GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Help! Deciding between GS350 and Audi A6 4.2L....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 11:35 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firstlps
Why would you say that? Explain please
I'm not impressed with their quality and quality control.
Old 09-05-06, 10:45 PM
txstud86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I'd like to qualify my response by informing you that my father drives a 2003 GS300 SportDesign, and my mom a 2005 A6 3.2 S-line.

Granted, you're comparing the newer GS--but from my experiences, little was changed in the handling and driving characteristics of the car (other than more power). That said, my choice by far goes to the Audi.

I've spent much time with both cars, something must be said for both of them--interior and exterior styling, details, and craftmanship are superb--these two cars are arguably the best in class in this department. However, the Audi's interior is defintely a notch above even the current GS. The materials are quite frankly, mindblowing. The woods, metals, leather; you wonder how a car with such high quality materials could cost only $50k.

In the handling and driving department, my vote also goes to the Audi. I've driven the Lexus many times and it's just very unexciting, sometimes it can almost put you to sleep. The A6, especially in S-Line trim with it's firmer suspension, larger wheels and tires, and firmer steering is an absolute blast to drive. While not as hard edged as a 5-series, the A6 S-Line can definitely hold it's own. The engine (which was named as 10Best by Ward's for '05) is a masterpiece and offers abundant torque and power, and does so seamlessly--truly one of the best engines on the market today.

Now about reliablity--I question the reports about Audi reliability. Neither car has had any serious issues, and everyone I know with newer Audi's has complained of no such issues....not even the A4 I've personally owned for two years. While Lexus service may edge out Audi's, I can say that my service experience at the local Porsche/Audi dealer has been nothing short of fantastic.

It's a tough choice but I'd definitely say go with the A6--it's a pure blast. The GS, while a competant and beautifully executed luxury car is more of an appliance. Whichever you choose, it'll be a good choice.
Old 09-05-06, 10:47 PM
txstud86
Driver School Candidate

I should also mention that ironically, I too was comparing an IS250 to a A4 2.0t Quattro with S-line package. After driving both cars back to back again today, I have chosen the A4. While the IS is impeccably executed, again, I found it too appliance-like. The A4 handles, brakes, and looks so amazing. It's really like nothing I've ever driven.

When I first started shopping, I thought there was no way I'd like an A4 over an IS when the IS is so much newer. But the A4 is amazing.
Old 09-05-06, 11:33 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by txstud86
I should also mention that ironically, I too was comparing an IS250 to a A4 2.0t Quattro with S-line package. After driving both cars back to back again today, I have chosen the A4. While the IS is impeccably executed, again, I found it too appliance-like. The A4 handles, brakes, and looks so amazing. It's really like nothing I've ever driven.

When I first started shopping, I thought there was no way I'd like an A4 over an IS when the IS is so much newer. But the A4 is amazing.
LOL; i am glad i am not the only one! it was a tough choice, but the A4 won. i picked mine up yesterday.

back on-topic: they truly are different cars. i love our GS430; this is the 3rd one we've had. (two 2nd gen GS's before this one). this is my first Audi and i am truly impressed with the solid/tight interior. it feels indestructible. the handling on the S-Line is very good, but still provides a comfortable ride (not rough or jiggly IMO). they are both fantastic cars; but they serve very different purposes. the lexus is the more "utilitarian" car IMO b/c it gets you from Point A to B in comfort and style, and all the gadgets and controls are very intuitive, a no brainer. the audi is definitely harder to figure out the interior controls, but the quattro and manual are fun enough for me to overlook that for 2 years
Old 09-06-06, 01:16 AM
txstud86
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the purchase, LexusLover.

I'm actually surprised Audi and Lexus aren't cross-shopped more often. Even though most people buying Audi's look at BMW's or MB's. In my opinion, Lexus and Audi have more in common with eachother than BMW or MB.
Old 09-06-06, 10:01 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

i like audi too...but the cars are not that similar....for some reason i would still choose a BMW over a Audi...I wanted to get an S4 b4...but the M series from bmw keeps blowing me away....those cars are just way too crazy...I know that audi has RS line but wow...I just loved driving the bmw...well hopefully next car I get will be a 996 Turbo...hehe no beating a porche...not too flashy compared to a Ferrari or Lambo or whatever exotic car...and not as expensive...lol
Old 09-06-06, 11:15 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

At issue here is that we have one car that goes for about $52K and another that goes for close to $60K ($62 if you load it up and get the S-Line package). Worse, there is far more dealer profit in the Lexus so you can get a better discount on it (although probably not initially).

I know the current residuals on the A6s is/are below 50% for 3-years (at least they were last month when a friend looked at them) - I'm not sure where the GS falls these days - so worst case, call up both dealers and ask them what the current residual is on a 3-year 12K lease - in terms of percentage. That will give you an idea on which car will hold its value.

Anyway, my vote is for the Audi (if you have the cash). I love their interiors and I think they have a really nice ride - plus you can get a sports package on the Audi (s-line).

However, they did drop the free maintenance for 07, so if you are able to find an 06 laying around that might be a better purchase.

oh and as always, if you are going to really compare the two, wait until Oct and drive a GS350 AWD and an 07 A6 - and let us know which you like better.
Old 09-06-06, 01:05 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Audi maintenance is still available for $550 up front, which is worth it if you intend on keeping it more than 30k miles. i did not get it b/c i am doing the 2 year lease 15k miles/year. but $550 is a bargain when you consider what lexus charges for service. i traded in the SC430 for the Audi, i saved $702 by not doing the 30k service at the dealer. (and no, that was not the reason i traded the car - it was more for the fun factor and overall practicality)
Old 09-06-06, 01:24 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Richie
I work for audi and trust me on this one, get the Lex.
There is your answer, I knew a guy that worked for Audi a couple of years ago and he owned a A4 Quattro and traded it for a IS300. My sister owned a 02 A4 1.8T (2nd hand from Audi of Mission Viejo) 2 years ago and she just traded it in for a 545i. My sisters A4 started to fall apart and she was dew for a new car anyways.

I like Audi's I was thinking of picking up a A4 1.8T Touring in Dolphin Gray but obviously went for the GS. I have friends that own A4's RS4's and S4 wagons and sedans and some are pleased some arean't.

Its all up to you. Best thing to do is test drive both cars and decided then.
Old 09-06-06, 08:38 PM
txstud86
Driver School Candidate

It seems to be either hit or miss, but I haven't had a single problem with mine and neither has my mom. Besides most of the problems on older cars were electronic, and as far as I understand, Audi has worked hard to overcome these problems.

Now, as for the free maintenance ending, it's not a big deal. You just purchase it at the beginning for I believe $550. Trust me, you won't need it.