GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

so i worked on a 06 gs 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-05, 06:42 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chiawei
???

So what does this has to do with original discussion of replacing brake pads and rotor at 20k miles??

NOTHING!!!!

Also what does replacing a broken window regulator past 50k warranty has to do with your original post

I got it. NOTHING!!!!

The fact of matter is that BMW brakes cost nothing to replace and maintain up to 50k miles, which you need to pay on lexus. Nor does GS430 has such a superior brake over the E60.

So please explain to me how you make the connection from original post of replacing brakes and rotor on 06 GS430 with 20k miles to 55k miles replacement of window regulator.
ummm.....i believe the connection was you use ur brakes almost as much as your window button...
Old 10-06-05, 07:20 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it *very* hard to believe that the rotors by design get 'eaten away' by the pads in 20k miles by design. If you can keep your rotor from warping - realistically rotors don't warp, they just accumulate material unevenly from overheated pads when you come to a stop... solution, do most of your braking first and do the last of your braking over an extended period of time, in fact try to never come to a complete stop if you can wait out the green light or traffic jam.
Old 10-06-05, 09:01 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Threxx
I find it *very* hard to believe that the rotors by design get 'eaten away' by the pads in 20k miles by design. If you can keep your rotor from warping - realistically rotors don't warp, they just accumulate material unevenly from overheated pads when you come to a stop... solution, do most of your braking first and do the last of your braking over an extended period of time, in fact try to never come to a complete stop if you can wait out the green light or traffic jam.
we have what i call 2 to 1. [U] in the city[/U] brakes wear out 2 times faster than in the contry side or the subabarbs.
heres what ive knoticed while workin in the city
25k ls needs brakes
20-25 gx , lx needs brakes
30k is needs brakes
30-35 is needs brakes

lol very hard to believe is true. u buy ceramic pads the rotor gets eatin by the pads faster but less brake dust. if some1 here has access to tis i belive that gs rotors start off at 33mm and 27mm is min. and rotors are a wear item just like brakes

please ppl read the bold words. in the CITY AKA CHICAGO

Last edited by koolaidman; 10-06-05 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-06-05, 09:02 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

No. That is not true.

BMW rotors are only replaced if it is warped or worn out. A simple brake pad replacement does not equal to rotor replacement.
bmw rotors are throw away rotors. call ur bmw shop bmw rotors are like 130 a piece or near that range
Old 10-06-05, 09:14 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by koolaidman
we have what i call 2 to 1. [U] in the city[/U] brakes wear out 2 times faster than in the contry side or the subabarbs.
heres what ive knoticed while workin in the city
25k ls needs brakes
20-25 gx , lx needs brakes
30k is needs brakes
30-35 is needs brakes

lol very hard to believe is true. u buy ceramic pads the rotor gets eatin by the pads faster but less brake dust. if some1 here has access to tis i belive that gs rotors start off at 33mm and 27mm is min. and rotors are a wear item just like brakes

please ppl read the bold words. in the CITY AKA CHICAGO
I have just under 80k miles on my GS4 with the original rotors, never resurfaced, in great shape - don't even shimmy. Original front pads, the rears have been replaced once though because I got some for free. Long story. Anyhow, last checkup at the dealer I still have SEVENTY percent of my brake life left on my pads and rotors looked perfect.

That means realistically if I don't hit 150k miles on these same brakes then I've seriously changed my braking habits.

I've *never* had a car with rotors that needed to be replaced, much less even resurfaced at 25k miles or so. If a Lexus did that to me I'd be PISSED. Lexus' #1 is reliability and durability, not performance, so why make a pad that would cut into the life of the brakes so ridiculously?
Old 10-06-05, 09:20 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have just under 80k miles on my GS4 with the original rotors, never resurfaced, in great shape - don't even shimmy. Original front pads, the rears have been replaced once though because I got some for free. Long story. Anyhow, last checkup at the dealer I still have SEVENTY percent of my brake life left on my pads and rotors looked perfect.

That means realistically if I don't hit 150k miles on these same brakes then I've seriously changed my braking habits.

