GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Are you happy with your purchase with the GS300?
Yes, I would do it again in a heartbeat
55.00%
Yes, but I would rather have waited for the GS350
31.00%
No, I regret my purchase
14.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

To all 2006 GS300 owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-06, 10:29 AM
tmr mc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To all 2006 GS300 owners

I'm looking to buy a 2006 GS300 and wanted to know how all the recent buyers for 2006 GS3 owners felt about their car. I have read issues about rattling noise issues, transmission/engine problems, etc... but wanted to know if these concerns are only to an unlucky few or reflective of the all the 2006 GS300 buyers?

Are you guys overall happy with the purchase of your cars? Any regrets?

I'm debating whether or not to get the 2006 GS300 or wait for the GS350 to come out but the fact that I could get a good deal from dealers on the GS300 is one motivating factor. Would appreciate your inputs...

FYI I'm looking to get a fully loaded blue onyx GS300 with black interior
Old 03-21-06, 12:14 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CL.

I have nothing but good things to say about it. No complaints, aside from the minor squeaking from the windshield (which only seems to occur when the temperature drops below 30F) and a barely noticeable rattle from the rear door panel, both which can be fixed easily by the dealer. I'm completely satisfied with this car, but of course I would have taken the GS350 AWD had it been out the same time I got this. The 245 HP is more than enough for me, but I'll gladly take the 300+ HP of the GS350, along with the Gen5 navigation. I'll be sticking with my GS300 for many years; I'd say probably 8-10, and then see what Lexus is offering at that time. It handles great in the snow, even with my 18" wheels and low profile tires. I've driven through 12" of snow and it got by fine. Never got stuck in the snow once. Toss some winter tires on 17's and you'll feel like you're on rails. The ML sound system is amazing and blows other car audio systems away. I just wish it came with illuminated scuff plates like the RX and IS.

Blue Onyx Pearl/Black... great color combo!
Old 03-21-06, 12:23 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

i say wait for the 350 , you'd really use the extra power later on , just my 2 cents
Old 03-21-06, 01:17 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kinda depends on what you're looking for, but one of the things I like most about the 300 is the amazing fuel economy on it. The IS350 isn't quite as fuel efficient as the GS300 is, so I'm thinking the bigger car might get worse. We'll see though.

As far as the rest of the car goes, I have 0 complaints.
Old 03-21-06, 01:35 PM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

I'm very happy with my GS300. The few things wrong with it were very, very minor. I enjoy the car more and more every time I drive it. I think the people here with a few rattles (me included) were the early adopters of the 3GS.

My biggest complaint: I wish it had an interior dome light in addition to the LED pinpoint lights, which are very cool. I also wish the car didn't have the hard riding Dunlop runflats, but those will wear out. Not much to complain about!
Old 03-21-06, 02:09 PM
tmr mc
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses!!!!... I'm glad to hear most users are happy with their purchase... would rather choose the GS300 due to the price decrease once the 350 hits and the great mileage it gets (I'm in CA and don't have a real need for AWD or to race or anything since I'm usually stuck in bumper to bumper)...

The 350 seems more ideal cuz it will have the Gen 5 nav and the mp3 player but since it will retain the same look i don't really know if i want to pay msrp for it once it comes out and have a worse mpg than the 300... 245hp doesn't sound like much but i don't really think i will need all that extra horsepower.... i would rather get the GS hybrid but i think it might be a little too pricey fully loaded with no discounts since it will be limited production

i'm hoping to get a fully loaded gs300 for around invoice prices in socal... anybody in socal looking to buy one in the next 2-4 months? maybe we can get a deal together if we buy at the same time.....
Old 03-21-06, 04:49 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

I have had a few rattles here and there (which the dealer has since resolved) but overall still very happy with the car!
Old 03-21-06, 04:51 PM
mickey99us
Rookie

im very happy with my 06 no problems so far what so ever
Old 03-21-06, 06:02 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

I wish i can come up with something to complain about the car but really even if i try hard the only thing that comes to mind is that i wish it had a MP3 hookup. The car is awsome!

