GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-06, 05:22 AM
spiff72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonartech
Sheesh - definitely sounds like a hardware/media issue, then, if your v5.1 backup fails to be read. I'm using Memorex Double Layer DVD+R, 2.4x media.

SonarTech
Thanks, Sonartech.

I picked up some of those blanks and some cheapo Dynex blanks last nite. I tried one of the Dynex blanks and the problems continue. I didn't try a Memorex blank, because I packed up the burner to return/exchange it for a different model. The burner I have been using is a Samsung external drive. I saw an LG model there when I picked up the blanks last night - I will probably try that one next.

My coaster count has now exceeded 10!
Old 10-10-06, 07:20 AM
tligg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aj786
Anyone know where i can get this mod done? I live in the SF Bay Area.

Thanks.
-AJ
Does anybody know where I can have the NAV/Bluetooth performed in the DFW area?
Old 10-10-06, 02:20 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to adjust Fog Light leveling/aim...

So... I finally got off my lazy butt the other day and took some snaps. First, take off the front wheels to access fender well liners. Remove clips and screws holding the front portion of the fender liner and peel back (no need to remove whole thing). You should be able to see the back of the fog light housing. Locate the silverish "screw" with an 8mm head and turn clockwise/counter to adjust height/leveling of fog light.
Attached Thumbnails Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's-dsc07534.jpg  
Old 10-10-06, 09:43 PM
spikerjack
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sonartech
That depends on what exactly you're trying to do. The procedure I just described seems to be getting around the missing "Over Ride" option quite nicely without cutting any wires or any other side-effects. Obviously, you do have to "force" it to take the old firmware which is fairly easy - IF you have a copy of the old v5.1 firmware like my RX-350 came with. If, however, you want to be able to use the phone book, Music folder browse and Calendar functions while moving, you'll have to follow the instructions in the following post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=226825

Note that you'll only need to alter pin 1 and pin 8 as described in that post IF you have Mark Levinson Audio AND you want to watch DVD's while moving. If you don't have the ML audio system or you don't care about watching DVD's-in-motion, then just remove the VSS - Vehicle Speed Sense (Connector M5, Pin 20 / Red Wire). Instead of cutting it as the instructions say, I recommend just removing the entire pin from the connector and sealing it inside heat-shrink to insulate it. That gives you an easy, solder-free way to re-attach the wire to the connector if needed - and not even the factory could tell you were there. If you actually cut the wire, they're damn-sure going to know someone's been fooling around back there... In these kinds of endeavors, my advice is to always have a clean way out and cover your tracks while visiting. No need to take unnecessary risks with your warranty.

I can also confirm that removing VSS pin 20 in this way does not have any (apparent) additional side effects beyond losing the ability to immediately access the speed dial screen while moving by pressing the off-hook button on the steering wheel. Pressing that button after you do this mod will take you instead to the number entry screen, and you'll have to press speed dial to access the speed dial keys. That's the only apparent down-side to doing this modification as described. Like I said, you'll gain the ability to access the Calendar, direct-dial phone numbers from the display, browse music folders and use the other functions on the Menu page while moving. I've had that mod in place for 3 months now and it's just lovely.

Cheers,

SonarTech

SonarTech,

The mod you describe for the RX350 to get music folder browse and phone book (VSS on pin 20 of the M5 connector)....I assume that is behind the Nav display....I have had the radio assembly out to install Sat radio (Vais SLI and SLS) but haven't move up to the multi display. Three questions...

1) If I can get the RA out...is getting the multi display out much harder? Are there clear instructions on how to do that additional step?

2) Would you mind a bit more detail on the pin 20 mod you suggest....Are you saying pull the pin off the wire and heat shrink the now exposed wire? When wanting to revert to "default" you would simply remove the heat shrink and put the pin back on? Any additional tips on this one specific suggestion would be great...

3) And just to be clear...if all I want is music folder browse and phone book (no DVD play) and I don't have ML...I don't need to mess with pins 1 and 8, correct?

Thanks in advance for any new insight...

--Scott
Old 10-10-06, 11:27 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by spikerjack
SonarTech,

The mod you describe for the RX350 to get music folder browse and phone book (VSS on pin 20 of the M5 connector)....I assume that is behind the Nav display....I have had the radio assembly out to install Sat radio (Vais SLI and SLS) but haven't move up to the multi display. Three questions...