I've *never* had a car with rotors that needed to be replaced, much less even resurfaced at 25k miles or so. If a Lexus did that to me I'd be PISSED. Lexus' #1 is reliability and durability, not performance, so why make a pad that would cut into the life of the brakes so ridiculously?
the 06 GS430 brakes are a whole different animal. If you drove one you'd see. but 20k is still week.

you really have 80k on your original front pads?
Old 10-06-05, 09:28 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chuckb
the 06 GS430 brakes are a whole different animal. If you drove one you'd see. but 20k is still week.

you really have 80k on your original front pads?
Yep and would still have my original rears too but had the opportunity to get them replaced for free by a friend so why not. Unless the dealer is smoking something good and completely mis-measured my pad life I should be good until somewhere between 150k and 200k miles.

Seriously, read what I wrote above about braking habits, rotor buildup, heat dissapation, etc. It WORKS. This is also of course assuming you drive reasonably sanely. I don't stop hard unless it's an emergency. I time lights if at all possible to where if they're red, I just let off the gas to where they're hopefully gree before I even have to get on the brakes, and if I know I'm going to have to get on the brakes I do it way early and gradually.
Old 10-06-05, 11:36 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

look where u live. ur probably in 1 of those places where it takes u 30 min to get any where. yes i can see 80k for original brakes. remember life in the big city. u wear out ur brakes faster. and we are talkin about an 06 here
Old 10-07-05, 07:50 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

look where u live. ur probably in 1 of those places where it takes u 30 min to get any where. yes i can see 80k for original brakes. remember life in the big city. u wear out ur brakes faster. and we are talkin about an 06 here
I figured the 06, if anything, should be more durable in terms of brakes... that's just the way things 'should be' with a 'new and improved' model, especially from Lexus, a company that prides itself on the longevity and perfection of its products.

Well I live in the suburbs about 15-20 minutes outside the Memphis city limits, where I work and go to school. About 75% of my miles are city. It's definitely nothing like New York or Washington DC city traffic, but it's no stroll through the countryside either.

And again, we're talking if the dealer is right I should be able to make it to at least 150k miles before changing my pads - and at the rate I'm going, before even resurfacing my rotors either, much less replacing them.
Old 10-07-05, 10:36 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

???

So what does this has to do with original discussion of replacing brake pads and rotor at 20k miles??

NOTHING!!!!

Also what does replacing a broken window regulator past 50k warranty has to do with your original post

I got it. NOTHING!!!!

The fact of matter is that BMW brakes cost nothing to replace and maintain up to 50k miles, which you need to pay on lexus. Nor does GS430 has such a superior brake over the E60.

So please explain to me how you make the connection from original post of replacing brakes and rotor on 06 GS430 with 20k miles to 55k miles replacement of window regulator.
My point was only that you 'BMW guys' think that your Rondel-equipped cars are the end-all be-all of cars. I looked and drove at the 5 before I bought my GS. Ultimately, MY decision came down to "how reliable will the car be? Can I afford a BMW? Yes. Would I consider them reliable? No. Decision made.

Several of my friends who formerly drove BMW, Audi, and Mercedes cars have switched to Lexus. After all, who wants to be in a loaner car when you're paying $800/month for a car?

Bear in mind, you are on a Lexus forum. We are passionate about our cars, just like BMW owners are. My intent was not to bash BMW cars (or their owners), but to offer some constructive comparision as a reality check. I'm not sure what you have contributed to this thread. Grow up.
Old 10-07-05, 07:57 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
My point was only that you 'BMW guys' think that your Rondel-equipped cars are the end-all be-all of cars. I looked and drove at the 5 before I bought my GS. Ultimately, MY decision came down to "how reliable will the car be? Can I afford a BMW? Yes. Would I consider them reliable? No. Decision made.

Several of my friends who formerly drove BMW, Audi, and Mercedes cars have switched to Lexus. After all, who wants to be in a loaner car when you're paying $800/month for a car?

