GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check Engine Light - Check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-10, 06:22 AM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light Check VSC

Originally Posted by RPete
Hello, I have a 1998 GS 300. About 3 days ago the check engine light came on, but nothing seemed to be wrong other than 1st and 2nd gears had a hesitation when they changed. But last night the car hit 200K miles and this morning I was driving it and it started hesitating really badly in 1st gear; when I push the gas the car doesn't move or build up any RPM unless I slam the pedal down all the way it goes a little bit. So I had to just park it because it won't drive over about 20 MPH. Immediately when this happened I noticed the VSC off and VSC lights illuminate along with the check engine light that had already been lit. I think it may be a transmission issue but am unsure.
Im having this issue with my car now, Did You ever figure out what was wrong with your car?
Old 12-18-10, 07:23 AM
kdouglas39
Rookie

Default Check Engine Light -Check VSC

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
easy fix clean your MAF sensor i had the same problem nothing a 150$ obd2 reader cant solve. My maf on the air filter was so dirt filled from all the dust and car exhaust from trucks as soon as i cleaned it and put in a K&N filter to get rid of the old oem garbage filter it clearned on its own.

so check:

air box/sensor
vacuum lines coming off the intake
intake filter
also check the connections from on the brake u may have knocked one loose
-the.kw.c...I'm seeing this same issue with my 2006 GS. its getting codes P0761 and P2714. Those are transmission codes for shift selenoid vavle be stuck close. Not sure if this is because of gas cap and/or lack of airflow. Let me know what you think.
Old 12-19-10, 10:33 PM
jackgs
Driver School Candidate

Default Check Engine & VSC light went off and came back..

Originally Posted by TWong1200
It could be anything, really. You'll need to get it checked for codes and go from there. It could be as simple as not tightening your gas cap enough though.
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I have post anything here. But I hope some can shine some light on this issue I am having..

I have a 2006 GS300 AWD, when I first got the check engine light " (!) " and "VSC" (yellow lights), I studied the post here and replaced my gas cap. It was indeed worn out and loose.

After a few drives allthe light went out. Everything seem back to normal. But it then came back in a gew month later, so I did not bother as the vehicle act perfectly normal except I was able to power slide as the Vehicle Stability Control is no longer in effect.

So that's been happneing about 2 to 3 time now so far in one year period. I always check and make sure I tight the gas cap after filling with at least 4 clicks..

But now winter is here in Canada and my VSC & (!) & check engine (all in yellow) light up in my dash again. The car runs perfect with no problem. Except I get to drift the car in the snow and the computer is not there to stop me..

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing here?

Maybe know what it may be?

If something is bad the light should stay on dash and not go away til problem is fixed right?

I'll try to find get a scan while the ligth is on next time.. (the lights just went away this morning..)

Don't know weather to be happy or mad.....

Last edited by jackgs; 12-19-10 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-30-10, 12:07 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackgs
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I have post anything here. But I hope some can shine some light on this issue I am having..

I have a 2006 GS300 AWD, when I first got the check engine light " (!) " and "VSC" (yellow lights), I studied the post here and replaced my gas cap. It was indeed worn out and loose.

After a few drives allthe light went out. Everything seem back to normal. But it then came back in a gew month later, so I did not bother as the vehicle act perfectly normal except I was able to power slide as the Vehicle Stability Control is no longer in effect.

So that's been happneing about 2 to 3 time now so far in one year period. I always check and make sure I tight the gas cap after filling with at least 4 clicks..

But now winter is here in Canada and my VSC & (!) & check engine (all in yellow) light up in my dash again. The car runs perfect with no problem. Except I get to drift the car in the snow and the computer is not there to stop me..

Is anyone else experiencing the same thing here?

Maybe know what it may be?

If something is bad the light should stay on dash and not go away til problem is fixed right?

I'll try to find get a scan while the ligth is on next time.. (the lights just went away this morning..)

Don't know weather to be happy or mad.....
I JUST had this same problem with my 2006 GS430 with 70k miles. car drives fine and everything but I have the Check Engine and Check VSC on. I saw a whole bunch of people saying that is can be gas cap related. I ordered a new gas cap GASKET and replaced it for $10. Once installed the light was still on and stayed on after driving the car about 10 miles. I went ahead and pulled the battery to reset the light and it went away.

Spent $10 and fixed my problem..

