GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-06, 11:43 AM
chiefvh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonartech
There's no wiring difference (according to TechInfo) between the brand-newest new RX-350's and mine that's 3 months old. The only difference is the firmware loaded in the unit. If you can get the v5.1 LOADING.KWI file from somewhere, I recommend you follow the procedure I wrote to force the unit to flash itself with older firmware, thus restoring the software override option.

If you remove VSS from the Nav system, your system won't be able to provide an absolutely critical input to dead-reckoning, and your map display will no longer scroll smoothly as you move (aka "jerky display"). Trip speed guesstimation will be used to calculate route times, all based on GPS and not actual vehicle speed. In short, the loss of quality of data that you'll gain as a result of cutting VSS to the NAV system is significant; in my opinion, it's not worth it. If you do decide to cut VSS to the Nav system, I highly recommend you add a switch to allow easy re-enabling of the VSS signal after you're done using the Nav menu. Also, note that just because you cut VSS to the Nav system, doesn't mean that it won't be able to occasionally detect that the car is moving, and you will occasionally see Nav menu items get temporarily locked-out, even with VSS removed (because the Nav system computes apparent speed over ground based on the GPS information).

Again, I very much DO NOT recommend using this as a workaround. If you're determined to anyway, at least remove the PIN instead of cutting the wire so that you can see how the system will (mis-)behave before you move to make this a permanent mod.

Nav ECU: Connector N3, Pin 4. Wire color [BR - W-B], Signal = Speed Signal.

Yikes.

SonarTech
i got ya. i will try to understand the firmware procedure but i'd be a rookie attempting that and i don't know where i'd obtain the 5.1 version. i got my seatbelt chime off. thanks again for your help.
Old 09-27-06, 01:37 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Removing VSS does NOT impact the Nav system...
But then in a later post, you state:

If you remove VSS from the Nav system, your system won't be able to provide an absolutely critical input to dead-reckoning, and your map display will no longer scroll smoothly as you move (aka "jerky display"). Trip speed guesstimation will be used to calculate route times, all based on GPS and not actual vehicle speed. In short, the loss of quality of data that you'll gain as a result of cutting VSS to the NAV system is significant; in my opinion, it's not worth it
Doesn't the second quote clearly imply that removing VSS does impact the Nav system...especially since you say that doing so isn't worth it?

Last edited by toneman; 09-27-06 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-27-06, 05:39 PM
TKtex
Driver School Candidate

Default Nav version

Dumb question but how do I tell if nav is v5.1 versus v6.1?

Thanks
Old 09-27-06, 06:24 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by toneman
Doesn't the second quote clearly imply that removing VSS does impact the Nav system...especially since you say that doing so isn't worth it?

Well, it would if you clearly understood which VSS signal I was talking about in my first post. There's one to the Multi-display (that I removed to allow access to MENU-based items) and there's a completely separate VSS signal going to the Nav ECU, which I don't recommend removing for the reasons described.

SonarTech
Old 09-27-06, 06:27 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by chiefvh
i got ya. i will try to understand the firmware procedure but i'd be a rookie attempting that and i don't know where i'd obtain the 5.1 version. i got my seatbelt chime off. thanks again for your help.
Oh, great. Someone else driving unsafely now. Super. WONDERFUL.

Now that you've done this, you'll never hear that beeping you should have never heard in the first place. Shame on you!
Old 09-27-06, 07:44 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by TKtex
Dumb question but how do I tell if nav is v5.1 versus v6.1?

Thanks
At the very bottom of your NavDVD are 9 blue dots arranged in a square. There's text to the bottom-right of that square which indicates the version (aka DATE ver).

SonarTech
Old 09-28-06, 06:53 AM
chiefvh
Driver School Candidate

Oh, great. Someone else driving unsafely now. Super. WONDERFUL.

