GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2007 GS350 is OUT now!!! Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-06, 04:30 PM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it a problem that lexus is putting a stronger motor in the GS? Where does lexus -who's known for underpowered cars- making their cars faster become an issue?

On a side note, I would be happy if I never heard M35 again. It is not a lexus, just as lexus is not a mercedes. I recognize infiniti as a major luxury brand like Iran recognizes Israel as a sovereign state.
Old 07-23-06, 01:19 AM
jwu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Considering that the GS is not an inexpensive car, and considering that it was never an overwhelming success as the 2006 GS300, I do not expect, other than on these Forums, that it is going to do gang busters at the dealerships....
I agree, I dropped off my car for service and got a loaner GS300 for a day. I really like the car and started researching on this board about its prices, etc. The dealership is not moving the GS 300 (this came from a Lexus sales guy even). I saw one on the lot for 46K MSRP, according to this forum, it could be had at or below invoice. At MSRP, the GS 300 seems over priced. I have decided that I will wait 12-18 months for the GS 350 and I believe then the 350 can be had at invoice or invoice + 1k max.
Old 07-23-06, 01:24 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the GS 350 will go a long way towards making the 3 GS more successful. Note I did not say segment dominating or some other fanboyishness, but I do think near segment leadership (#3 or so) is likely. The 350 will have more than the signature Lexus refinement in a sporty sedan sized package, it has more than competitive HP, the New NAVI which is the best and sharpest looking on the road, etc. In my opinion this is the GS we were looking for when the 3 GS came out and some of us said, "Very good...almost, but not quite..." It is also probably closer to 'the whole package' that Lexus envisioned when the GS was released as the first showcase of Lexus' new design direction. Now L-Finesse meets Gen 5 NAVI and the new engine!

I'm waiting with baited breath for Lexus.com to update with news of the GS 350.

As for the GS 430, I imagine right now the V8 GS market will be headlined by the GS 450h, and remaining GS 430 sales until the GS 460 drops sometime next year.
Old 07-23-06, 12:20 PM
PoppFlyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by enigma888
I think the GS 350 will go a long way towards making the 3 GS more successful. Note I did not say segment dominating or some other fanboyishness, but I do think near segment leadership (#3 or so) is likely. The 350 will have more than the signature Lexus refinement in a sporty sedan sized package, it has more than competitive HP, the New NAVI which is the best and sharpest looking on the road, etc. In my opinion this is the GS we were looking for when the 3 GS came out and some of us said, "Very good...almost, but not quite..." It is also probably closer to 'the whole package' that Lexus envisioned when the GS was released as the first showcase of Lexus' new design direction. Now L-Finesse meets Gen 5 NAVI and the new engine!

I'm waiting with baited breath for Lexus.com to update with news of the GS 350.

As for the GS 430, I imagine right now the V8 GS market will be headlined by the GS 450h, and remaining GS 430 sales until the GS 460 drops sometime next year.
Great post.
Agreed...

Old 07-23-06, 12:57 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not one little teeny bitty regret for buying the GS300 before the 350 came out. What the heck am I supposed to do, hate the car because they're adding 50 ponies? The 300 is fast enough for me. It will never be raced. It will never see a track. It won't ever be a stoplight dragster. I don't see the big deal. Cars evolve. That doesn't stop the pre-evolved model from being a great car......and the 300 is a great car. Style, luxury, grace and enough power to get the job done.
You guys just want something to talk about. Or you're making yourself feel better because you don't have a GS yet. I don't know, I don't care. Enjoy your debate.

Just having fun!
Old 07-23-06, 03:04 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

IS there any prices for the 350 yet? I assume it will be priced aroung what the 300 is.. and possibly go down after a few months after the release date.
Old 07-24-06, 06:46 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by reggiek
I have not one little teeny bitty regret for buying the GS300 before the 350 came out. What the heck am I supposed to do, hate the car because they're adding 50 ponies? The 300 is fast enough for me. It will never be raced. It will never see a track. It won't ever be a stoplight dragster. I don't see the big deal. Cars evolve. That doesn't stop the pre-evolved model from being a great car......and the 300 is a great car. Style, luxury, grace and enough power to get the job done.
You guys just want something to talk about. Or you're making yourself feel better because you don't have a GS yet. I don't know, I don't care. Enjoy your debate.

Just having fun!
Exacty. The GS 300 is not a slow car, it may not be lightining quick but it has other strong attributes.
Here is GS 300 progress
93-95 1GS 0-60= 9 seconds
96-97 1GS =Around 8.3 seconds (new 5 speed auto added)
98-05 2GS= Around 7.8 seconds (same tranny, now with VVTi)
06-07 3GS= Around 6.9 seconds (new engine, dual VVTi, direct injection)

So you GAINED pretty much a second in the 0-60 chase and 1/4 mile with ONLY a 25hp increase. That is TECHNOLOGY. Then you have pretty much top fuel economy.

Old 07-24-06, 01:11 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tall Texas Tale hard to swallow...

Information is only as good as its source....Would there be any point to decreasing performance by adding displacement, horsepower and torque? The GS350 may be out already in Japan for all I know. We could use a reliable report from the land of the rising sun vs. a friend of a friend in Texarkana....The new GS350 will have an excellent balance in performance, handling and comfort. The Gen. 5 nav. is crystal clear in its graphics, font and back- up camera view. It needs to have the IPOD input added or everyone will still need the VAISTECH unit. The interior lighting could be more robust too. This car still sells well as long as it is Nav. equipped. They should decrease the non-nav. production as demand is low. I hope they get here by September.

