GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AutoWeek test........last again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-05, 10:43 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default AutoWeek test........last again.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102927

Double Take: 2006 Lexus GS 430 vs. 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
Luxo Grudge Match: Infiniti’s M45 sedan matches wits with the electronic brain of the Lexus GS 430
AUTOWEEK
Published Date: 8/15/05
The polite thing to say here is that one of the cars in this comparison makes an excellent commuter and long-distance autobahner, while the other is a surprising amount of fun to drive at the track.

But that’s only three-quarters of the story, because the car that is a surprising amount of fun to drive at the track is also an excellent commuter and long-distance autobahner. So the winner was pretty obvious to us, though we didn’t expect it to be such a runaway. If you want to know the winner, you can skip all the way to the end of the article, but you have a whole week until your next issue arrives, so why not read on and let the suspense build?

We’re talking here about the new Lexus GS 430 and Infiniti M45, which are statistically nearly identical cars. When they came out several months ago they just begged, pleaded even, to be thrown into a comparison test. Both offer big, smooth, powerful V8 engines, commodious four-door cabins, and both are from Japanese carmakers that wended their ways slowly and steadily up the scale to sit at the top of the luxo-sedan heap along with only a few other manufacturers. These cars cried out for a grudge match.

Both cars compete in the luxury segment once dominated by Mercedes-Benz, then pollinated by Audi, Jaguar and Cadillac. Now Lexus and Infiniti are in the mix. (Acura doesn’t count, because its RL has a V6 while all the others have V8s. Why? Who knows, since the new RL is an otherwise magnificent car and could go mano a mano with the best in the segment if only it had two more cylinders. As it stands, Acura is still back in Camel Lights.)

Let’s look at the contenders.

The GS 430 has so many electronic handling acronyms that it should be sponsored by Post Alpha-Bits breakfast cereal. There is even a program to counter crosswinds.

The GS 400, as it was first known, was created to fill the gaping hole between the entry-level ES 300 and the luxury-party-crasher LS 400. The first GS was actually a show car built by Giugiaro, presented at the 1990 Geneva motor show as the Kensington. It was intended for Jaguar, but when Jaguar passed, Lexus made the car into the GS. It met all the criteria for the luxury semi-performance class, and it was a good high-speed cruiser. For 2006 the GS gets fully revitalized with a new engine, new brakes and enough electronics to strangle a goat. More on the latter later.

The lineage of the Infiniti M45 is not as direct. This model is basically a stretched and more powerful G35. The previous M45 had no relation to the G35, but was a version of the Japan-market Cedric/Gloria. Now Infiniti has dropped the old M45 with its Q45 platform and replaced it with this stretched and V8-ed version of the G35. So the car went from Q to M and then from G to G-and-a-half and is now called M but is really a G. If you’d like to be confused about anything else, please call us. Whatever it is, this is the car that plugs the gap between the two ends of the sedan spectrum at Infiniti.

Both of these cars sit on nice rear-wheel-drive platforms, though the Infiniti sits on that can-do-no-wrong FM platform riding under the mighty 350Z, G35 and the coming GTR.

The fundamental difference between the two is that the Infiniti has built-in sporty goodness, while the Lexus takes a fairly good substructure and tries hard to make it great through electronics.

The single most noteworthy electronic aid on the M45 is the Rear Active Steer. Sensors for wheel speed and steering angle feed a computer, which decides how much to adjust the rear lower links to steer the rear wheels up to one degree—electric motors do the work. The result is more stable cornering and greater grip. It’s not scary like super HICAS was back in the day.

The most noteworthy electronic aid on the M45 is the Rear Active Steer, with sensors for wheel speed and steering angle. The result is more stable cornering and greater grip.

The GS 430, meanwhile, has so many electronic handling acronyms that it should be sponsored by Post Alpha-Bits breakfast cereal (assuming that tasty product is still manufactured). Basically the VDIM (vehicle dynamics integrated management system) controls variable gear ratio steering (VGRS), vehicle stability control (VSC), electronically controlled brake system (ECB), ABS, electronic brake distribution (EBD), brake assist (BA) and engine torque via electronic throttle. There is even a program to counter crosswinds, not to mention the pre-collision system that uses the cruise control’s radar to sense imminent impact and then tightens the seatbelts and pre-pressurizes the brake lines so they grip more quickly when the driver steps on the pedal.