Now that you've done this, you'll never hear that beeping you should have never heard in the first place. Shame on you!
this adjustment has made going down to the convenience store, a joy....and sonar, never trust a person who puts their seatbelt on before they start the engine. they're all neurotic dweebs.
Old 09-28-06, 12:47 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Well, it would if you clearly understood which VSS signal I was talking about in my first post. There's one to the Multi-display (that I removed to allow access to MENU-based items) and there's a completely separate VSS signal going to the Nav ECU, which I don't recommend removing for the reasons described.

SonarTech
My bad--I didn't know that there was two separate VSS wires.
Old 09-29-06, 11:13 PM
ACLC
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD & Bluetooth Override

Two questions about this modification:
1. Does the GS's positive battery terminal need to be disconnected before doing this procedure?

2. Any draw-backs to doing this modification; other than warranty problems?
Old 09-30-06, 12:10 AM
Sonartech
Rookie

Default Dissecting the v5.1 and v6.1 LOADING.KWI files

In a quest to determine why the v6.1 LOADING.KWI file was ~25 megs larger than the previous version, I dissected both versions and did a side-by-side comparison. Here are my findings:

v5.1 LOADING.KWI

Manufacturer ID's (1):
  • "DENSO"
Modules:
  1. "TD00" - Size 21,506,048 bytes (20.5MB)
  2. "TE00" - Size 26,574,848 byes (25.3MB)
"Over Ride" (Nav "Over Ride" on the System menu) text found at the following 8 locations:
  1. TD00: 0xbf334d
  2. TD00: 0xc11fca
  3. TD00: 0xc308da
  4. TD00: 0xc4b6e2
  5. TE00: 0xdbe81f
  6. TE00: 0xddd49e
  7. TE00: 0xdfbdb0
  8. TE00: 0xe16bbb
v6.1 LOADING.KWI

Manufacturer ID's (2):
  • "DENSO"
  • "V£"
Modules:
  1. "TD00" (DENSO) - Size 21,506,048 bytes (20.5MB)
  2. "TE00" (DENSO) - Size 26,574,848 byes (25.3MB)
  3. "V314" (V£) - Size 25,321,472 bytes (24.1MB)
"Over Ride" (Nav "Over Ride" on the System menu) text found at the following 9 locations:
  1. TD00: 0xbf31c5
  2. TD00: 0xc11e42
  3. TD00: 0xc30752
  4. TD00: 0xc4b6e2
  5. TD00: 0xc4b55a
  6. TE00: 0xdbe85f
  7. TE00: 0xddd4de
  8. TE00: 0xdfbdf0
  9. TE00: 0xe16bfb
Quick Analysis

The first thing you might notice is that the actual firmware files are identically sized between v5.1 and v6.1. That's very comforting to know, and now I'm not near as "creeped-out" about forcing v5.1 firmware on a unit that originally came with v6.1. There are definitely changes in the firmware, however. The one file that's adding the additional 24.1MB to the v6.1 LOADING.KWI file is called "V314" and is almost certainly updates and/or enhancements to the voice recognition / talkback features. Nearly every string I found in that file had to do with verbal commands, text on the display in response to verbal commands or different ways to actuate similar functions using verbal commands. Nothing override-related in that file at all. Further, it's absence in the v5.1 firmware leads me to believe it's more of a "patch" than an actual replacement for one of the firmware modules. It's missing commands that we know work, like "I'm hungry", so I think it's just an update of some sort.

The real meat'n'taters is in the TD00 and TE00 modules. These are the files that we need to disassemble that contain all of the Navigation system magic, including bypasses and overrides. I haven't taken my Nav system out of my RX-350 and opened it up yet, but if this system's built similar to my old Cadillac Deville's DENSO-based Nav system, it uses a Hitachi SH-3 or SH-4 based processor. Even still, I don't know that disassembling these firmware segments would be too revealing, because I think there's some kind of UNIX-esq RTOS involved here - and if it's proprietary (and it smells like it might just be), even having the disassembled code might be worthless if we don't know how it works. About all I can do is some limited comparative analysis between the two. If we can disassemble these chunks into actual processor code, it's possible we might be able to find the chunk of code that draws the text "Over Ride" to the display. If we can find that, we should be able to trace backwards and find the start of that routine in the firmware. After we find that, we just need to find the jump from the code that starts that routine. That jump will likely be the code that handles the hidden input sequence. We can compare that code with the v5.1 code we know and love and see what Denso monkeyed around with and how they changed it. Hopefully from that we can determine what new voodoo is required to conjure up the blessed System menu that has both the "Over Ride" and the "Loading" menu options. Once we have that, we're done.