1) If I can get the RA out...is getting the multi display out much harder? Are there clear instructions on how to do that additional step?

2) Would you mind a bit more detail on the pin 20 mod you suggest....Are you saying pull the pin off the wire and heat shrink the now exposed wire? When wanting to revert to "default" you would simply remove the heat shrink and put the pin back on? Any additional tips on this one specific suggestion would be great...

3) And just to be clear...if all I want is music folder browse and phone book (no DVD play) and I don't have ML...I don't need to mess with pins 1 and 8, correct?

Thanks in advance for any new insight...

--Scott
Answers:

1) The Nav system display (multi-display), the Nav ECU and the radio are all one stacked unit, so if you take one out, you'll have ready-access to the other ones as well. Just a reminder, however: When using a 10mm socket to remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the console in, USE A MAGNET OR DOUBLESTICK TAPE to maintain positive control of the bolts as you pull them out. If they drop down to the bottom of the console, you'll be very, very sorry as they are VERY hard to get back without some major interior trim disassembly - which could include removing the console between the seats! Blehhh!!

2) For the pin 20 mod, my suggestion is to remove the pin from the connector, leaving the wire attached to the pin. Then use a small 1" length of heat-shrink tube to insulate the pin hanging off the end of the wire. That way you'll be able to easily re-insert the pin back into the connector at a later date if you want or need to. Taking the metal pin out of the back of the connector takes some finesse and >70% of the people who try this will frustrate themselves to the point of just cutting the wire while shouting "F--- IT!". I can assure you that if you examine closely how the pin is locked inside the connector and you have a small jeweler's flat-blade screwdriver, releasing it isn't that hard - it's just a little 'counter intuitive' perhaps. Be patient and you'll get it out. Re-inserting the pin back into the connector if necessary is very easy - just line it up facing the same direction as the other pins and slide it in. Use the jeweler's screwdriver to push it snugly into the connector until it 'clicks' back in place.

3) I don't have ML either, and no, you DON'T have to monkey with the Parking Brake signal short (pins 1 & 8) modification if you don't have ML.

Cheers,

SonarTech

Last edited by Sonartech; 10-10-06 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-11-06, 05:53 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SonarTech

I have a non-ML/Nav 06 GS350. Is it only the Pin 20 that needs to be removed? Will this work on mine to get the bluetooth and radio messages?

Where do I find Pin 20? I've seen the three connectors under the console, but which wire? what color?

Thanks
Old 10-11-06, 08:49 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

Originally Posted by spiff72
Thanks, Sonartech.

I picked up some of those blanks and some cheapo Dynex blanks last nite. I tried one of the Dynex blanks and the problems continue. I didn't try a Memorex blank, because I packed up the burner to return/exchange it for a different model. The burner I have been using is a Samsung external drive. I saw an LG model there when I picked up the blanks last night - I will probably try that one next.

My coaster count has now exceeded 10!
I made successful copies using DVD Decrypter and Fuji DVD+R disks.
Click on the .mds file that is created and burn at the slowest speed.
Within DVD Dycrypter select Booking Type DVD-ROM. Your burner
has to support Booking Type selection.
I also made many coasters untill I got a new burner form Dell.
It's a Philips which is made by BenQ and is recognized by
DVD Decrypter.
Old 10-11-06, 11:42 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by hziemba
SonarTech

I have a non-ML/Nav 06 GS350. Is it only the Pin 20 that needs to be removed? Will this work on mine to get the bluetooth and radio messages?

Where do I find Pin 20? I've seen the three connectors under the console, but which wire? what color?