In a straight line, these are both fine cars to drive.

“Excellent on the freeway,” is one comment on the M45. “All I hear is a very subdued thumping from the tires, nothing comes through to the cabin.”

“Fast and smooth on the freeway,” says one tester of the GS 430. “This car is ticket bait, and you’d never even realize it.”

We wrote as much about the GS 430 at the car’s introduction, where we never really pushed it too hard. But as we said in that story, “While it feels sound and fun now, we will withhold judgment until after we can thrash it without adult supervision.”

There were no adults on hand the day we brought these cars to the California Speedway.

First thing we did was go down the drag strip. While it’s true the Infiniti has 200 cubic centimeters more displacement, giving it 335 hp vs. the Lexus’ 300, the GS 430 has 250 pounds less curb weight, 3745 pounds to 3995. So the GS’s smaller 4.3-liter V8 has that mitigating factor going for it compared to the M45’s 4.5. Also, we tested the Lexus first, under slightly better atmospheric conditions, if you believe in those things.

Nonetheless, the M spanked, getting to 60 mph in 5.95 seconds compared to the GS’s 6.27. That latter figure is a little surprising, since Lexus lists 0 to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds. Quarter-mile times are closer, with the M45 going through at 14.54 seconds at 97.7 mph and the GS 430 at 14.76 seconds at 95.9 mph. At least some of the blame should go to the traction control on the Lexus, which, even when switched off, turns itself back on above 30 or 35 mph. That is really annoying, too. It’s like HAL refusing to open the pod bay door. “I’m afraid I can’t do that, Dave.” Now we all know what happened to HAL, don’t we?

The Infiniti also stops better: 120 feet from 60 mph vs. 124 feet for the Lexus. The Lexus brake-by-wire system feels slow to respond compared to the M45, an observation backed up by our computer printouts of each braking incident, which suggest the Lexus system is slower to build up maximum effort compared to the Infiniti. And yet, when driving around town, it is the Lexus brakes that feel way too touchy and overboosted.

In the slalom we loved the Infiniti but wanted to drive the damned Lexus into a wall. Since there is no way to turn off the stability control at the speeds at which we typically go through the slalom, we had the traction/stability/everything else system in full operation on every run. We had to hack our way through the slalom around the interference of the enormous Lexus electronic brain. The Infiniti, meanwhile, even stayed in the gear we selected as we wended our way through the cones, while the Lexus kept choosing the gear it thought was best. Results: Infiniti, 44.5 mph; Lexus, 43.8 mph.

The Infiniti costs less too, with a base price (including delivery) of $50,160 for the M45 Sport compared to $51,775 for the Lexus.

So yes, the Infiniti is easily the winner here. Buyers who are never going to push their luxury sedans as hard as we do, and who like the greater isolation and the extra brake and steering assist of the Lexus, might disagree. While it may not be as sophisticated and road-course smooth as a BMW 5 Series or even an Audi A6, the Infiniti M45 is easily the Japanese champion in this class. Sayonara, Lexus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OTHER VIEWS
> My decision was made as soon as I discovered the Lexus’ traction/stability control reactivated at 30 mph, even though I switched it off. It is bad enough when automakers—Mercedes comes to mind—won’t let you fully turn off such systems, but they usually allow some slip-angle. Lexus apparently thinks the only reason to turn off the baby sitters is to get a good launch.
Mac Morrison

> The M name has come a long way since Nissan first rebadged its Cedric/Gloria and sent it over. While still no visual screamer, the M does attract attention with its subtle good looks. And a sleeper body is always my first choice. Inside you find roomy and very well-appointed accommodations, so much so that this new M seems well on its way to butting up against the flagship Q, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
Carrie Roca

> The M45 has undergone a transformation from bench warmer to big-time baller, a vehicle that now clearly has the game to take on all comers in the luxo-themed sport sedan segment. Gobs of power, improved driving dynamics, a nicely upgraded interior and slick curbside appeal combine to make this new M mighty good.
Mike Floyd