Sounds easy, huh? "Yes" you say? FINE. You do it. I'm going to go take a nap now. Let me know when you figure it out - and no, I won't hold my breath!!

Seriously, though, I don't know diddly-squat about SH-3 machine language. I can muttle my way around in 6502 and limited x86 ML, but I've never seen SH-3 or SH-4 ML in any form. I assume it's somewhat intuitive, so we can probably figure it out... IF we can find a disassembler that works AND we can find out how to actually remove the necessary code chunks from the TD00 and TE00 files themselves.

One other small point: Did you notice that v6.1 has an 1 extra "Over Ride" found in the TD00 file? I don't know why, and I don't have any theories, either. I can verify that there is more code in the relevant segments for the v6.1 firmware, so they definitely changed things up a bit. I can't really see any improvements in v6.1 over v5.1 using the car, however... Perhaps time will tell. I'll admit I'm somewhat handicapped at this point, however, because I've already reloaded my ES-350 with v5.1 firmware as well, and I'm very reluctant to re-load v6.1 just so I can play with it - especially when there are no obvious improvements to the UI or functionality.

A version 5.1 firmware using v6.1 map data is working just fine for me right now.

SonarTech

PS - If you're interested, here's a list of all of the available voice commands referenced in that V314 firmware file with duplicates removed:

65 degrees, 66 degrees, 67 degrees, 68 degrees, 69 degrees, 70 degrees, 71 degrees, 72 degrees, 73 degrees, 74 degrees, 75 degrees, 76 degrees, 77 degrees, 78 degrees, 79 degrees, 80 degrees, 81 degrees, 82 degrees, 83 degrees, 84 degrees, 85 degrees, AM radio, Add to destination, Address, Arrow guidance, Audio, Automatic air conditioning, Back, CD changer, Cancel, Cassette, Change city, Change house number, Change map direction, Change state, Change street, Change to heading up, Change to north up, Change to turn list guide, Command help, Command list, Compass mode, Cooler, Current position, DVD, DVD changer, Delete all destinations, Delete final destination, Delete next destination, Destination, Destination 1, Destination 2, Destination 3, Destination 4, Destination 5, Detour, Detour entire route, Detour route, Dial by Name, Dial by Number, Disc down, Disc up, Dual map, Enter destination, Entire route, Entire route map, FM radio, FM1, FM2, Fast forward, Fifth destination map, Final destination map, First destination map, Fourth destination map, Freeway guidance, Go home, Go to 1, Go to 2, Go to 3, Go to 4, Go to 5, Go to destination 1, Go to destination 2, Go to destination 3, Go to destination 4, Go to destination 5, Go to preset destination 1, Go to preset destination 2, Go to preset destination 3, Go to preset destination 4, Go to preset destination 5, Go to previous destination, Go to previous start point, Go to previous starting point, Go to quick access 1, Go to quick access 2, Go to quick access 3, Go to quick access 4, Go to quick access 5, Go to quick access No. 1, Go to quick access No. 2, Go to quick access No. 3, Go to quick access No. 4, Go to quick access No. 5, Heading up, Help, Hide all icons, Home, Intersection guidance, Lane guidance, Louder, Lower temperature, Map, Map direction, Map screen, Mark, Mark point, Mark this point, Navigation, Next Candidate, Next destination map, Next disc, Next track, North up, POI off, Play, Previous destination, Previous disc, Previous start point, Previous starting point, Previous track, Program, Quick, Quick 1, Quick 2, Quick 2 route, Quick access 1, Quick access 2, Quick access 3, Quick access 4, Quick access 5, Quick access No. 1, Quick access No. 2, Quick access No. 3, Quick access No. 4, Quick access No. 5, Quick route, Quickest, Quickest route, Radio, Raise temperature, Repeat, Repeat guidance, Repeat voice, Replace destination, Resume guidance, Reverse, Rewind, Right map direction, Right map heading up, Right map north up, Right map zoom in, Right map zoom out, Route overview, SAT, SAT1, SAT2, SAT3, Satellite radio, Satellite radio1, Satellite radio2, Satellite radio3, Second destination map, Seek down, Seek up, Set as destination, Set destination, Short, Short route, Shortest, Shortest route, Show arrow guidance, Show compass mode, Show dual map, Show fifth destination, Show final destination, Show first destination, Show fourth destination, Show freeway guidance, Show intersection guidance, Show lane guidance, Show list, Show map, Show next destination, Show second destination, Show single map, Show third destination, Show turn by turn guidance, Show turn list guidance, Single map, Skip backward, Softer, Start guidance, Stop guidance, Suspend guidance, Tape, Temperature 65 degrees, Temperature 66 degrees, Temperature 67 degrees, Temperature 68 degrees, Temperature 69 degrees, Temperature 70 degrees, Temperature 71 degrees, Temperature 72 degrees, Temperature 73 degrees, Temperature 74 degrees, Temperature 75 degrees, Temperature 76 degrees, Temperature 77 degrees, Temperature 78 degrees, Temperature 79 degrees, Temperature 80 degrees, Temperature 81 degrees, Temperature 82 degrees, Temperature 83 degrees, Temperature 84 degrees, Temperature 85 degrees, Third destination map, Track down, Track up, Turn by turn guidance, Turn list guidance, Turn list guide, Type down, Type up, Voice, Warmer, Yes, Zoom in, Zoom in right map, Zoom out, Zoom out right map.

