GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS Design Anaysis by Robert Cumberford (Automobile Mag) Scans inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-06, 09:02 AM
LexFather

Exclamation 3GS Design Anaysis by Robert Cumberford (Automobile Mag) Scans inside

While may not all agree with the design of the 3GS, it is a part people do talk about. Compared to its Japanese counterparts and even its German/English/Americans, the 3GS styling has gathered tons of praise as well as the eyes of car designers. I scanned what Del Coates thought here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=COATES

Its a pretty big deal for one SEDAN to have a design anyalsis by basically the only 2 guys doing it EVERY MONTH, Robert Cumberford for Automobile, Del Coates for Sports Car International.

I think this speaks VOLUMES on the design, that is is attracting attention.

The 3GS is the first PRODUCTION Lexus with L-finesse, though I wonder why the GS does not have the "dumbo" ears of the IS/LS.

Here is the article, enjoy.

Old 06-07-06, 09:44 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the article, it was an interesting read.

IMHO, the design of the 3rd gen GS is good, but nothing special. When I first saw the 2nd gen GS in '97, I was immediately blown away. People either loved it or hated it. I don't get that same feeling with the 3rd gen GS.

I guess one problem I have with the GS is that it looks great at certain angles, but downright plain in other angles. Unfortunately it suffers from being the first L-Finesse Lexus, as the subsequent L-Finesse models look very good to me.

Don't get me wrong, I really like my GS. But I do hope that future revisions to this model bring a more aggressive design. But hey, what do I know. Some of my friends think I'm crazy for loving the design of the CLS and 6 Series Coupe
Old 02-07-15, 12:35 PM
LexusLive
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
While may not all agree with the design of the 3GS, it is a part people do talk about. Compared to its Japanese counterparts and even its German/English/Americans, the 3GS styling has gathered tons of praise as well as the eyes of car designers. I scanned what Del Coates thought here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=COATES

Its a pretty big deal for one SEDAN to have a design anyalsis by basically the only 2 guys doing it EVERY MONTH, Robert Cumberford for Automobile, Del Coates for Sports Car International.

I think this speaks VOLUMES on the design, that is is attracting attention.

The 3GS is the first PRODUCTION Lexus with L-finesse, though I wonder why the GS does not have the "dumbo" ears of the IS/LS.

Here is the article, enjoy.

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I was wondering if anyone has this original article?