GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Check Engine Light - Check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-10, 05:19 AM
Brian06
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here for me in my 06 GS. I only have 35k and the VSC came on. Went to the dealer and they replaced the cap under the emissions warranty and cleared the codes.
Old 04-07-10, 10:34 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

Default VSC light on

I was driving home from school, suddenly, the VSC and Check engine lights popped up. Acceleration was good when I give gas. Can anyone help me with this?
Old 04-07-10, 10:37 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be anything, really. You'll need to get it checked for codes and go from there. It could be as simple as not tightening your gas cap enough though.
Old 04-08-10, 06:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

did anyone even read this thread?
Old 04-27-10, 02:22 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Default same

i just got my engine light on yesterday! ahh its so anoying to know i just bought it a month ago used. And didnt buy the warranty. I tightened my gas cap so hopefully that will fix it withing 4 days ( so ive read).
Old 04-28-10, 04:51 PM
AmirLexus
Rookie

Default My VSC light turned off along with the check engine light

So i figured its from me not tightening my gas cap. I tightened the cap until 1 click!. i waited 2 and 1/2 days and it went off. It took about 20 on/off cycles and it went away. hope that helped =) I have a is250 thats why it was one click btw
Old 05-10-10, 10:01 PM
84GTS
Driver School Candidate

Default Blinking Check Engine, VSC on, and loss of power

Hi-

I got 06 is250 AWD.. While driving in the rain, I got Blinking Check Engine, VSC on, and loss of power. Got home, restarted the car and everything is back to normal now.. Will I be able to retrieve any error codes from that incident or it can only be done while Check Engine is on? Is loss of power in my case = misfiring = problem with exhaust valves (Lexus TSB)? Thank you in advance.
Old 05-26-10, 10:49 AM
ego93
Driver School Candidate

2006 GS 300 here and still under warranty. I had this VSC issue come up over a year ago. Dealer replaced the oxygen sensor and said it was because we were putting bad gas in. we put nothing but premium as suggested so I let it be. Fast forward to a month and a half ago and the Check VS light comes back on. Took the car in to another Lexus dealer. One and a half days later I was told it was a broken valve spring. Will get the car by end of next day. Techs do a test drive and notice the problem returns.

The notice a few TSB from Lexus on it and proceed to tell me that the valves need to be replaced because of carbon buildup. They will need Lexus to oversee the operation and measure the parts before they are put back. Several weeks later and still no car. Apparently one of Lexus' chief engineers from Atlanta was called in. According to the service rep, the carbon buildup has to be cleaned off of the cylinders and they can only do two a day. Needless to say I'm not happy.

Can this car be declared a lemon? What guarantee will I have that it won't happen again? Maybe you guys should have your dealer check that angle.
Old 06-17-10, 03:58 PM
kahuna2
Driver School Candidate

My wife's '06 GS300 had the same problem, and the gas cap was the culprit. The dealer told me that the cap should be replaced after about 35-40k miles, as the rubber seal gets worn out. The gas cap keeps the fuel tank pressurized, which is needed for other sensors to work properly.

Originally Posted by hziemba
I had the same problem with my 06 GS. Turned out to be the gas cap not cranked down. I took it off, put it back on until I heard 3-4 clicks. A couple of days later, the light went out. Problem solved without a trip to the dealer.
Old 06-24-10, 01:51 PM
84GTS
Driver School Candidate

Yes, but I do not think a worn out gas cap will result in power loss.
Old 11-07-10, 01:28 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

I had the samething happen all of sudden last night around 2:30am on my way home.

2006 GS300

The check engine light came on and the (!) light next to it and also I believe the traction control light (top left yellow light looks like a car swirving). The LCD was also saying Check VSC. I also have the Check Status light on before because when I changed my rims out a while back my shop wasn't able to mount my stock TPMS Sensors on my aftermarket rims, Discount said the could do it with an adapter for $70 but I haven't had time to go and get it done, but they said they couldn't reprogram the TPMS Sensors to different PSI but they could just reset it, so I figure I'd have to go to the dealer to have them do that (anyone know how much they charge to reprogram the TPMS Sensor to a different PSI?)

I digress...

After reading this thread I checked gas cap sealing o-ring, it didn't look worn out or old, so I put it back on. When I removed the cap it seamed a little lose but I'm usually pretty good about making it click 3-5 times when I fill up.
I drove around today turned the car on and off a handful of times while running errands and they remained on when I turned the car back on each time.

I changed my oil a few weeks ago to Royale Purple Sythentic and the oil filter but not the air filter.
I've been busy and had been looking at various auto stores for a K&N but no one has it in stock. After reading one guys post on page 3 or 4, he said his problem was a dirty air filter and a dirty MAF Sensor.

