GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

OEM Lexus HID/LED Fog Lights from Luis @ Carson Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-06, 08:19 PM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SO I am assuming the 3GS foglight process is much more intense than the 2GS? The 2GS, you uncrew 2 screws in the front and voila, you have the fog in your hand.

Maybe try going behind the plastic under the front wheelwell and see if there are screws there to take the lamp out.

I just can't see Lexus making a fog a high labor item.
According to the Japanese instructions, the bumper has to come off as well as a bunch of the interior dash panels and the center console. I'm gonna wait for the English translations. And, the instructions show install on right hand drive model. Don't know how much of a difference it will make for he install though.
Old 02-21-06, 03:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
SO I am assuming the 3GS foglight process is much more intense than the 2GS? The 2GS, you uncrew 2 screws in the front and voila, you have the fog in your hand.

Maybe try going behind the plastic under the front wheelwell and see if there are screws there to take the lamp out.

I just can't see Lexus making a fog a high labor item.
oh mike, try to go and take a look at the sc430 foglights. just changing the bulb is already a PITA
Old 02-21-06, 11:32 AM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Went to the dealer today to see how much they would charge for the install just becasue I have been so busy, they said 5 hours, $800.00. OMG!!! What a rip.

I will do the install when the weather gets better.
Old 02-21-06, 02:01 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKashat
Went to the dealer today to see how much they would charge for the install just becasue I have been so busy, they said 5 hours, $800.00. OMG!!! What a rip.

Got to love dealership labor rates Good luck on the install.
Old 02-21-06, 05:14 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by INHOCJP
Got to love dealership labor rates Good luck on the install.
you mean dealership rapes?
Old 02-22-06, 08:11 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JKashat

what dealer did you go to?...they give different prices at different dealers.

CEO
Old 02-25-06, 08:13 AM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Default Update

Started the install on Friday at 6pm.

PROGRESS:

Removed the Bumper cover, the bumper support, and the engine bay covers.
-Bumper cover removes fairly easily after removing clips and a couple of bolts.
-Japanese directions don't show removing fender liners, but we did. It made it easier.

Removed the factory fog lights from the bumper and installed the HID/LED lights.
-Factory fog lights are held onto bumper with one bolt and two nipples that pop into two holes.
-New HID/LED lights are a lot bigger and heavier, and use additional supplied brackets.

Mounted the Left and Right ballasts with the supplied brackets behind the bumper support.
-The ballast are the same but have side specific brackets.
-Ballasts mount on both sides of the metal bumper support behind it.

Took apart all the required interior panels on the interior to wire up the harness for the DRL switch.
-This proved to be a bigger pain than I thought it would be...

PROBLEMS:

1. After removing the shift ****, center console around the shift ****, underdash panels and side panels around the dash... basicly everything around the dash except for the radio/nav unit, we started looking for the plug where the DRL harness was supposed to plug into.
-THIS PLUG WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!!

2. We decided to move on for the moment and start to wire up the other harness that connects the HID's and the ballasts to the vehicle harness and battery.
-Again, THIS PLUG WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!!

TESTING:

We knew that the two harnesses only controlled the DRL's, so we decided to reconnect the battery and test it out with the bumper on the ground in front of the car.
-The HID's work with the OEM switch, turning on and off just like normal. Nice and bright.

The harness that is supposed to plug in under the hood is only a one wire that would trigger the LED's for the DRL so we triggered them off the factory DRL wire.
-They turned on, and looked sweet.

SUMMARY (SO FAR):

We can get it all to work except for the DRL switch. The two harness are not completely "Plug and Play", unless we are just plain stupid, but I don't think so. We are going to finish routing the harness and temporarily tap into the factory DRL to trigger the LED's. I'm gonna try and contact Luis or Steve at Carson with my issues and hopefully they will be able to help. I think that two new harnesses are needed.

Luis or Steve, if you see this, please call me at 248-535-4333 ASAP for help.
Thanks,
Jeff

Pictures have been taken, but left the camera at the shop with the car. So, they are coming soon.
Old 02-26-06, 02:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hey thanks for the detailed update, JK. if you don't mind, couple of quick questions (trying to understand how it supposed to work)

1) from the picture, it looks like there is a new switch that says "DRL", what is it for?

2) i am confused, you said you have to somehow tap the led part of the fogs to the DRL harness off the car, do you mean that if successfully done, what happens is during the day when the DRL is on, the led on the foglight area will be on as well? now if that's the case, why do you still have that DRL button?

3) where do you mount that DRL button (there is a preset location for it already?)?