Last edited by Sonartech; 09-30-06 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-30-06, 09:05 PM
spiff72
Driver School Candidate

Important update:

After installing XM Radio into the new ES-350, I've come across some incredibly interesting findings that may interest others engaged in this endeavor.

I had the entire center console out of my wife's car for more than an hour installing equipment and running antenna cable through the firewall (which seriously sucked, I might add!!!). After I reinstalled the Nav ECU et al and did a quick test, a screen appeared that I'd never seen before, not even in the RX-350. Written in Engrish, it stated something to the effect of "The system was unable to load the program, Please consult to the dealer" with some additional Japanese text below that. As part of the original removal process, I removed the v6.1 Nav DVD from the unit. When I got this error message, I put the original v6.1 Nav DVD back in the unit to see if it would load/recover. Instead, I stumbled upon a firmware update display complete with the text "The system is loading, DO NOT POWER OFF THE VEHICLE". It even came with a free progress bar! The flash process took about 30 seconds and then the system automatically restarted. Voila! The Nav program was loaded and worked normally. After feeling the hair raise up on the back of my neck for what I'd just seen, I ran over to the RX-350 and took out that custom DVD I made for the other car - the one that had new v6.1 data but retained the older v5.1 LOADING.KWI file. I ejected the original v6.1 Map DVD, turned the car off and then disconnected all of the cables on the back of the ES-350 Nav ECU as before. After waiting about 5 minutes (perhaps to let it "clear" itself again), I plugged everything back in and restarted the car. Behold! The same greeting that the system was unable to load the program! I put my modified Map DVD in the slot and watched in amazement as the system loaded v5.1 firmware and reset itself.

Afterwards, I had complete "Over Ride" capability with the new map DVD data and no apparent side effects. Climate control voice commands still work; everything seems to be fully operational. This also led me to dig a little further into the magic Service menu where the Over Ride command lives in the v5.1 firmware. In that same menu system, there's an option called "Loading". When you select it, you have an "H" in the upper-left, a "V" in the lower-left, and an "OK" in the lower-right. If you press "OK", another menu appears asking you if you want to Load the System. If you select YES, the system flashes whatever LOADING.KWI file is present on the Map DVD, regardless of what version it is! That means that at a future date, if we do determine that some functionality was lost in the ES-350 by loading the older firmware, we can easily load the new firmware without dismantling the center console again by just using the Service menu system.