I bought gasket here... http://www.oereplacement.com/partInf...ar=&eyear=#top
Old 12-30-10, 12:13 PM
Nash
Pole Position

I have an 06 gs 300 and had this happen. I replaced the gas cap b/c i was under warranty and it was fixed. Its been about a year since this was done and yesterday the light popped back up. The car is running fine but my warranty is up. Should i take it back to lexus? If so how much is it to get them to check this? Also if i disconnect the battery what settings will i have to go back reset exc.?
Old 12-30-10, 12:15 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

just buy a gas cap, i think mine cost $20 from the dealer because i didnt feel like waiting for them to schedule me in. Only thing you'll probably have to reset if you disconnect the battery is the 1 touch for the windows and sunroof.
Old 12-30-10, 12:26 PM
VIPNiSS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
just buy a gas cap, i think mine cost $20 from the dealer because i didnt feel like waiting for them to schedule me in. Only thing you'll probably have to reset if you disconnect the battery is the 1 touch for the windows and sunroof.
what he said!
Old 01-02-11, 10:07 AM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep in mind that the light needs two consecutive, complete (from cold to fully warmed up), normal cycles, to clear on its own.
Old 02-13-11, 10:33 AM
ReLexing
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Marshmallo, do you know what TSB number this is? My 2008 gs350 with 51600 just did it twice to me this week end and I have a service appointment on Wednesday. I would like to know the number incase they want to be "dumb" that day. I already took it to Toyota on Saturday and they cliam that its normal for th eengine to do that... Yeah Right.
Old 02-13-11, 06:51 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

supposedly Lexus has a new gas cap that has helped with the various and erratic erray of lights. The new cap is 77300-47010, has yellow printing on the top and a reddish brown gasket. (the previous cap has white printing and a black gasket). I installed this new one early this week and so far so good. fingers crossed.

A while back, I bought a decent scan tool and anytime the lights came on CHECK VSC and the (!), I would hook it up and never get any codes.

On occasion, I would get the "ultimate display of nonsense" (P/S, CHECK 4WD, ABS, AFS OFF, PCS, ! in triangle, Tranny position indicator light goes out, and the temp gauge goes to C) and still no codes would show up. The only light that never came on was the MIL (orange engine block).

The parts guy at my dealership was kind of sheepish when I commented that it was about time they came up with a fix for this nonsense. He also apologized for the $35 price tag. Kinda like Lexus gouging because they know people that have had these lights will pay the $35 to end the constant "oh crap the lights are on again!!"

lets hope this is a final fix.

steviej
Old 03-11-11, 09:23 AM
sexilexi84
Driver School Candidate

hey guys, first post here! thought i'd contribute back after a year of lurking in the darkness...

this happened to me (check VSC light) and it turned out when i changed a headlight i took out the air filter and forgot to tighten the clamp on the intake hose. after clamping it down it went away. i think the MAF senses volumetric flow is too low and throws a code. as others mentioned, the VSC light seems to come on for unrelated reasons when the CEL is on.

so those of you not getting anywhere with your gas tank caps...
Old 03-23-11, 11:48 AM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

ok... i have this problem now for the 2nd time... first time was gas cap.

Now, i have shift solenoid codes and possible cat converter codes... .i have 150k miles on the car. the car occassionally seems to lack power in certain gears and has a hard time shifting properly intermittently... so i don't think it's my gas cap. The check VSC code comes and goes, so I'm thinkin' it's more than a $10 fix for me this time around.

I will say I'm getting somewhat disappointed with the build quality of the newer GS's over my 97 SC400. I sold that car with 217k miles on it, and had ZERO PROBLEMS!!! This car has had it's share of stupid problems that I'd say are not of Lexus legacy in quality control issues.
Old 04-11-11, 03:23 PM
Neto
Driver School Candidate

just got that today on my way to work...06 GS 430, bought it 2 months ago I put on it 7000KM.

What is the estimated cost for worst case scenario so that I know who is bull****ting me and who isn't?
Old 04-18-11, 10:24 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steviej
supposedly Lexus has a new gas cap that has helped with the various and erratic erray of lights. The new cap is 77300-47010, has yellow printing on the top and a reddish brown gasket. (the previous cap has white printing and a black gasket). I installed this new one early this week and so far so good. fingers crossed.
This happened today, I bought a new cap from Longo and had a local shop scan and reset the code p0441, etc... the old cap appeared to be really loose and the new one seem to be pretty tight.
Old 04-20-11, 05:37 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by steviej

A while back, I bought a decent scan tool and anytime the lights came on CHECK VSC and the (!), I would hook it up and never get any codes.

On occasion, I would get the "ultimate display of nonsense" (P/S, CHECK 4WD, ABS, AFS OFF, PCS, ! in triangle, Tranny position indicator light goes out, and the temp gauge goes to C) and still no codes would show up. The only light that never came on was the MIL (orange engine block).

The parts guy at my dealership was kind of sheepish when I commented that it was about time they came up with a fix for this nonsense. He also apologized for the $35 price tag. Kinda like Lexus gouging because they know people that have had these lights will pay the $35 to end the constant "oh crap the lights are on again!!"

lets hope this is a final fix.

steviej

I guess I spoke too soon. I got both sets of lights over the weekend even with the latest verison of the gas cap. No codes were in memory at least that I could pull with my scanner. The car is in the dealership right now for the plastic carpet pad recall and I am having them do a scan to see if they can find. Most likely they won't find any codes either. The MIL never comes on. Nov. 2009 when it first started happening, they only found Cam-Bus code and no P#### code.

My next step is to send an email to Lexus customer service outlining all the crazy lights, linking to this thread so they do not I am "the only one having this issue" and sending one to the NTHSA. I really hate loosing power steering at 70mph. Although conventional steering is still functional, it is stiff.

steviej

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Check VSC