GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

any chance dash rattle will disappear on its own?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 04:08 PM
NewGS4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any chance dash rattle will disappear on its own?

I've had my GS since April, and about 3 days ago an annoying, almost cricket-chirp type "rattle" noise started in my front dash....sounds almost like it's coming from those openings closest to the windshield. At first it sounded like when you're behind an open-bed dirt truck and the dirt is pecking at your windshield. Now it's morphed into this chirping noise. I'm hesitant to take it in just yet because I know sometimes noises sort of come and go and I'm thinking maybe it will disappear on its own? It's been soooooo hot here lateley (San Diego) that maybe it's related to my having the AC on "max cold" and running all the time.
This isn't a little sound that I can ignore if it won't go away....I can hear it OVER the stereo. Has anybody else had increased noise with increased use of the AC?
Old 08-01-06, 04:25 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Maybe, my rattles come and go. Lately, I havn't heard them.
Old 08-01-06, 07:02 PM
whitelexus
Driver School Candidate

Same here. Mine seem to come during big changes in temperature and then kind of disappear.
Old 08-01-06, 07:35 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The infamous dash rattle problem. For many of us it happened
when it got cold. Lexus had an issue with the cowling where
the dash meets the windshield in the early GS's. I took a chance
and had them take apart the dash and add cowling.

If you do a search you will see other threads like the one below
(I think this was the largest one).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=snap+crackle
Old 08-01-06, 09:59 PM
minnister
Driver

Default Seems like the dealer will fix this problem

Just reading some of the posts, it seems like the delaer will fix this problem. Has anyone taken their car in for the rattling problem recently? I hear it in the driver side seat belt section and the dash area. It doesn't happen all the time, just from time to time.
Old 08-02-06, 04:26 AM
bhuwan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by minnister
Just reading some of the posts, it seems like the delaer will fix this problem. Has anyone taken their car in for the rattling problem recently? I hear it in the driver side seat belt section and the dash area. It doesn't happen all the time, just from time to time.
I hear the seat belt area aswell but on passenger side! it dives me crazy!
Old 08-02-06, 05:41 AM
FabUSA
Driver School Candidate

I usually punch the area, and so far it seemed to work.
Old 08-02-06, 06:17 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by NewGS4me
I've had my GS since April, and about 3 days ago an annoying, almost cricket-chirp type "rattle" noise started in my front dash....sounds almost like it's coming from those openings closest to the windshield. At first it sounded like when you're behind an open-bed dirt truck and the dirt is pecking at your windshield. Now it's morphed into this chirping noise. I'm hesitant to take it in just yet because I know sometimes noises sort of come and go and I'm thinking maybe it will disappear on its own? It's been soooooo hot here lateley (San Diego) that maybe it's related to my having the AC on "max cold" and running all the time.
This isn't a little sound that I can ignore if it won't go away....I can hear it OVER the stereo. Has anybody else had increased noise with increased use of the AC?
go to the dealer and let them fix it... if not fixed, it will never go away completly (how can it?).
Old 08-02-06, 10:43 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
go to the dealer and let them fix it... if not fixed, it will never go away completly (how can it?).
i agree. if it's developed into a constant chirping, you should bring it in NOW so they can hear it. the key to getting them to take it seriously is insisting on a tech (who will work on your car) to ride along w/ you to listen. if they hear it, they will try to fix it. my biggesst problem (not with the GS though) is that you complain about the noises but then the SA responds "could not duplicate".

i'm in san diego as well, and i recommend Bob Baker in El Cajon. i live in carmel valley but it's worth the drive. carlsbad is bad with diagnostics (have not been able to successfully fix any complaints on my SC), and kearny mesa is so-so (although they charge you $15 for loaners). i find that bob baker is the most attentive when it comes to helping you fix noises. i did a massive overhausl on my RX just before the 50k warranty came due and they eliminated all sorts of noises and problems for me.
Old 08-02-06, 11:15 AM
Wigalo
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, over the past week my dash has been rattling like crazy. Sounds as loud as the 1st car I ever owned, a '78 Celica with after factory T-tops. I figure I shouldn't be hearing this much rattle in a 60k luxury car. I'll be taking it to the dealer to address it along with my driver's side seatbelt locking before I get a chance to put it on. So I'm stuck having to drive w/no seatbelt.
Old 08-02-06, 11:21 AM
BC-GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Hope the dealer will take of it for you, but as someone mentioned see if the service advisor will take a ride with you so they can hear what your talking about.
Old 08-02-06, 11:21 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wigalo
Yeah, over the past week my dash has been rattling like crazy. Sounds as loud as the 1st car I ever owned, a '78 Celica with after factory T-tops. I figure I shouldn't be hearing this much rattle in a 60k luxury car. I'll be taking it to the dealer to address it along with my driver's side seatbelt locking before I get a chance to put it on. So I'm stuck having to drive w/no seatbelt.
My 430 rattles too. My chevy never was this bad. Have to wait until it gets cold though. Mine get s real bad when below 32. Can't get it to do it all the time to show them. uggg.
Old 08-02-06, 06:03 PM
UAL
Rookie

No car is perfect. I don't have this issue, but if I did I'm sure that the dealer will at least look at it to see if they could remedy the issue.
Old 08-03-06, 07:19 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UAL
No car is perfect. I don't have this issue, but if I did I'm sure that the dealer will at least look at it to see if they could remedy the issue.
Yea, they did last Dec. They failed. The only thing they accomplished was getting the seats dirty lol.. Oh and don’t be fooled, it does it when it is hot (100) too, just not a bad and it will not do it consistently enough to show them. Still waiting for the cold..
Old 08-03-06, 01:23 PM
NewGS4me
Driver School Candidate

Default it's just weird

Okay, it's raining today and I drove my car with only the outside air blowing thru the vents, and it's as QUIET as a church this time. I guess I could take it to Lexus and reproduce the noise with the AC, since it's only happening when that's on.....

I have to keep my husband outta my car when we need the AC I guess. He has a new Mustang and the dash rattles drive him bananas, and I refer to his car as "The Rattle Bucket." I CANNOT have my dream car thrown into the same category as his Ford. Aaaaaack.

Quick Reply: any chance dash rattle will disappear on its own?