GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Changing running lights and fog lights with blue bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-06, 07:44 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thone
Now these are not the lights that cone on duing the day.I replaced those with 9005 silverstars.The day lights are still yellowish but my brights are much better.
Heres a pic.
Heres a pic with the head light and park or running light.
Attached Thumbnails Changing running lights and fog lights with blue bulbs?-dsc00015.jpg  
Old 03-06-06, 08:33 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so u replaced the drl's only?
or the headlight bulb..?
how easy was the replacement..
Old 03-06-06, 08:37 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

I call these the running lights or parking lights.They come on when your main lights are on or when your parking lights are on.I think the bulb is a 194.I replaced with a small LED.
where did u purchase these
Old 03-06-06, 10:37 PM
Raptor.1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call these the running lights or parking lights.They come on when your main lights are on or when your parking lights are on.I think the bulb is a 194.I replaced with a small LED.

Where did you get your LED's? It looks like you got the color blue, am I right?
Old 03-07-06, 09:10 PM
4thone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mkim1120
so u replaced the drl's only?
or the headlight bulb..?
how easy was the replacement..
I replaced the drl's with Silverstar 9005st .The smaller bulb (a 194) I replaced with a white led that gives it that blueish tint.If you notice your interior lights have a blueish tint,those are leds.Both bulbs are located in the drl's housing and are easy to get to once you take the black engine covers off.
I found the leds at a small install shop in my area.
Old 03-07-06, 09:28 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

I replaced the drl's with Silverstar 9005st .The smaller bulb (a 194) I replaced with a white led that gives it that blueish tint.If you notice your interior lights have a blueish tint,those are leds.Both bulbs are located in the drl's housing and are easy to get to once you take the black engine covers off.
I found the leds at a small install shop in my area.
did nothing to the main hids corrrect?
Old 03-08-06, 04:01 PM
drck1000
Driver

So the DRL replacement is 9005 and the parking light is 194.

What is the replacement for the fog light? Is it 9005 or some other bulb?

Thanks
Old 03-08-06, 09:29 PM
4thone
Intermediate

No i haven't done anything to HIDs.
I haven't gotten into the fogs yet,I can't figure out how to get to them.I need to investigate further.
I think the drls will look yellowish wih any bub because of the low wattage being fed to it.
Old 03-09-06, 06:31 AM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No i haven't done anything to HIDs.
I haven't gotten into the fogs yet,I can't figure out how to get to them.I need to investigate further.
I think the drls will look yellowish wih any bub because of the low wattage being fed to it.
To get to the fogs you're gonna have to take off the bumper.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...3&page=5&pp=15
Old 03-09-06, 09:38 AM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
To get to the fogs you're gonna have to take off the bumper.
That sucks that you would need to take off the bumper to get at the fogs. I talked with my salesperson yesterday and he said that the service tech could do it for me at no charge when they replace my rotors and I just need to bring in the bulbs.

I was just about to place an order for replacement bulbs for the DRLs, the LEDs and the fogs. Perhaps I will just get the LEDs now since they are only like $10 and the DRLs appear yellowish even with the Silverstars. I was going to try some PIAA bulbs, but I guess no sense having nice and bright DRL's huh (since from 4thone's post it seems like they only help with the high beams).
Old 03-09-06, 11:57 AM
ferrarilon
Rookie

I replace my running light with White LEDs... I got a pair for 25 dollars
If you just get regular bulb that is white... it should cost less than 10 dollars
Old 03-09-06, 04:08 PM
drck1000
Driver

[QUOTE=SGT]To get to the fogs you're gonna have to take off the bumper.

[QUOTE]

SGT - In the thread that you referenced, the poster was replacing the entire fog light housing to install an HID fog light. Is that really required just to switch out the bulb for the stock fog light? I haven't had a chance to look around the fog light yet. If it's the case that the bumper needs to be removed, then I'll probably just replace the parking LED with a white LED to get a whiter light for driving at night.
Old 03-09-06, 04:14 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drck1000
SGT - In the thread that you referenced, the poster was replacing the entire fog light housing to install an HID fog light. Is that really required just to switch out the bulb for the stock fog light? I haven't had a chance to look around the fog light yet. If it's the case that the bumper needs to be removed, then I'll probably just replace the parking LED with a white LED to get a whiter light for driving at night.
That's a good question. I'm not positive on that, so you may want to check it out before removing the entire bumper if that can be avoided. If you find out, let us know.
Old 03-09-06, 04:31 PM
drck1000
Driver

Originally Posted by SGT
That's a good question. I'm not positive on that, so you may want to check it out before removing the entire bumper if that can be avoided. If you find out, let us know.
Definitely not going to do anything myself it if involves removing the bumper! I used to have PIAA's in my old 4Runner. It was even a pain to switch out those H4 bulbs! Stupid wire lock on the bulb housing and a rubber cover.

I'll poke around this weekend when I have some time and it's not raining out (only covered carport). The Lexus service tech also offered to do it for free when I take my car back in about a week or so, so I probably will just purchase the bulbs and have them do it. Thinking about just switching out the bulbs for the fogs and the parking light and leaving the DRL as is.

BTW, let us know if they do anything for the rattles in your 5K service. I think the rattle that I thought was in the door may be the glove compartment. I tried opening it when I hear the rattle/noise and it stops. I hope that's it and they don't have to take apart he dash!
Old 03-09-06, 04:49 PM
SGT
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drck1000
Definitely not going to do anything myself it if involves removing the bumper! I used to have PIAA's in my old 4Runner. It was even a pain to switch out those H4 bulbs! Stupid wire lock on the bulb housing and a rubber cover.

I'll poke around this weekend when I have some time and it's not raining out (only covered carport). The Lexus service tech also offered to do it for free when I take my car back in about a week or so, so I probably will just purchase the bulbs and have them do it. Thinking about just switching out the bulbs for the fogs and the parking light and leaving the DRL as is.

BTW, let us know if they do anything for the rattles in your 5K service. I think the rattle that I thought was in the door may be the glove compartment. I tried opening it when I hear the rattle/noise and it stops. I hope that's it and they don't have to take apart he dash!
I'd better take out all the stuff I have in the glove compartment then. I'll let you know how it goes. Taking it in 8:30am.

Quick Reply: Changing running lights and fog lights with blue bulbs?