The other very important thing to note is that the "Loading" menu item only appears to exist in the same menu with the "Over Ride" command. Since that's apparently the only way Lexus Service has to manually initiate a firmware load, that option HAS to be accessible somewhere in the v6.1 firmware. Again, we just need to find out where. I've already determined that the "Over Ride" and the "Loading" menu options exist in the v6.1 firmware...

For now, I'm going to run the ES-350 with the v5.1 firmware and see if I can find any ill effects from doing so. I'm still paranoid about the 25 meg file size difference between the new v6.1 firmware and the older v5.1 firmware. For now, however, it seems to be doing just fine - and the override works just like it used to.

Cheers,

SonarTech
Quick question for you SonarTech:

I am actually a Camry Hybrid driver, and trying to figure out how to get the new maps of the 6.1 version and keep the much needed override capability.

Rather than having to disconnect the cables from the back of the device (and of course dismantle the instrument panel), do you think that simply disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes would get you to that same menu that reloads the firmware?

Great posts, by the way!

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 10-01-06, 12:11 AM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by spiff72
Quick question for you SonarTech:

I am actually a Camry Hybrid driver, and trying to figure out how to get the new maps of the 6.1 version and keep the much needed override capability.

Rather than having to disconnect the cables from the back of the device (and of course dismantle the instrument panel), do you think that simply disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes would get you to that same menu that reloads the firmware?

Great posts, by the way!

Thanks!
Jeff
Not quite sure I'm reading you right. You wrote "Keep the much needed override capability" which implies you have it currently (v5.1). Are you suggesting that your system is hard drive based and will load v6.1 firmware without any prompting from you? My experience with the RX-350 and the ES-350 is that it won't automatically load a new LOADING.KWI file unless you specifically tell it to using the "Loading" function in the hidden system menu, or unless you disconnect the unit from the car for several minutes. I suppose disconnecting the negative terminal from the battery would have the same effect, but you'd have to reset a lot of crap after you did that. That's your call, however - I have no idea how the Camry IP comes apart (I'd have to look on TechInfo), but I suspect it's along the same lines as the ES-350 since I believe they're built on the same chassis. It's actually pretty easy if you're not creeped-out by that sort of thing and you have the right tools.

Assuming your system's not hard drive based and acts like my systems do, you shouldn't have to worry about the Nav system 'automatically' loading new v6.1 firmware unless you enter one of those two conditions. (My RX-350 didn't when I put my wife's new ES-350 v6.1 DVD in it.) That said, you should be able to take an original v6.1 DVD and use it in the car without too much fear that it will pull in new firmware "just because". If it did do something odd and loading the new firmware, I suspect you could make it reload a v5.1 firmware by disconnecting the unit and loading a v5.1 DVD when it complains on boot.

Since I wasn't originally sure how it worked, I decided to burn a custom DVD+R that has all new v6.1 map data but retains the v5.1 LOADING.KWI file - just in case it decides to reload the firmware for some reason.

In my ES and RX, so far so good using this custom "fusion" DVD+R. Both my Nav systems are working completely normally - no side effects at all, except of course the map data's newer.

If you're concerned about losing the override capability, make yourself a v6.1 Nav DVD, but use the LOADING.KWI file from a v5.1 DVD and replace the one on the v6.1 DVD as I described in an earlier post.

SonarTech
Old 10-01-06, 08:48 AM
GS350Owner
Driver School Candidate

DVD Mod for GS350

Just FYI... the H1 wiring connector is totally different for the GS350 - in other words, the previously posted DVD Bypass will not work... I'm sure once someone figures out the proper wire for the signal it will be easy but I tought I'd post this...

