GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-06, 12:16 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering

I see that this is a hot topic now, and I am gonna jump to get the tanabes. However, I see that nardeezy and others used NF-210 to lower their awd, but i recall one had their car much lower than raptor.1 who used DF-210( which is supposed to lower the car more than the nf210. So, this is telling me that in terms of springs and shocks for the Gs430 vs. Gs300 awd, the GS430 is lowered in stock of course than the Gs300 awd and cannot be lowered much more with DF-210, wereby the GS300AWD can drop ALOT with the DF-210, thus NF-210 is perfect for the GS300 AWD or else the shocks will wear out faster.

GS300 AWD lowering is best with NF210,
GS430 lowering is best with DF-210 to bring the wheels closer to the wheel well right???

Is the DF-210 too much lowering for the GS300 AWD? I live in michigan, and the roads are kinda bumby in some places, thus I dont want to hurt my suspension but I want to lower the car just enough so it looks better and low like the stock GS430. So NF210 is perfect for me?

BTW, I have ordered the GS350 AWD for this delivery in September. I dont have a GS yet.
Dave
Old 04-14-06, 01:59 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a hot topic because no aftermarket mfg. has made or spec'd springs for the AWD. Keep in mind in a stock configuration the RWD models sit .5" lower than the AWD model. I'm not sure if it's because of the spring rate or the suspension design. Most likely it's because of the spring rates.

The DF210 will definitely lower the car more and give it that more aggressive look. However, you are going to compromise a harsher ride, increase more negative camber, possibly wear out your shocks faster, and have a higher probability of scraping the lower front bumper when going up and down steep driveways when compared to the NF210's.
Old 04-16-06, 12:13 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Before you take delivery of your GS the aftermarket may have specific designs for AWDs. I wouldn't commit to any one brand design as of now.Nardeezy and myself couldn't wait and in both cases went with the NF-210's.I think the resuts for my car are quite satisfying.
Attached Thumbnails Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering-dsc00009.jpg  
Old 04-16-06, 12:33 AM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nardeezy
It's a hot topic because no aftermarket mfg. has made or spec'd springs for the AWD. Keep in mind in a stock configuration the RWD models sit .5" lower than the AWD model. I'm not sure if it's because of the spring rate or the suspension design. Most likely it's because of the spring rates.

The DF210 will definitely lower the car more and give it that more aggressive look. However, you are going to compromise a harsher ride, increase more negative camber, possibly wear out your shocks faster, and have a higher probability of scraping the lower front bumper when going up and down steep driveways when compared to the NF210's.

Yes all of this is true since you can't seem to get a camber kit for the Lexus GS? For the 430 the DF's made the camber off 1 degree, now if nardeezy is right about the 5 " difference then this starts to really become a problem for the AWD. The DF's on an AWD would throw it out "at least" 3 to 4 degrees. This can really tear up your car over time. For my situation, yeah I will loose 5000 miles on my tires and the ride or feel of the drive is not as floaty as stock but surprisinly it isn't bad either. Still smooth as snot just as long as I am aware of where I'm driving at all times. I can't believe there is still no camber kit for the GS!
Old 04-17-06, 07:08 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

From the repair manuals it looks like there is a camber adjustment for the front and rear suspension on the 06 GS. There may not be that much of an adjustment but you can adjust the camber. When I get home I'll scan it and post.
Old 04-17-06, 08:41 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Camber adjustment

Yes Nardeezy, it would be great if you can show us how to adjust the camber. Thanks!
Old 04-21-06, 11:38 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Yes Nardeezy, it would be great if you can show us how to adjust the camber. Thanks!
Sorry so late, here's attachment 1/3 (front wheel)
Attached Thumbnails Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering-front-alignment-3_1-web-.jpg  
Old 04-21-06, 11:39 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nardeezy
From the repair manuals it looks like there is a camber adjustment for the front and rear suspension on the 06 GS. There may not be that much of an adjustment but you can adjust the camber. When I get home I'll scan it and post.
attachment 2/3
Attached Thumbnails Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering-front-alignment-3_2-web-.jpg  
Old 04-21-06, 11:40 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

attachment 3/3
Attached Thumbnails Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering-front-alignment-3_3-web-.jpg  
Old 04-21-06, 11:46 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

attachment 1/2 (rear wheel)
Attached Thumbnails Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering-rear-alignment-1-web-.jpg  
Old 04-21-06, 11:47 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

rear alignment 2/2
Attached Thumbnails Clarification about GS300 AWD Lowering-rear-alignment-2-web-.jpg  
Old 04-22-06, 07:47 AM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow good job !
During my install I did notice a camber adjust for the rear but not the front.
Thanks for all the investigating
Old 04-22-06, 07:50 AM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 4thone
Wow good job !
During my install I did notice a camber adjust for the rear but not the front.
Thanks for all the investigating
No prob, that;'s why we're all here. BTW, I was talking to an Audi Quattro owner who does autocross and he was recommending some ideal AWD alignment spec's for optimal tire wear and performance.
Old 04-18-08, 09:28 AM
GryPhantom
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, I know this is a very old thread but I have a question on the illustration above. I just replaced my tires, balanced and aligned my tires for my 07 GS350. I got it done at the Lexus Dearlership. However, my techincian came up to ask me if the car was dropped and had some issues with my negative camber. He said that he could not get rid of it because all GS are made to max out on the camber and having the car drop will create problems with my tire wear. Since I had this problem, I searched on this site and found this thread. I am figuring this is a only for a AWD instead of RWD. If this illustration work for RWD, please give me a shout. If not, anyone has any information on the camber kit for a 07 GS350. I hate to replace my tires every 10k-15k miles. This will cost alot of money. The technician said to flip my tires around and balance and align it so that i can get the most out of the tires. Yeah right~ Like thats not going to cost me. Anyways, if anyone has any idea how we can get rid of this problem, please holla.
Old 04-20-08, 08:16 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GryPhantom
Hey guys, I know this is a very old thread but I have a question on the illustration above. I just replaced my tires, balanced and aligned my tires for my 07 GS350. I got it done at the Lexus Dearlership. However, my techincian came up to ask me if the car was dropped and had some issues with my negative camber. He said that he could not get rid of it because all GS are made to max out on the camber and having the car drop will create problems with my tire wear. Since I had this problem, I searched on this site and found this thread. I am figuring this is a only for a AWD instead of RWD. If this illustration work for RWD, please give me a shout. If not, anyone has any information on the camber kit for a 07 GS350. I hate to replace my tires every 10k-15k miles. This will cost alot of money. The technician said to flip my tires around and balance and align it so that i can get the most out of the tires. Yeah right~ Like thats not going to cost me. Anyways, if anyone has any idea how we can get rid of this problem, please holla.
The illustrations that I posted a while back are spec'd out for the 2006 GS300 AWD. It should be compatible with a GS350 but will definitely differ with a RWD. The biggest tire wear issue I have is cupping. I'm not too concerned about the negative camber in the back but the cupping seems to be worse. It causes more road noise and ride dis-comfort. I have approx. 7000-8000 miles on the same 20" wheels/tires. Most of the technician's I received feedback from said it was due to either balancing, tire pressure and alignment (toe).