GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wheels are on (AWD lowered+staggered)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-06, 10:40 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nardeezy
What wheels do you plan to upgrade to?
I was thinking of mesh wheel or five spoke design.I am waiting for a price for the Zone 3 in the BBC or chrome finish.
Old 04-23-06, 12:54 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

not bad...i used to have 20x8.5 and 20x10 aero's on my 2003 bmw e39 (5 series)...not too bad...
Old 04-23-06, 04:58 AM
1loudLX
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice looking setup, i dig it. How much money did you spend on the full setup(wheels, tires, lowering) if you dont mind me asking?
Old 04-23-06, 05:14 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

They look great
Old 04-23-06, 09:54 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI, stock wheel weight

I weiged my stocks last night and they're approx. 54.8 lbs/ea with tires (Dunlop runflats). I didn't get a chance to weigh the iforged wheels but I'm hoping the cumulative weight is less than the stocks.
Old 04-23-06, 10:05 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

The guys at Motorsport Techniques in Hayward, CA hooked everything up for me. I highly recommend them for any of your modification and/or maintenance needs. If you're in the SF Bay Area and you're looking to upgrade swing by their shop. One good thing about this shop that seperates them from other wheel boutiques is that they have a computerized alignment rack.
Old 05-03-06, 02:32 AM
GSFKN3
Driver School Candidate

Default I got the same offsets....

I'm not dissin your rims, but ****ty yeah "iforged". I got the Iforged Seneka's in 20"s, and have the same lips as you. The front can go another inch!!!!! I was so not satisfied. Especially after spending $4500.
Old 05-03-06, 06:44 AM
pvo
Lead Lap

Nice
Old 05-03-06, 07:49 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GSFKN3
I'm not dissin your rims, but ****ty yeah "iforged". I got the Iforged Seneka's in 20"s, and have the same lips as you. The front can go another inch!!!!! I was so not satisfied. Especially after spending $4500.
$4500, is that with tires? I'm satisfied with my wheels, I actually like the front and rear offsets becasue it makes the rear lip look really fat.
Old 05-08-06, 06:22 AM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

please post more pics and a full side shot ,,,,,,,,,,thanks, looks good
Old 05-08-06, 07:00 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Looks good.
Old 05-09-06, 02:00 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 315 Likes on 193 Posts

Wheels look very nice!!

I could be wrong but I distinctly remember reading that staggerred wheels are NOT to be installed on an AWD car for safety reasons. I am not sure exactly what the technical reason is, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
Old 05-09-06, 05:11 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hameed
Wheels look very nice!!

I could be wrong but I distinctly remember reading that staggerred wheels are NOT to be installed on an AWD car for safety reasons. I am not sure exactly what the technical reason is, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.
Safety reasons, that's a new one? If possible, fill me in. In performing tons of research, many sources indicated it's not good to do a staggered setup on an AWD because it can possibly damage the driveline (in the long run) or trip off the ECU (by cancelling the 4WD for Lexus). These types of errors would be caused by an incorrect tire size (rolling diameter only) between the front and rear. Lexus does not specify what their acceptable tolerance is (% diff) for the front and rear. They don't publish an acceptable tolerance because they don't want you modifying with different aftermarket wheel/tire setups for warranty reasons.

Ideally, AWD vehicles should run the same size tires all around. However, some AWD vehicles are specifically tuned for a staggered setup, typically high performance cars. E.g. Lamorghini Gallardo and the Porsche 4S. Installing a staggered setup on your standard AWD passenger vehicle will not improve the performance, it's only for looks. Actually, with any vehicle that has more contact patch in the rear, you can possibly degrade performace by increasing understeer during hard cornering especially the GS300 AWD. The GS300 AWD is so underpowered that the 70% torque on the rear wheels wouldn't even push the car through a corner, so it might help performance if there's more contact patch in the rear, who knows. Actually, I don't even care.

As for me, I am not planning on taking my GS300 AWD to the track nor do I drive it really hard and aggressive. My car is mainly for luxury and stunning looks. I've always wanted to say "I got that sh_t on DUBS" Quote from Birdman. Granted, by installing those larger wheels and lowering I am getting some rubbing and a little harsher ride which does take away from the luxury but it doesn't bother me. My biggest regret is I should've bought the RWD version but that's another story that I don't even want to get into.
Old 05-09-06, 06:59 PM
blueGS400
Lead Lap

do you get rubbing on the front or the rear, also come on man, let me get some full side shots please if you dont mind,,,,,,,,,thanx, love the car again, really want to see a full side shot though
Old 05-09-06, 11:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Wheels look very nice!!

there was lengthy discussions on this in the tire forum, basically as long as you maintain pretty much the same overall diameter front and back, you are good to go

Quick Reply: Wheels are on (AWD lowered+staggered)