4) in your second problem you said you couldn't find the plug to plug the ballast to battery? but then you said you connect the battery and the foglights work? basically i am trying to understand what the second harness is for. seems like at this point, the hid fogs are all connected already, and you can control it with the foglight switch. the only problem is the led (DRL part)?

5) so far, did you have to cut / connect any wires? or everything has been plug and play so far?

6) did you have to change out any fuse for the foglights?

thanks man, and good luck on the install, i can't wait to see final pics!
Old 02-26-06, 07:48 AM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
hey thanks for the detailed update, JK. if you don't mind, couple of quick questions (trying to understand how it supposed to work)

1) from the picture, it looks like there is a new switch that says "DRL", what is it for?

2) i am confused, you said you have to somehow tap the led part of the fogs to the DRL harness off the car, do you mean that if successfully done, what happens is during the day when the DRL is on, the led on the foglight area will be on as well? now if that's the case, why do you still have that DRL button?

3) where do you mount that DRL button (there is a preset location for it already?)?

4) in your second problem you said you couldn't find the plug to plug the ballast to battery? but then you said you connect the battery and the foglights work? basically i am trying to understand what the second harness is for. seems like at this point, the hid fogs are all connected already, and you can control it with the foglight switch. the only problem is the led (DRL part)?

5) so far, did you have to cut / connect any wires? or everything has been plug and play so far?

6) did you have to change out any fuse for the foglights?

thanks man, and good luck on the install, i can't wait to see final pics!
The DRL switch was not used. There was supposed to be a unused plug where the DRL harness would plug into and then route across the dash, but this unused plug was nowhere to be found.

The harness under the hood connects the HIDs to the ballasts, connects to Pos. & Neg. battery terminals,connects to factory fog light harness, and is supposed to connect to another unused harness under the hood. This is the other harness that was nowhere to be found.

Basicly the harness has seperate parts for the HID and LED that are loomed together. I was able to completely hook up the HID portion and tapped the harness that had no home under the hood to the factory DRL/High Beam bulb wire.

I didn't end up mounting the DRL button because there was nowhere to connect the switch and the button requires cutting a hole on the panel under the steering wheel.

The HID portion is complete and working correctly with the factory fog light control, this portion of the harness was "Plug and Play". The harness under the hood that had nowhere to plug in is a one wire harness and I believe would just hook up to the other end to control the DRL button to turn them on and off.

As of now, I have no control of the LED DRL, when the OEM DRL's are on the LEDs are on but at a lower voltage. At night when the OEM DRL's turn off the HID fog lights turn on. Because I tapped into the OEM DRL/High Beam, when I put the high beams on the LEDs turn on as well.

No fuses had to be changed out or anything like that.
Old 02-26-06, 12:39 PM
LexFather

Hey Lexus, how about making this standard

Dude, much props to you for being the first and sharing yoru experience with us. I am sure it will be WELL worth the trouble
Old 02-26-06, 02:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah gotcha JK, thanks for the explanation. so basically you want to connect the led to the DRL coz' you gave up on the DRL button and want it to just go with the normal DRL huh? that's interesting, and i think that's a pretty good idea, except that during the day the led are not as bright as they should be, i suppose?

so for the hid fogs, you basically had to do some custom wiring to get them connected to the battery and such, coz' the supposedly already insider the car harness couldn't be found? sounds like a lot of work.

man, with all the wirings and harness you show in the pics, i thought you would have all teh necesary stuff already to make it pretty much plug and play..
Old 02-26-06, 02:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

also, i have an idea, not sure if it will fly. in the high beam housing, there is the highbeam/drl bulb (9005 i think?) right? you connect it through that now, and so when DRL is on, the led is on slightly. when you do high beam, the led will be on as well

how about connect it with the small bulb inside the high beam housing? that's the bulb that will light up with your headlights (or if you turn the light to parking light settings (first click). that way at night when headlights are on, those led would be on as well. or it doesn't make sense coz' the fogs would be so bright already?
Old 02-26-06, 09:33 PM
JKashat
Lead Lap

Tried hooking up the LED to the little bulb in the high beam housing originally, LEDs didn't turn on during the day, and both the HID/LEDs were on at night. It didn't look right.
Old 02-26-06, 10:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah gotcha, i can understand. so any further experiments to be done? this looks interesting

and that DRL btton it looks pretty darn big. i wonder if it goes somewhere in the center console (right by the armrest once you pull it backward)?
Old 02-27-06, 01:17 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
ah gotcha, i can understand. so any further experiments to be done? this looks interesting

and that DRL btton it looks pretty darn big. i wonder if it goes somewhere in the center console (right by the armrest once you pull it backward)?
Looks like someone is doing the homework of what's to come.....

Quick Reply: OEM Lexus HID/LED Fog Lights from Luis @ Carson Toyota