Rock
Old 07-24-06, 05:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Lextranny
My buddy just called me from Austin, Texas. He test drove the GS350 at his local dealership.
He said the GS350 was sluggish. The G300 was more responsive. Dunno....I gotta test drive it myself.

They are here folks!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally.
How credible is this info? This is all heresay. The GS350 should arrive to the port late August into early September like most new model year Lexus vehicles do. If your buddy drove a GS350 like he says, it's a pre production model if that. Not even the folks at headquarters have seen the car let alone someone in Texas driving it?
Old 07-24-06, 05:32 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Faheta
Will the GS350 be an addition the GS lineup or will it replace the 300?
For the US market, the GS350 is a replacement for the GS300. The GS300 has been on sale in the US since early 2005, more than a year and a half now.

I will post all the new changes and info for 2007 after the embargo date listed by Lexus HQ in August. stay tuned.
Old 07-24-06, 07:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by enigma888
I think the GS 350 will go a long way towards making the 3 GS more successful.
I don't think it will make much difference as long as the car doesn't have a sport package to lower the car a bit and make it handle better.

Note I did not say segment dominating or some other fanboyishness, but I do think near segment leadership (#3 or so) is likely.
Behind 5 and E series I guess? So that would make it ahead of A6, STS, M35. We'll see...

As for the GS 430, I imagine right now the V8 GS market will be headlined by the GS 450h,
But the 450h is not a V8.
Old 07-26-06, 06:19 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

I don't know guys, I mean it all depends on the type of person you are i.e. need to have 1st year model before everyone else (early adopters) or those that like to wait a year to get out the so-called "kinks" (and from reading the posts, like the GX, this car rattles more than a Lexus should and I've read this elsewhere too). But c'mon, this forum has always been about "where's the power, why won't Lexus get into the HP wars?", so when the '06 was announced, it was pretty universal (even carmags too) that it was underpowered for its class. Then shortly after its release the rumors started about a new engine in only the second year , pretty much unheard of. And when the specs were ballparked at a little over 300HP, this board was ecstatic. Now all of a sudden the early adopters are the only ones here downplaying it, saying their car is fast enough, NAV upgrade who cares? Here's the thing: Lexus never bumped up power until recently, like 1Sick said, the changes were very minimal, a little wood here, tinted lenses there. But to jump 55HP is pretty significant, and if you wait a few months you'll probably get it for less than the 06' was! I guess patience pays off, and what's great is that I hardly see any GS's at all around Boston!
Old 07-26-06, 06:29 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the only major question I have yet to see a solid answer to, yet, is 'will it have the 8-speed or the 6-speed auto?'

My default reaction would be that it still has the 6-speed. However I'm about 99% confident that the GS460 will be coming out and about 95% confident it will have an 8-speed auto when it does. The 6-cylinder and 8-cylinder GS have always shared the same basic transmission design/casing/gearing in the past so I doubt this will be any different. I guess what I'm saying is that I would figure they would do the 8-speed now and get it over with... otherwise the 07 GS350s will have a 6 speed and the 08s will go to the 8 speed... adding to the confusion.
Old 07-26-06, 06:52 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusPride
I don't know guys, I mean it all depends on the type of person you are i.e. need to have 1st year model before everyone else (early adopters) or those that like to wait a year to get out the so-called "kinks" (and from reading the posts, like the GX, this car rattles more than a Lexus should and I've read this elsewhere too). But c'mon, this forum has always been about "where's the power, why won't Lexus get into the HP wars?", so when the '06 was announced, it was pretty universal (even carmags too) that it was underpowered for its class. Then shortly after its release the rumors started about a new engine in only the second year , pretty much unheard of. And when the specs were ballparked at a little over 300HP, this board was ecstatic. Now all of a sudden the early adopters are the only ones here downplaying it, saying their car is fast enough, NAV upgrade who cares? Here's the thing: Lexus never bumped up power until recently, like 1Sick said, the changes were very minimal, a little wood here, tinted lenses there. But to jump 55HP is pretty significant, and if you wait a few months you'll probably get it for less than the 06' was! I guess patience pays off, and what's great is that I hardly see any GS's at all around Boston!
I like your post and I would reply that I'm not one of the early adopters but I do like my GS300. I wasn't one of those complaining about Lexus lack of power. Heck, I'm still happy with my 225 hp sc300. Well, I'd like it to have a little more power but I'm not a power freak. Main reason is you can only go so fast on the interstate. As I said before, I won't be racing. All I need is enough power to pass the slowpokes and bob weave through traffic. Would I prefer 300 hp over 245? Yes.....but it isn't something to make me wait years to get the car I want. You guys that wanna wait, more power to you. But don't make out like the ones that have their car made some collassal mistake. That's crap.
Old 07-26-06, 08:27 PM
GreatSmile
Pole Position

I agree with reggiek!!!
I am not an early adaptor!. Coming from an Acura TL-S packed with 260 hp, I do not feel my 300 awd is underpowered. My commute is all local. I only live 10 mins (5 miles) away from my office. Currently I am running about 19 to 20 mpg on GS and I am loving it! I could have waited for the 300 hp GS350. But at what mpg? I was only getting 16mpg for my TL-S! The question is how much HP is enough? 300? 400? 500? With the way our fuel price is going, it will be very interesting to see where this hp war is heading. Remember, you can only go so fast on the interstate.
For those who are waiting for the 350, you won't regret it. The GS is an excellent car. For those who has gs300 now, enjoy what you have because you have the advantage to enjoy it earlier!

Quick Reply: 2007 GS350 is OUT now!!! Wow!