Well I just went to AutoZone and and had them run the ODBII scan and it came up with this code:

P0014
Definition
Camshaft position "B" timing over advance-
bank 1

Probable cause
1.Engine mechanical condition
2.Camshaft actuator condition

Now I don't know what all this means if anyone could translate I'd appreciate it.

When I left started my car up and left AutoZone and all those lights (check engine, the (!), and the traction control (swirvy car)) were all off? I don't know if it's because of the ODBII scan he did that temporarily turned it off and maybe it might turn back on after a few days or if it was just the gas cap?

Either way, if someone could translate or has had some more input let know.
I'll keep ya'll posted if the horrible error lights come back on.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-10, 04:06 PM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HamBurglar
I had the samething happen all of sudden last night around 2:30am on my way home.

2006 GS300

The check engine light came on and the (!) light next to it and also I believe the traction control light (top left yellow light looks like a car swirving). The LCD was also saying Check VSC. I also have the Check Status light on before because when I changed my rims out a while back my shop wasn't able to mount my stock TPMS Sensors on my aftermarket rims, Discount said the could do it with an adapter for $70 but I haven't had time to go and get it done, but they said they couldn't reprogram the TPMS Sensors to different PSI but they could just reset it, so I figure I'd have to go to the dealer to have them do that (anyone know how much they charge to reprogram the TPMS Sensor to a different PSI?)

I digress...

After reading this thread I checked gas cap sealing o-ring, it didn't look worn out or old, so I put it back on. When I removed the cap it seamed a little lose but I'm usually pretty good about making it click 3-5 times when I fill up.
I drove around today turned the car on and off a handful of times while running errands and they remained on when I turned the car back on each time.

I changed my oil a few weeks ago to Royale Purple Sythentic and the oil filter but not the air filter.
I've been busy and had been looking at various auto stores for a K&N but no one has it in stock. After reading one guys post on page 3 or 4, he said his problem was a dirty air filter and a dirty MAF Sensor.

Well I just went to AutoZone and and had them run the ODBII scan and it came up with this code:

P0014
Definition
Camshaft position "B" timing over advance-
bank 1

Probable cause
1.Engine mechanical condition
2.Camshaft actuator condition

Now I don't know what all this means if anyone could translate I'd appreciate it.

When I left started my car up and left AutoZone and all those lights (check engine, the (!), and the traction control (swirvy car)) were all off? I don't know if it's because of the ODBII scan he did that temporarily turned it off and maybe it might turn back on after a few days or if it was just the gas cap?

Either way, if someone could translate or has had some more input let know.
I'll keep ya'll posted if the horrible error lights come back on.

Thanks.
Did you really need to post this here AND create a new thread with the same information in it?
Old 11-08-10, 02:38 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Did you really need to post this here AND create a new thread with the same information in it?
For one, I just wanted to add my experience and keep this thread alive since many people have had the same problem the VSC and Check Engine light and different results.

The second post was mainly just to get the error code translated but I did add a brief discription so that they have a little background info on why it happened?

Savy?
Old 11-15-10, 01:47 PM
Boomer99
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone experienced this and also had their acceleration be affected? I had this occur last week. While travelling on a very busy highway, the lights came on and my car failed to accelerate "normally" even though I had it floored. As got off the highway and went up the exit, the accelaration was up in the 4 RPM's and yet I was barely going 20 MPH. I restarted the car and it went away. Oddly, it seems also to have shorted out my cigarette lighters as well, as now they do not work.
thanks!
Old 11-16-10, 07:15 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boomer99
Has anyone experienced this and also had their acceleration be affected? I had this occur last week. While travelling on a very busy highway, the lights came on and my car failed to accelerate "normally" even though I had it floored. As got off the highway and went up the exit, the accelaration was up in the 4 RPM's and yet I was barely going 20 MPH. I restarted the car and it went away. Oddly, it seems also to have shorted out my cigarette lighters as well, as now they do not work.
thanks!
Yes, I just had this happen over the weekend... The VSC light flashed and I could not accelerate like I wanted on the highway.

On Monday the light became solid. I called the service dept and they said if the light is solid then it is not dangerous (which means it was dangerous when it was flashing??? Go figure ).

I took it in today and they took care of it free of charge. There was a TSB for my particular problem that was covered under the 70,000 mile drivetrain warranty. The cause of the problem was DIRT and the solution was PERFORM TOP ENGINE CLEAN. Seems like a common problem...

For reference my car has about 56K miles on it.

Last edited by marshmallo; 11-16-10 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light - Check VSC