GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Change NAV destionation while in motion

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 10:10 AM
ronaldo38
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav Disclaimer Override

The override technique does not work on my '04 RX330 .
I know how to get to the Diagnostic Screen (see below), but I can't
find an "Override" button anywhere on that or subsequent screens. Same
for the Volume screen.
If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Here's how to get to the Diagnostic Screen on 04 RX330:
Ignition or Acc On
Hit "I Agree" at the Disclaimer
Press "Display"
On the Display Screen press the top left corner, just below the word
"Display"
Then press the bottom left, just above the Minus Sign
Do this three times, then the Service Check mode comes on.
Wait a few moments for the diagnostics to complete.
There are some interesting screens in this section.

Careful if you do this while driving. Be aware that it disables the
radio (and maybe the A/C, I can't recall). Also, I know of no way to
get out of this Diagnostic mode other than turning off the ignition.

If anyone can figure out how to override the nav disclaimer on this car, maybe using some of the above "Easter Egg" info, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-25-06, 08:11 PM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does not work on '06 IS350.
Old 06-27-06, 09:56 AM
elessar
Driver School Candidate

It works on my wife's new RX 350. Just tried it yesterday: Menu -> Volume -> top left -> bottom left -> top left -> bottom left -> "secret" screen appears -> hold down "override" for a few seconds until it beeps & stays highlighted.

For the people that aren't getting it to work, are you always hitting the same spots in the corners? It didn't work the first time my wife tried it, but it looked to me like she wasn't hitting the "exact" corners of the sceen. It works every time I do it, and she can do it now as well.

Another thing I think I read in another thread here... someone mentioned that it wasn't working on their car, which was manufactured in Japan. Our RX is made in Canada, and I think a few of the people who've said that it works for them, have cars assembled in the US. For those of you who can't do it, are your cars made in Japan? FYI, a quick way to tell is if your VIN number starts with a J (Japan), 1 (USA) or 2 (Canada).
Old 06-27-06, 11:48 AM
gmeardi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sexi_Lexi
Does not work on '06 IS350.
Doesn't work on my Italian IS 220d (Luxury + Nav/ML), either.
Old 06-27-06, 01:16 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by ronaldo38
The override technique does not work on my '04 RX330 .
I know how to get to the Diagnostic Screen (see below), but I can't
find an "Override" button anywhere on that or subsequent screens. Same
for the Volume screen.
If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Here's how to get to the Diagnostic Screen on 04 RX330:
Ignition or Acc On
Press "Display"
"Display"
There are some interesting screens in this section.

Careful if you do this while driving. Be aware that it disables the
radio (and maybe the A/C, I can't recall). Also, I know of no way to
get out of this Diagnostic mode other than turning off the ignition.

If anyone can figure out how to override the nav disclaimer on this car, maybe using some of the above "Easter Egg" info, I would appreciate it.
ronaldo - you are getting into the wrong screen. on the 04 RX330, this is what you do:

- Hit Menu
- Select DVD to look at your DVD info
- On the DVD version screen, hit top left, bottom left, top left, bottom left, bottom RIGHT
- Select Override and HOLD for a few seconds until lit
- Go back

the caviat on the Gen 3 Navigation that is different from Gen 4 and Gen 5 is that you must be stopped to access the DVD version info screen. you cannot access it while in motion. so you have to perform this override before you take off when you anticipate needing it while in motion. it's still a great override, i use it any time i am getting ready to go somewhere that i'm not entirely familiar with. good luck!

elessar - there is no difference between the canadian or japanese built cars. the nav units are all by the same manufacturer and do the same functions; both on Lexus and Toyota models.