> This M45 isn’t just better than the car it replaces, it’s arguably in the top-three in its class. Where it ultimately finishes on the podium depends on your interpretation. I’d take the M45 because it has the muscle, robust handling and aggressive lines to keep me entertained. I appreciate the GS 430’s plush ride and isolated environment, but at the end of the day I need to get my blood going.
Andrew Luu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VEHICLE SPECS AND ROAD-TEST DATA

2006 LEXUS GS 430
BASE PRICE (INCLUDES DELIVERY): $51,775
AS-TESTED PRICE: $58,140

ENGINE
Front-longitudinal 4.3-liter/261.97-cid dohc V8
Output: 300 hp @ 5600 rpm, 325 lb-ft @ 3400 rpm
Compression ratio: 10.5:1
Fuel requirement: 91 octane

DRIVETRAIN
Rear-wheel drive
Transmission: Six-speed automatic
Final drive ratio: 3.769:1

CHASSIS
Unibody four-door sedan

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 112.2 in
Track (front/rear): 60.4/60.6 in
Length/width/height: 190.0/71.7/56.1 in
Curb weight/GVWR: 3745/4674 lbs

SUSPENSION
Front: Double wishbone with coil springs, computer-controlled gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar
Rear: Multilink with coil springs, computer-controlled gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES
Vented discs front and rear, ABS with EBD; aluminum 245/40R-18 Yokohama Advan A10B

CAPACITIES
Fuel: 18.8 gal
Cargo: 12.7 cu ft

OPTIONS AS TESTED
Mark Levinson audio system, navigation system, rear camera ($4,030); moonroof ($1,000); clearance sonar ($500); ;rain-sensing wipers, with mist control, headlight washers ($225); rear sunshade ($210); rear spoiler ($200); ventilated seats ($200)

STANDING-START ACCELERATION
0-60 mph: 6.27 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 6.67 sec
0-quarter-mile: 14.76 sec @ 95.9 mph

ROLLING ACCELERATION
20-40 mph (first and second gear): 2.3 sec
40-60 mph (second gear): 3.1 sec
60-80 mph (third gear): 3.9 sec

BRAKING
60 mph-0: 124 ft

HANDLING
490-foot slalom: 43.8 mph
Lateral acceleration (200-foot skidpad): 0.80 g

FUEL MILEAGE
EPA combined: 20.59 mpg
AW overall: 21.21 mpg

INTERIOR NOISE (dBA)
Idle: 43
Max first gear: 69
Steady 60 mph: 62

2006 INFINITI M45 SPORT
BASE PRICE (INCLUDES DELIVERY): $50,160
AS-TESTED PRICE: $56,060

ENGINE
Front-longitudinal 4.5-liter/274.24-cid dohc V8
Output: 335 hp @ 6400 rpm, 340 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm
Compression ratio: 10.5:1
Fuel requirement: 91 octane

DRIVETRAIN
Rear-wheel drive
Transmission: Five-speed automatic
Final drive ratio: 3.357:1

CHASSIS
Unibody four-door sedan

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase: 114.2 in
Track (front/rear): 60.2/60.8 in
Length/width/height: 192.6/70.8/59.5 in
Curb weight/GVWR: 3995/5053 lbs

SUSPENSION
Front: Double wishbone with coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar
Rear: Multilink with coil springs, gas-charged shock absorbers, antiroll bar

BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES
Vented discs front and rear, ABS with EBD; aluminum 245/40R-19 Bridgestone Potenza RE 050A

CAPACITIES
Fuel: 20.0 gal
Cargo: 14.9 cu ft

OPTIONS AS TESTED
Technology package, with Bose studio surround sound system, navigation system, intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning system, XM satellite radio, audio/video input jacks ($4,200); journey package, with rearview monitor, pre-crash seatbelts, compass, Homelink ($1,700)

STANDING-START ACCELERATION
0-60 mph: 5.95 sec
0-100 km/h (62.1 mph): 6.33 sec
0-quarter-mile: 14.54 sec @ 97.7 mph

ROLLING ACCELERATION
20-40 mph (first gear): 2.0 sec
40-60 mph (second gear): 2.7 sec
60-80 mph (third gear): 4.1 sec

BRAKING
60 mph-0: 120 ft

HANDLING
490-foot slalom: 44.5 mph
Lateral acceleration (200-foot skidpad): 0.84 g

