GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help! Deciding between GS350 and Audi A6 4.2L....

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-06, 05:13 PM
nybuck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Deciding between GS350 and Audi A6 4.2L....

I'm looking for an AWD with power, fully loaded. Price notwithstanding, which do you prefer in regards to handling, looks, speed, etc. I have never owned wither brand of car. I know that this is obviously a lexus forum, but the info on here seems pretty unbiased and very helpful.

thanks!
Old 08-27-06, 05:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a huge Audi fan, and my favorite model is definitely the A6. It's a great looking car with nice features, solid powertrains, beautiful interiors, and I like the unique-ness of Audi. That said though, their cars are prone to electrical failures and lots of annoying little electronic gremlins. We have a few Audis in our family, and the uncle/aunts who own them swear by them, but they'll tell you that they can be frustrating cars to own because of stuff randomly going out or needing to be fixed or replaced.

With that said, the GS is a little less powerful (by about 40HP or so), but I think it actually might be faster. I don't know if it's weight or the AWD, but the A6 4.2 typically runs somewhere around 6.4 seconds or so, 0-60. That's sort of slow for a V8 sedan in this class, but speed isn't everything. Again, I'd expect the GS350 to be a bit quicker, and to also get better gas mileage. They're both great looking cars inside and out, so I couldn't really pick one between the two in that category.

It's a tossup, but I'd probably go with the Lexus because of reliability and gas mileage.
Old 08-28-06, 08:14 AM
HemantS
Driver

The GS is a far better car on paper.

If the Audi doesn't draw you more emotionally then I'd say go with the GS.

It's faster, more reliable, etc.

The Audi advantages are

1. style
2. trunk closing thud (people pay big bucks for this)
3. style
4. years of experience with quattro *might* translate into better road mannes - let your test drive decide.
Old 08-28-06, 08:48 AM
jarrett
Driver School Candidate

The New Gs is a stunning car it really is with the right color and wheels ETC.
The only thing is that im still a little liery about how well the AWD system works. And as we all know Audi is the King of AWD. I love the A6 it is very unique and the trunk space is a lot bigger than the lexus. The audi dosent have the satalite system that the gs now has and the weight of the a6 4.2 may suck up some of that hp. But jusy compare them and you wiil decide.
Old 08-28-06, 12:21 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I work for audi and trust me on this one, get the Lex.
Old 08-28-06, 01:13 PM
Firstlps
Driver

Originally Posted by Richie
I work for audi and trust me on this one, get the Lex.
Why would you say that? Explain please
Old 08-28-06, 02:00 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i think it really depends on how long you intend to keep this car and what your primarily decision factors are. i am going thru the exact same debate in my head, but with the lower models - 07 IS250 Manual vs 07 A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line.

as you can see by my name and my sig, i am a HUGE lexus fan, always will be (it's in my blood ). but this is the first time i may be defecting since 1998, and that is because i just love the A4's styling. i love the lexus as well, but something about it just doesn't excite me and something about the A4 screams for being driven.

i would say if you are thinking of buying, then the lexus makes a lot more sense for the long run benefits and total cost of ownership. it will be less headache overall. on the other hand, if you are like me and are being drawn into Audi by their attractive lease rates, try the audi for a few years.
Old 08-28-06, 02:26 PM
HeartDoc
Driver School Candidate

Default Another me too post...

Interesting because I suspect that many would think the Audi and the Lexus are at opposite ends of the spectrum (most people seem to be Audi vs. BMW or Lex vs. MB vs. Infiniti). I am in a very similar boat (trying to decide between A6 3.2 w quattro vs. GS350 AWD), my thoughts so far, for what they are worth:

1) they are far and away the 2 best interiors in the LPS class--I would give that a tie. Lex might get the slight advantage because it doesn't have MMI type interface. Compared to 530 (too spartan) and the M (too gimicky), Eclass (too likely to break)--The GS and the A6 seem to have it just right.

2) Audi drives with a certain "German-ness" that may be in my head but just seems a little more connected to the road than the Lexus. Even though GS350 will have more HP (I have only driven the GS300 at this point) than the A6, its not really about HP per se. I think the Audi is probably ahead by a nose here. Would be glad for a test drive in the 350 to change my mind, but early consensus on here seems to be that the 350 is not a giant leap forward from the 300).