Bear in mind, you are on a Lexus forum. We are passionate about our cars, just like BMW owners are. My intent was not to bash BMW cars (or their owners), but to offer some constructive comparision as a reality check. I'm not sure what you have contributed to this thread. Grow up.
from what ive seen. land rover, bmw, audi, vw (just about all the euro companaies have a very high maint. as for the american cars. a lot less. and so as honda/acura toyota lexus
Old 10-07-05, 08:01 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

I figured the 06, if anything, should be more durable in terms of brakes... that's just the way things 'should be' with a 'new and improved' model, especially from Lexus, a company that prides itself on the longevity and perfection of its products.

Well I live in the suburbs about 15-20 minutes outside the Memphis city limits, where I work and go to school. About 75% of my miles are city. It's definitely nothing like New York or Washington DC city traffic, but it's no stroll through the countryside either.

And again, we're talking if the dealer is right I should be able to make it to at least 150k miles before changing my pads - and at the rate I'm going, before even resurfacing my rotors either, much less replacing them.
new and improved doesnt always mean more durability. most of the time it means a preformance boost. witch in turn. more wear.
Old 10-30-05, 10:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

are you guys sure that lexus wont replace rotors after 20k for free? I bet they will... call lexus corp and complain, no way you should pay for rotors, and knowing how Toyota does business, you wont...

Unless it is HIGHLY unusual and it doesnt happen often, which would mean car was driven that hard (ie track with unsuitable pads).
Old 11-01-05, 05:17 AM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

nope both cars
What???? And you work on cars??

High friction (short lasting) brakes are ONLY on the GS430, NOT on the GS300.

Thus, the GS300 should not have this problem.
Old 11-01-05, 08:56 AM
GS4_LEX
Driver School Candidate

Default Why the arguement?

There is no need to argue over who is right or wrong because this has not been a wide spead problem yet therefore we cannot make any accurate count of 06 GS430 owners that have had this problem.

I just bought mine a few weeks ago and I will post if there is a problem and I hope that everyone with this problem will post to make sure that we keep Lexus honest if there is a problem and for them to address this issue if it becomes widespread. Until then we are only giving circumstance on a few cars so we cannot come to any conclusions.

AS far as the BMW or Lexus debate each can argue each point. But how often are you going to notice that you need to brake in less than 120ft?

I just sold my 03.5 BMW M3 Convertbile to get back to Lexus. I got tired of the car and I had almost purchased an 02 M3 for a project car. That would be project car had 30K miles on it and its door weather strips has been a problem and still is a problem. Why can't they fix it? Bad glue? For the past 4 years since its introduction look at how many issues have come up with NAV system having recalls, motor recalls, weather seals being a problem, convertible tops squeaking and the list goes on and on. I knew about the issues and still purchased one. I don't regret it. I truly enjoyed the car but I wouldn't say that I loved the car. I also had an 02 745Li after I sold the Lexus Gs430 and it was a piece of junk that I owned for less than 6months. The shfiting lever on it would break all the time( known issue still) and the car would stall due to software issues with the Idrive. Since been corrected but still was a problem in 02 when the problem was widespead in 01.

We can make many assumptions and claims about how one car is better or worse than another. I myself got out of the Lexus because I wanted something sportier and in a convertible and didn't like the SC430 enough to stay with Lexus. I am back now and very happy.

As far as warranty with BMW - lets say we have to wrestle it out of them to fix anything. Most of the service advisors that I dealt with didn't know of the service bulletins until I printed them out to show them that it was an issue. I had my motor recalled twice after they told me that my year and model didn't have to be recalled. Twice because the service advisor couldn't remember if they did a complete recall on the motor so he did it again for safety reasons. One thing is that I always recieved another BMW loaner so I don't have complaints about that.

Would I own another M3? Yes - when the new body comes out. For now I will modify this one until that times comes again.

Lexus service has always treated me well. BMW - eh. SO SO. Quality and fitment - Lexus all the way. Compared to the 5 series - not even a comparison. Interior is harsh - I-Drive needs more work, service is mediocre. My opinion of course. I am a Lexus and BMW enthusiast.

Quick Reply: so i worked on a 06 gs 430