FUEL MILEAGE
EPA combined: 19.26 mpg
AW overall: 18.21 mpg

INTERIOR NOISE (dBA)
Idle: 46
Max first gear: 72
Steady 60 mph: 63
Old 08-15-05, 10:53 AM
gs430jw
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike we needed another comparison
Old 08-15-05, 11:14 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Why is it that car magazines never do comparison tests by using the cars as they were intended....commuting to work on crowded freeways, running errands and occasionally getting it out on the road for a little R&R? It seems the only criteria that matters in these reviews is how fast it can circle a track or avoid traffic cones. These are fast and comfortable luxury-sport sedans, so the "comfortable" should mean as much as the "sport".
Old 08-15-05, 11:44 AM
dlomshek
Rookie

Default Omitted coverage

I would agree that evaluating autos by looking only at track/performance data is misleading.

Did you notice how there weren't any comments about fuel economy other than chart data showing
a significant edge to Lexus. Did you also notice no verbal mention of noise levels.

Comparos of this type leave me cold. The tests are not comprehensive and thus to me are
of little value.
Old 08-15-05, 12:06 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repost.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174549 (and the thread ended up locked )
Old 08-15-05, 12:21 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Not really a repost since no online link was available in that thread, plus you can't add this newly available link if it's locked
Old 08-15-05, 12:23 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MikeP
Why is it that car magazines never do comparison tests by using the cars as they were intended....commuting to work on crowded freeways, running errands and occasionally getting it out on the road for a little R&R? It seems the only criteria that matters in these reviews is how fast it can circle a track or avoid traffic cones. These are fast and comfortable luxury-sport sedans, so the "comfortable" should mean as much as the "sport".

How dull would that be? These are magazines for car enthusiasts. Based on the above what sets these cars apart from a Honda Accord?

Notice the first lines of the article.
"But that’s only three-quarters of the story, because the car that is a surprising amount of fun to drive at the track is also an excellent commuter and long-distance autobahner."
Old 08-15-05, 12:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomshek
I would agree that evaluating autos by looking only at track/performance data is misleading.

Did you notice how there weren't any comments about fuel economy other than chart data showing
a significant edge to Lexus. Did you also notice no verbal mention of noise levels.

Comparos of this type leave me cold. The tests are not comprehensive and thus to me are
of little value.
They have already addressed that I think, they didn't say their pick is like Gospel that anybody has to agree with, it's just an evaluation based on their criteria, not everybody else's . . .
Buyers who are never going to push their luxury sedans as hard as we do, and who like the greater isolation and the extra brake and steering assist of the Lexus, might disagree.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 08-15-05 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-15-05, 12:32 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmethySC
Not really a repost since no online link was available in that thread, plus you can't add this newly available link if it's locked
Ahh true. Sorry for some reason I got the impression that the link was already provided in that thread as well. Well, let's hope this thread can fare better then.

Personally I don't have much to add besides agreeing that it's all about preferences, i.e. refinement vs. raw power. Most car magazines obviously prefer the latter.
Old 08-15-05, 05:45 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

*sits back and grabs something to drink*
Old 08-15-05, 06:15 PM
yaro1
Lead Lap

Ugh! Another one! Lexus is taking a Hammering from the Mags!

Nonetheless, there is no substitute for the Lexus experience. Period. I am not changing my mind.

I am so biased, I could care less about the reviews. But at least I am in the right place to be Lexus-biased!

I find it entertaining watching the car mags to try to find things wrong with the Lexus. It appears as though the only things that they could jump on are the electronic nannies (which I personally like), lack of performance in comparison, and.... (go ahead magazines, keep trying. You know you're coming up empty)

Old 08-15-05, 06:22 PM
costanza
Pole Position

Who cares what these reviewers think? These are not sports cars! These are sporty looking luxury sedans. Our GS300 is usually driven by my wife with our 2 daughters in the car. The more safety features the BETTER!!!!
Old 08-15-05, 06:27 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

MikeP i agree with you about the M45 performance spec, that car is just awesome, and at $58k the m has more of everything then the 06 GS430 at $60k somethin fully loaded. I want the M45 so bad that i can taste it, But my hope is with the GS 460 so i can wait, and if lexus doesn't deliever then hello M.
Old 08-15-05, 06:52 PM
LexFather

We just discussed this.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174549