Has anyone done the DVD Mod successfully on a GS350? If so, please post the correct wiring corrections that you had to make.
Old 10-01-06, 01:07 PM
Sonartech
Rookie

Originally Posted by GS350Owner
DVD Mod for GS350

Just FYI... the H1 wiring connector is totally different for the GS350 - in other words, the previously posted DVD Bypass will not work... I'm sure once someone figures out the proper wire for the signal it will be easy but I tought I'd post this...

Has anyone done the DVD Mod successfully on a GS350? If so, please post the correct wiring corrections that you had to make.
Not having this car, I can't tell you how it hooks up to a GS350 with any certainty. I can tell you what's on the pins that most likely correspond to the other modification:

K46 on your Multi-Display (Signal, Connector & PIN #, Wire Color):
  • GROUND = K46 PIN 10 = W-B
  • PKB = K46 PIN 23 = Y - W-B
  • SPD = K46 PIN 14 = V - W-B
  • (Provided FYI only): REV = K46 PIN 13 = R - W-B
K47 on your Multi-Display (Signal = Connector & PIN # = Wire Color):
  • Nothing interesting here. This connector contains signals from the voice guidance, the backup camera, DVD image signal and Microphone stuff.
h1 (not "H1") on your Nav ECU & Multi-Display (Signal = Connector & PIN # = Wire Color):
  • GND = h1 PIN 6 = G
  • SPD = h1 PIN 16 = W-B
  • (Provided FYI only): REV = h1 PIN 15 = GR-B
  • Note: There is no PKB signal present on connector h1
Based on this, I think the DVD mod needs to be performed on connector K46, not h1, since h1 carries no parking brake signal. I suspect the procedure is the same, however: Cut PKB on K46 and leave some slack on it. Splice the end going to the connector to GND and cap the end going into the wiring harness. For VSS (if you need this mod as well), simply remove the pin from the connector and insulate it from shorting out (heat shrink works well).

That's what I'd try - but you're on your own for this one.... unless, of course, you want to give me your GS350 so that I can have yet another Lexus in my driveway... "Lexii?"

SonarTech

Last edited by Sonartech; 10-14-06 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 06:13 PM
chiefvh
Driver School Candidate

Not having this car, I can't tell you how it hooks up to a GS350 with any certainty. I can tell you what's on the pins that most likely correspond to the other modification:

K46 on your Multi-Display (Signal, Connector & PIN #, Wire Color):
  • GROUND = K46 PIN 10 = W-B
  • PKB = K46 PIN 23 = Y - W-B
  • SPD = K46 PIN 14 = V - W-B
  • (Provided FYI only): REV = K46 PIN 13 = R - W-B
K47 on your Multi-Display (Signal = Connector & PIN # = Wire Color):
  • Nothing interesting here. This connector contains signals from the voice guidance, the backup camera, DVD image signal and Microphone stuff.
H1 on your Nav ECU & Multi-Display (Signal = Connector & PIN # = Wire Color):
  • GND = H1 PIN 6 = G
  • SPD = H1 PIN 16 = W-B
  • (Provided FYI only): REV = H1 PIN 15 = GR-B
  • Note: There is no PKB signal present on connector H1
Based on this, I think the DVD mod needs to be performed on connector K46, not H1, since H1 carries no parking brake signal. I suspect the procedure is the same, however: Cut PKB on K46 and leave some slack on it. Splice the end going to the connector to GND and cap the end going into the wiring harness. For VSS (if you need this mod as well), simply remove the pin from the connector and insulate it from shorting out (heat shrink works well).

That's what I'd try - but you're on your own for this one.... unless, of course, you want to give me your GS350 so that I can have yet another Lexus in my driveway... "Lexii?"

SonarTech

sonar, a friend tells me that on the latest rx350's, unplugging 1 speed sensor opens up the nav functions and bluetooth while in motion. pin 20. he did it on his. that seems to go against your experience. i've yet to pull mine because i'm working on a touch screen bypass. that make sense to you?

Quick Reply: Tips, Tricks, DIY's, & How-To's