Thanks
Sorry, I don't have a '06 GS350, so I can't confirm anything I read for it - especially since TechInfo doesn't even show a 2006 GS350. I don't know what you mean when you say "radio messages". I've described in detail what I gained on my ES-350 and RX-350 in previous messages by removing SPD (aka VSS) from the back of the Multi-Display. I don't know what you'll gain (or lose) by removing the SPD signal from your GS350 multi-display. I would guess that it does the same thing as the ES & RX, but I don't know for sure: As such (and since I can't find information for a 2006 GS350 anywhere) "your mileage may vary" and you should verify this information yourself at Techinfo.Toyota.com, "Terminals of ECU", NS-45. The following is for a 2007 GS350. I don't know if it applies to a 2006 model year or not:

'07 GS350, Multi-Display ECU, Connector K46 (26 pin connector):
  • SPD = PIN 14 COLOR CODE V
  • PKB = PIN 23 COLOR CODE Y
  • GND1 = PIN 10 COLOR CODE W-B
'07 GS350, Navigation ECU, Connector h1 (16 pin connector):
  • SPD = PIN 16 COLOR CODE W-B
The Nav ECU SPD connection is provided just FYI. I think if you remove K46 PIN 14, you'll remove the Phone Book, Dialing, Calendar and Maintenance lock-out-in-motion. At least that's how it worked on my ES & RX.

Good luck.

SonarTech
Old 10-12-06, 05:14 AM
spiff72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tuxlex
I made successful copies using DVD Decrypter and Fuji DVD+R disks.
Click on the .mds file that is created and burn at the slowest speed.
Within DVD Dycrypter select Booking Type DVD-ROM. Your burner
has to support Booking Type selection.
I also made many coasters untill I got a new burner form Dell.
It's a Philips which is made by BenQ and is recognized by
DVD Decrypter.
Tuxlex,

Out of curiosity, were the coasters you were making readable in normal computer DVD ROM drives? In other words, were they only being rejected by your Nav system? This is the type of behavior I am seeing.

I think I have DVD decrypter on my PC - I might give that a shot. I have a pretty old version - I might have see if there is a newer version out there.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 10-12-06, 02:45 PM
kg2kg
Driver School Candidate

Default How to remove the Nav DVD?

Could I ask a basic question is how do I remove the Nav. DVD? I have a new RX350 with Nav. out of Canada and the volume screen hack works on it. I just don't see any place to eject the DVD?

I want to thank Sonartech for his work in this area. I have learned a great deal.

Thanks, Kg2Kg
Old 10-12-06, 03:50 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

In the RX the dvd is in the trunk area beneath the cover closest to the rear seat (not the two push button enclosures). Its on the right side looking into the covered area and you have to remove a small cover that is one the side of the box where the unit is. As I recall power needs to be on and then the dvd will eject when you push a slide one way or the other.

Much easier on the GS as its in the glove box and just press eject on the dvd screen.
Old 10-12-06, 05:45 PM
Tuxlex
Driver

Originally Posted by spiff72
Tuxlex,

Out of curiosity, were the coasters you were making readable in normal computer DVD ROM drives? In other words, were they only being rejected by your Nav system? This is the type of behavior I am seeing.

I think I have DVD decrypter on my PC - I might give that a shot. I have a pretty old version - I might have see if there is a newer version out there.

Thanks,
Jeff
Yes, my coasters were readable in a PC. Examiantion showed
that they were not booking type DVD-ROM.

The version of my DVD Decryptor is 3.5.4.0
Old 10-12-06, 05:49 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sonartech:
Sorry about the typo - I have a 2006 GS300 w/o ML-Nav - maybe I have a hidden desire to trade in for a GS350.

By radio messages I mean the RDS message with the station/song info.

So if I understand correctly, I just have to disconnect the one violet wire going into the 26 pin connector.

I don't trust myself with a soldering iron, but pushing out something with a jeweler's screwdriver is OK.

When I open the connector and find the violet wire, do I need to push the pin out of the connector?

Do I have to ground it, or can I just "shrink insulate it"?

Thanks!
Old 10-12-06, 06:27 PM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hziemba
Sonartech:
Sorry about the typo - I have a 2006 GS300 w/o ML-Nav - maybe I have a hidden desire to trade in for a GS350.

Don't fight it, do it!
Old 10-12-06, 07:38 PM
jaxgs350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Don't fight it, do it!
I hate to be a pain, but would you please type up a short step-by-step for how you did this mod to your 2007 GS350? In trying to follow all the posts in this thread, I am afraid I'll miss something and I don't want to frack it up when I get the panel opened. Also, any R&R tips on the center panel to get that sucker on/off is greatly appreciated!

Car in question in also an '07 with DVD NAV and ML system... just like your's I think.

btw, any jerkiness to the screen, or other problems you've noted since you made the mod?
Or is all well / no issues?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's