GS300 last month knowing the 350 was due to come out. Well, I now have a GS300 and got it $400 over invoice, fully loaded, I love the comfort, I guess I took a hit as so many people say but I look at it this way - Better gas mileage, lower car payment, missed the 30k service and I get to make payments for an additional 18 months....lol- like I will pay this car off! I have come to realize I will have a car payment for the rest of my life - unless I come into a very large some of money, and it is ok. It makes me happy. Money growing on trees? no, good credit? yes.

Moral of my story - I do what makes me happy! Lexus has a great moments commercial that sums it up for me - http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience.../1280&fp=index
Old 08-29-06, 07:51 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepyhead
hey guys! i need some of your opinions.... i chose it over the gs300 because of the new engine and the sportier look (i'm 27 and single). i never complained anything about the is350 except for the space and "bumpy ride"
I have been looking for an IS. But now I'm thinking about getting the GS instead. Partly for the reasons above. Thanks for sharing.

Also, with all this talk about how many girls own IS, I'm beginning to think that it's probably a better idea for a man to drive a GS

The IS is getting a little too CUTE for me
Old 08-29-06, 08:06 PM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

With no doubt, the IS is fun to drive. I've always been a fan of mid to full-size cars and the GS fit the bill perfectly. I've had my GS300 for 3 months now and love it. I had my moments of buyer's remorse because I knew that the GS350 was coming out, but I didn't want to wait and pay a premium for the car. I got mine fully loaded at invoice. Trading/buying up is a philosophy that I follow, but going from an IS to a GS at this point doesn't sound reasonable unless you have a huge bank account. One thing I know for sure, I'll be getting another Lexus (LS or GS) in the future.
Old 08-29-06, 08:39 PM
Lextranny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toyota_F1
Same platform yes, but not even close to the same. That's like saying an IS250 is a Toyota Crown because they're the same platform, or that a hot dog is meat because they both come from animal products.
I believe the Camry has the same engine 3.5L as the ES350. Can someone please confirm?

I my opinion....I would rather get the GS350.
Old 08-29-06, 08:44 PM
carlmock
Rookie

if they were to make an IS350 awd I would buy it in a second... since they dont Im forced to look at the GS350 awd.. Almost bought a GS300 last weekend but decided to wait for the new stuff the 07 offers. I have a feeling Lexus is getting too bloated with these vehicles. All of them are begining to compete with each other. The IS and GS are almost the same except for size. The ES is a great car and cheaper than a GS. All 3 drive virtually the same from what I have experienced. Not sure what Lexus is try to accomplish and who their target market is now.
Old 08-29-06, 10:20 PM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish they would make the ES, AWD that would be nice for some as well?

The GS 350 seems like a really nice ride--May have to get rid of the wifes RX330
Old 08-30-06, 03:10 AM
TidaLXWaVe
Driver

think about it this way, if you dont, everytime you see a GS on the road, you're going to wonder what it would have been like if you pulled the trigger and traded in!

if you have the finances for it, i'd say go for it, because the style will be around for another couple of years so its still rather fresh.

Quick Reply: trade-in my is350 for a gs350?