GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Initialized TPMS, low tire warning still on

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 06:06 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Initialized TPMS, low tire warning still on

Hey guys. 2006 GS 430. Last night my TPMS indicator went off. I checked my tires this morning and all tires were at 27 psi, which is a little low. It's probably because of the cold weather that came in last night. Anyway, I filled all four tires up to 33 PSI expecting the warning to go away, and it did not.I've been trying to re-initialize the sensors with the reset button under the dash. I've done it probably four or five times and the warning light still remains. I've tried it with the ignition on, holding the button for three seconds while the warning light blinks 3 times, and I've also tried it with the engine on doing the same thing. Light still on.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 09-23-18, 07:13 PM
TS85
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you drive around a bit after you filled it back up?
Old 09-23-18, 07:25 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Yes. I did that right after I filled the tires before I started messing with the reinitializing process.
Old 09-23-18, 07:55 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

It could be that one of the sensor battery is dead.
Old 09-23-18, 08:28 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MX73
It could be that one of the sensor battery is dead.
It could be that, but the timing seems strange in that it was the first relatively cold night last night, my car was parked outside for several hours, and all 4 tires were relatively low at 27 psi. I feel like the sensors were working correctly in this situation, and not going off because of a bad battery.
Old 09-23-18, 09:20 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

A decent tire shop can test your TPMS in just 10 minutes. If a battery is faulty you can order one from E bay.
Old 09-24-18, 05:09 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Propulsion
A decent tire shop can test your TPMS in just 10 minutes. If a battery is faulty you can order one from E bay.
Just cutoois, how do they test for that without taking the tire off the wheel?
Old 09-24-18, 08:59 AM
Propulsion
Advanced

It’s magic.

J/k :-) They have the proper tools to perform the tests without removing the tires. Months ago I had mine checked after the TPMS light would not go off. They checked and told me the readings indicate the batteries are functioning properly yet the light still would not go off. I was stumped, so I tried resetting by pressing the button under the dash once more. To my surprise it worked. Not sure why the sensor light was on but at the very least I didn’t have to buy new sensor batteries.
Old 09-24-18, 09:23 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Propulsion
It’s magic.

J/k :-) They have the proper tools to perform the tests without removing the tires. Months ago I had mine checked after the TPMS light would not go off. They checked and told me the readings indicate the batteries are functioning properly yet the light still would not go off. I was stumped, so I tried resetting by pressing the button under the dash once more. To my surprise it worked. Not sure why the sensor light was on but at the very least I didn’t have to buy new sensor batteries.
Wow, so you tried multiple times to reset the sensors without any luck and then a few weeks later you tried again and it worked? Did you do anything differently? Can you walk me through the steps you took?

Here's what I did. With the car off, I applied the emergency brake. I then turned the ignition on, but didn't start the car, then held the reset button for about 3 seconds. The light blinked 3 times and then I waited for a about 10 minutes. Nothing. I repeated the above procedure a second time but this time I started the car and drove around. Still no change.
Old 09-24-18, 01:17 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Originally Posted by e-man
Here's what I did. With the car off, I applied the emergency brake. I then turned the ignition on, but didn't start the car, then held the reset button for about 3 seconds. The light blinked 3 times and then I waited for a about 10 minutes. Nothing. I repeated the above procedure a second time but this time I started the car and drove around. Still no change.

I tried exact same method several times before finally going to the Tire Shop. I’m afraid my success was more luck than anything else but I’ll walk you through the events.

1. Last year I decided I wanted to upgrade my OEM 17 inch stock wheels to the 18 inch OEM stock wheels. I found said wheels on E bay for a bargain price. I also purchased a set of 4 TPMS sensors for these new wheels because I wanted to keep the old 17s intact for a possible sale later (or to switch back if the new 18s presented a problem).

2. Had new 18 inch wheels mounted along with TPMS sensors and the purchase of brand new all season tires by professional Tire shop. Car looked fantastic and drove smoothly without any TPMS issues.

3. One week after the install I noticed the TPMS light on. I tried all of the steps you tried above with no luck. I immediately thought one of the sensors I bought from E Bay was faulty. Didn’t have time to take it back to the tire shop right away because of work related travel and a hectic schedule, the sensor light was on for more than six weeks.

4. By week seven, my nephew decides to take my car for a spin without my permission and hits a curve thus destroying the tire.

5. After returning home from out of town I have no choice but to take the car back to the shop to purchase a new tire. After the tire is mounted I ask the service adviser to test all TPMS sensors. He did so free of charge and told me all sensors gave back positive readings yet the light remained on.

6. After leaving the shop I decide to try the reset button under the dash once again. To my surprise it finally worked. I can’t understand it, but it worked. I simply pressed the button. Didn’t bother with the other steps this time because I didn’t think it would work.

Unfortunately I doubt this long story will help you, but having the sensors tested will at least eliminate the possibility one of the sensors being faulty..

Last edited by Propulsion; 09-24-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 03:47 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Great story. Thanks for walking me through it. I'll try again tonight when I get off the train. I'm not going to bother with the emergency brake. I think the manual tells you to apply the emergency brake whenever you're doing anything to the car.
Old 09-25-18, 11:17 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Quick update. Checked the spare last night and it was low. Added air. Reset sensors. Light still on. Ugh