GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

DIY Sirius Satellite Installation

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-05, 05:32 AM
robik
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Sirius Satellite Installation

Emboldened by various DIY projects I read about here (and on us.lexusownersclub.com), and also finding the instructions for this online (that weren't TOO daunting), I successfully installed Sirius satellite radio in my 06 GS300 yesterday. It took me 2.5 - 3 hours, saved me around $300-400 in installation costs from the dealer, and was actually quite fun to do. I also learned some things about my car.

I purchased both the Sirius receiver as well as the "Fit Kit" (which contains important pieces such as the antenna, as well as foam tape, cable ties, a screw, and other items of interest) for $414 including tax.

You can ask your dealer to print out the directions from their "Toyota Information System". The instructions are exceptionally clear and well-written (even for a techie who has never undertaken a project like this on a car before).

What was the hardest part? I'd say there were two: 1) wrestling the right side trunk interior out of the car (I was worried about permanently creasing or damaging it - it's actually very resilient and goes right back into place when it's re-installed). 2) climbing in and out of the trunk, head first on my back, to get in the right position to be able to install the satellite receiver and still use both hands. The neighbors took great delight in watching that part, and the labradors (more about them in a moment) thought either this was a new game, or that I needed rescuing. It's hard to tell which is which with labradors.

Major steps to the project were: disconnect the battery and remove the needed pieces of interior trim & trunk mats/side piece; install the antenna on the windshield (mounted to the windshield, just to the right of the rear-view mirror); route the antenna cable down the front right pillar, along the front and rear door sills (surprisingly easy to remove, yet they snap securely right back into place), up though a pre-existing grommet behind the right rear passenger seat and into the trunk; install the satellite receiver box in the trunk; cable the receiver to the amp already installed in the trunk (very straightforward and the cable is well-designed to go in only the right way); do an initial test; reinstall all the trim and trunk side piece; reconnect the battery; activate the satellite receiver with Sirius; reprogram your radio stations, seat positions, etc. (lost since the battery was disconnected); and finally recalibrate the power windows and sunroof.

The last part about recalibrating the windows was a surprise for me - I initially thought I had broken something since the driver's window controls did not work (except for the driver's window). Reading the Lexus manual (eventually), I learned that after the battery has been disconnected, one needs to put each window half-way down then all the way up and hold the control up for 1 second. That resets the jam detector (I think) and all works fine again. This needs to be done for the sunroof as well. In diagnosing this problem, I did manage to find where all the fuse boxes were.

So ... I'm ready for a long road trip with one of my labradors (guide dog in training; my partner and I raise them - visit http://www.guidedog.org for more info) from Texas to Indiana for a board meeting at my alma mater and some customer calls.

And now this guide dog (like both previous ones did in Sirius-equipped rentals) can learn all the words to Broadway showtunes (Channel 77) - keeping her interested by changing some of the words (as I sing along) to make them feature labradors and other animals. "Oklahamster", "My Fair Labby", and "Dreamsquirrels" seem to be their favorites. Or at least mine.

Rob
Old 10-20-05, 11:15 PM
biglexgs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I noticed after installing the Sirius Tuner,

If you loose reception like going under bridges or in a garage, turn your volume all the way up. You can notice a whiney sound coming from the speakers when you rev your engine. I went to the dealer and they told me all their cars are doing it. They notified Lexus Corp. and will have to wait anywhere from 7 to 30 days for a troubleshoot.

Please let me know if you have the same problem,