3) Although Audi reliability is much improved (have had my current A4 for 4 trouble free years), I think it is safe to say that the Lexus will be more reliable and hold it value better, on average. Like the above poster, I think I would lease the Audi, but buy the Lexus, all other things being equal.

Still haven't made up my mind--looking forward to a ride in the 350 when dealer gets them in this week. The truth is, both excellent cars--you can't really go wrong with any of the cars in this class, I think it is mostly a matter of taste.
Old 08-28-06, 11:06 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you leasing, or are you buying? I'm under the belief that for the term of most leases now (36-48 months) that the top 75% percent of cars are all pretty much the same in reliability for the mileage term that you'll have (less than 45000 total miles). Nothing major is going to blow and nothing will be beyond the warranty anyway, so if you're leasing, then lease with your heart and get something you really love and would enjoy for that term. If you're buying, then you need to think long term and what you expect out of the vehicle? Is just pure driving the only factor, or does reliability and knowing that the car won't fail you up until possibly 150,000 miles a factor?

Are Lexus the best performing? Of course not, BMW probably out performs everyone in the segment, but leading up to 150,000 miles, I'm sure the Lexus crosses the finish line in fine condition, while BMW, MB, and Audi probably go through with slight bruises here and there.

For me, Lexus no question because I want to buy a vehicle for comfort, elegance, and peace of mind. The "fun" that I might have with a BMW can only do so much in traffic...
Old 08-29-06, 04:40 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

In my opinion it's almost too close to call as to which car is "better" (the A6 4.2L vs. the GS350. Both cars have pros and cons that may balance out each. Personally, I think Quattro is an undeniable "plus". Ultimately, though, it's a matter of personal preference.

Until recently, I've been an Audi/Lexus person. A little background: I owned Audis from 1984 - 1995, a succession of four of them, an `84 5000S, an `86 5000 Turbo, a `90 200, and a `92 100CS. I had major problems with the `86, but the other Audis were very reliable. I purchased a CPO `94 SC400 in 1995, traded that for a `99 GS300, traded that for an `02 SC430, traded that for an `04 SC430, and just traded that for a CPO `05 645ci (convertible). I also currently own an `04 GX470 and an `05.5 A4 2.0T Quattro.

Lexus built its brand upon quality vehicles and service. Today, the Lexus brand is almost synonomous with perfection. All of the Lexus cars I owned were/are wonderful, problem-free vehicles. From what I've been able to tell Audi has turned the corner on the reliability issues that plagued the brand during the 90s. Style, performance and engineering -wise, Audi continues to be a leader.
Old 08-29-06, 05:32 AM
HemantS
Driver

One point that hasn't been made. The 07 4.2 engine has FSI so if you're basing your test drive impression on an 06, the 07 is a completely different beast.

And amazing fuel economy for a V8 as well....
Old 08-29-06, 06:59 AM
nybuck
Driver School Candidate

I would probably be buying the car. that being said i only intend to keep it for 2 or 3 years before selling it. Will there be a great price difference by this amount of time? In my family, we have had a LX470, as well as a A6 2.7L, and both were trouble-free. I like the bells and whistles (especially the nav) on the lexus, but there is something about the way those damn german cars drive that keep me second guessing. Thanks for all the help, and any more is always appreciated!
Old 08-29-06, 07:32 AM
LexFather

The new A6 is a wonderful car and this model is not based on the Passat. The V-8 is a very solid engine. Classic well built, classy Audi interior though I find it very distracting with tons of buttons and their version of I-drive. The A6 is also larger in dimensions than the GS.

I think comparing the GS 350 to a V-8 Audi speaks volumes about the Lexus. I suggest really driving both to figure out which one works better for you. We do all know from an ease of ownership, nothing beats a Lexus.)

Good luck
Old 08-29-06, 07:52 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

For me this would be a toss up. My neighbor has a red A6 4.2 and that thing is gorgeous. Audi makes one of the best interior/exterior colors in the busy. To be honest I think Lexus has stepped it up with the GS350 which is what they should have done from the very begin. I know what you mean by saying it's just something about how German cars drive. It can't be duplicate. To be honest if you only going keep the car 2 years it's a toss up if you plan to keep the car over 3 years like everyone says go Lexus.
Old 08-31-06, 12:57 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

My neighbor has the A6 4.2 and I have the GS430. We had them about the same time. This could be a good study. I need to go over and ask about any issues. Oh and ask if their dashboard squeaks LOL.

Quick Reply: Help! Deciding between GS350 and Audi A6 4.2L....