GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Drip Line out of Gas Hinge Panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-06, 11:21 AM
Black Ten
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drip Line out of Gas Hinge Panel

Recently I have noticed a drip line coming from my gas hinge panel. When the gas panel is open, there is a tiny hole at the bottom which I presume is for either overflowing gas and/or water. From this hole, some fluid is dripping. It's not major and rarely noticible. Upon examining this drip line, I have noticed it's not just a water line, but a corrosion line. I assume there is gas coming out of this relief hole and dripping down the side of the fender. While the corrosion is still in it's preliminary stages, I can't seem to get it off with simple polish and it will most likely need to be buffed out. I have also noticed it worsening slightly. Has any one else noticed this? Why would a relief hole in the gas receptacle be placed in such a poor spot? Any suggestions?
Old 05-02-06, 11:31 AM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Black Ten
Recently I have noticed a drip line coming from my gas hinge panel. When the gas panel is open, there is a tiny hole at the bottom which I presume is for either overflowing gas and/or water. From this hole, some fluid is dripping. It's not major and rarely noticible. Upon examining this drip line, I have noticed it's not just a water line, but a corrosion line. I assume there is gas coming out of this relief hole and dripping down the side of the fender. While the corrosion is still in it's preliminary stages, I can't seem to get it off with simple polish and it will most likely need to be buffed out. I have also noticed it worsening slightly. Has any one else noticed this? Why would a relief hole in the gas receptacle be placed in such a poor spot? Any suggestions?

This is funny you bring this up I just got my car a month ago and noticted it day 1 I had the car. I just firgured that they spilled gas before they shipped it and it stained the finish because it sat for 3 months without being washed. However I work for a lexus dealer and I looked at our gs's and sure enough the dark colored ones have the same stain. Lucky mine you really have to be in the rite light to see it. Also when I wash it and spray the polish it drips down that same line. I tryed everything to get it off but it's not coming off. I am going to live with it because it only is noticable if I really look in the rite light. I though I was the only one that noticed this.
Old 05-02-06, 11:36 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a pretty bad design flaw. Every time I wash my car, the area by the gas hinge is problematic. I open the hinge, dry the inside, but there will be fluid streaks after driving the car. It's pretty obvious that fluid is leaking from the tiny hole in the gas hinge.

This has been a problem with my GS from day 1. The drip line is really noticable since my GS is black. It's left a nice little stain that can't be polished out.
Old 05-02-06, 12:14 PM
Eternity3G
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoa.... I keep reminding myself to post something about this and keep forgetting. That ERKS the hell out of me. I always have to wipe it down and wash my hands. The only time it didn't happen was when you don't "double pump" the gas. If you just let it go after the gas pump "clicks", then jimmy it a little before pulling out, it should be ok... I don't know.. Only filled gas 4 times so I haven't tested my theories too many times. And I did notice it from day 1 also.
Old 05-02-06, 06:11 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is strange as I've never experienced it. Have you guys with the stains tried using a claybar to get it off?
Old 05-02-06, 07:56 PM
toyemp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this problem too since I got the car last year. The marks I was getting were basically water spots. I've learned to blow out around and in the filler cap with compressed air after washing the car.

I couldn't get the water spots out with clay or a number of light to heavy polishes with both a PC and a rotary. In the end, I ended up wet-sanding the area. Obviously, not something you want to do unless you know what you are doing and have the proper tools.
Old 05-02-06, 08:19 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

shoulda simonized your car.
Old 05-03-06, 08:03 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I have the same freakin problem on my car, it sucks! Nothing removes it. I tried the clay bar, polish and wax. It will temporarily remove it but you can still see it. This is terrible, I've never seen it before until I got this car.
Old 05-03-06, 03:11 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

I really thought I was the only one with this problem and I never posted it because I firgured I would sound pyscho.
Old 05-03-06, 04:32 PM
jwa
Pole Position

Mine has it as well, but the light and angle have to be right to see it. I didn't notice it until my first wax job.
Old 05-04-06, 08:28 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

I figured out how to remove the oxidation. FYI , a clay bar won't work. I purchased Meguiars Professinal Fine Cut and applied it by hand last night and it removed it really good. After buffing off the fine cut I applied a nice thick coat of Meguiars carnuba wax. However, I should apply a synthetic paint sealant for this application because it will always happen and the paint sealant lasts longer.
Old 05-05-06, 09:27 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same drip line after washing the car.It usualy appears an hour or so after drying,I hate it ! The only good thing is,I don't have any staining.
Old 05-05-06, 10:04 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4thone
I have the same drip line after washing the car.It usualy appears an hour or so after drying,I hate it ! The only good thing is,I don't have any staining.
Same here, it only happens after I wash my car, but it's just water, not gas. I just make sure to dry that area as I'm drying off the rest of my car.
Old 05-05-06, 10:41 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SGT
Same here, it only happens after I wash my car, but it's just water, not gas. I just make sure to dry that area as I'm drying off the rest of my car.
Problem is, even after drying the car, water will leak out of the area the next day. Over time, the "drip line" appears. I never had this problem with my previous GS.
Old 05-05-06, 10:50 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Problem is, even after drying the car, water will leak out of the area the next day. Over time, the "drip line" appears. I never had this problem with my previous GS.
Do you open the gas door and dry it all out?

Quick Reply: Drip Line out of Gas Hinge Panel