But it kinda sux that they are coming out with the 350 in fall
Old 03-21-06, 06:50 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a few rattles and they are now gone.I love the car ,no complaints.I wish Lexus would have put the 3.5 in to start with(my only complaint).
Old 03-21-06, 07:00 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also had a few rattles, but now I am very happy with the car also.

Without AWD, the GS should have more than enough power.
To be honest with you, I also thought about waiting, but no body
changes plus it's still a V6, so I am not enthused enough about the
GS350 to make a switch.

I can have enough fun for 3-4 years with this car and then get my V8.
That is if we haven't run out of oil by then
Old 03-21-06, 07:59 PM
bearbrick
Driver School Candidate

the GS is a solidly built car. You actually do feel luxurious interior suurounding you unlike the G35 I used to have. Tons of techy features to keep you wowing...!!!~ The only problems I noticed were the lack of serious headroom (feels like I'm in my G), VERY dim steering wheel control switches at night and the drifting to the left issue. Also, I feel very cramped inside I am 6' 1". I also wish the trunk opening was bigger. Anyone know why the engine makes such harsh noise on the outside while idling?

Thanks,
Old 03-21-06, 09:42 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bearbrick
the GS is a solidly built car. You actually do feel luxurious interior suurounding you unlike the G35 I used to have. Tons of techy features to keep you wowing...!!!~ The only problems I noticed were the lack of serious headroom (feels like I'm in my G), VERY dim steering wheel control switches at night and the drifting to the left issue. Also, I feel very cramped inside I am 6' 1". I also wish the trunk opening was bigger. Anyone know why the engine makes such harsh noise on the outside while idling?

Thanks,
Good points. It can be hard to see both inside and outside at night
with this car. Serious defect IMO

The harsh noise is probably due to direct injection pumps. It has been
discussed in other threads and is quite annoying as well.

Other than this I like this car.
Old 03-22-06, 04:36 AM
LexuZ
Driver School Candidate

Will it ??
Originally Posted by tmr mc

The 350 seems more ideal cuz it will have the Gen 5 nav and the mp3 player .....
Old 03-22-06, 05:05 AM
yon
Driver

Originally Posted by tmr mc
I'm looking to buy a 2006 GS300 and wanted to know how all the recent buyers for 2006 GS3 owners felt about their car. I have read issues about rattling noise issues, transmission/engine problems, etc... but wanted to know if these concerns are only to an unlucky few or reflective of the all the 2006 GS300 buyers?

Are you guys overall happy with the purchase of your cars? Any regrets?

I'm debating whether or not to get the 2006 GS300 or wait for the GS350 to come out but the fact that I could get a good deal from dealers on the GS300 is one motivating factor. Would appreciate your inputs...

FYI I'm looking to get a fully loaded blue onyx GS300 with black interior
Nice choice of color.

No problems other than a rattle that was easily fixed. The 17" Dunlops on the AWD exceeded my expectations for snow handling.

As for the 350, my opinion is that unless the extra horses are also matched by extra low-end torque, it wouldn't be worth the wait just for the power upgrade. I don't find my GS3 lacking in power once you get into the power band, but the boosters don't really ignite until 3500 RPM or so. On the other hand, I'm not a "drive it like you stole it" kinda guy, and the GS3 is a huge improvement in handling and power over my 02 ES300.

My biggest issue with the 350 coming out is the depreciation hit I'll take. But even that is mitigated by the fact that I got my GS3 for invoice, and that won't be happening on the 350's until at least this time next year. And new-model depreciation thump is to going happen eventually anyway---it just sux when it's in the first 12 months you own the car.

I'm sure I'll pine for the Gen-5 Nav and any other upgraded toys in the 350 though...

Quick Reply: To all 2006 GS300 owners