Sexi_Lexi - you should keep trying it on your IS - it will work, just have to give it a few tries.
Old 06-27-06, 01:27 PM
knicker
Pole Position

why is it that you have to reset it every time you turn the car on and off????
Old 06-27-06, 01:51 PM
elessar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexuslover
elessar - there is no difference between the canadian or japanese built cars. the nav units are all by the same manufacturer and do the same functions; both on Lexus and Toyota models.
Gotcha. I was just thinking that maybe there's some stricter regulation for the ones made in Japan. Total speculation, but I remember reading some posts where people were getting concerned that Lexus was catching onto the fact that the "override" trick had become public knowledge, and were re-flashing the more recent nav units to disable it or change the way it's accessed by their technicians. I was worried that our brand new (< 1 week) RX would have it disabled, until I tried it last night and it worked. Then I remembered a poster in Italy (I believe) who said it wasn't working on his car, so that led me to think of the possibility that cars manufactured in different countries might have to follow different rules. Like I said, pure speculation, but I was curious to see where the cars owned by the folks who can't do it were assembled.
Old 06-27-06, 02:11 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by knicker
why is it that you have to reset it every time you turn the car on and off????
well it's basically a temporary override function that was designed for service use i believe. since it is not exactly designed for us to find out

the only way to permanently disable it would be to cut the speed sensing wire to the display, but based on the information i've read over the years on this forum, doing so also results in the nav getting lost since those wires are one in the same... i am not sure if anyone has ventured into another try at a permanent solution that works.
Old 06-27-06, 02:14 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by elessar
Gotcha. I was just thinking that maybe there's some stricter regulation for the ones made in Japan. Total speculation, but I remember reading some posts where people were getting concerned that Lexus was catching onto the fact that the "override" trick had become public knowledge, and were re-flashing the more recent nav units to disable it or change the way it's accessed by their technicians. I was worried that our brand new (< 1 week) RX would have it disabled, until I tried it last night and it worked. Then I remembered a poster in Italy (I believe) who said it wasn't working on his car, so that led me to think of the possibility that cars manufactured in different countries might have to follow different rules. Like I said, pure speculation, but I was curious to see where the cars owned by the folks who can't do it were assembled.
oh i see - that is a good point. i really hope the nav mfr doesn't get rid of the override - i am spoiled now that i know how to do it, and it would be hard to go back!!
Old 06-27-06, 03:49 PM
elessar
Driver School Candidate

oh i see - that is a good point. i really hope the nav mfr doesn't get rid of the override - i am spoiled now that i know how to do it, and it would be hard to go back!!
Agreed! I'm spoiled and I've only known about the hack for a day.
Old 06-28-06, 11:16 AM
knicker
Pole Position

well it's basically a temporary override function that was designed for service use i believe. since it is not exactly designed for us to find out

the only way to permanently disable it would be to cut the speed sensing wire to the display, but based on the information i've read over the years on this forum, doing so also results in the nav getting lost since those wires are one in the same... i am not sure if anyone has ventured into another try at a permanent solution that works.

That seems logical........I think its terrible that there is not a permenant way to go about it but hey........what the heck. Still love the car!!!!!!
Old 06-28-06, 10:40 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

VVT-i has already done it. He put a toggle switch on the wire to the speed sensor. When he wants to enter info in the nav or use any of the functions that requires your car to be stopped, you flip the toggle switch and the car thinks it's not moving. After you've input your destination, you flip the switch back. Here's the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160

People on the Infiniti forums have been doing this to their G35s and M35/45s for a while now too. It's really a shame that this is even needed. on all Hondas and Acuras, you have full access to all functions at all times regardless of whether the car is moving or stopped. If they are able to get around the legal issues in allowing this with their basic disclaimer screen, I don't see why Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti can't or won't do the same.
Old 06-29-06, 09:34 AM
elessar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
VVT-i has already done it. He put a toggle switch on the wire to the speed sensor. When he wants to enter info in the nav or use any of the functions that requires your car to be stopped, you flip the toggle switch and the car thinks it's not moving. After you've input your destination, you flip the switch back. Here's the thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160

People on the Infiniti forums have been doing this to their G35s and M35/45s for a while now too. It's really a shame that this is even needed. on all Hondas and Acuras, you have full access to all functions at all times regardless of whether the car is moving or stopped. If they are able to get around the legal issues in allowing this with their basic disclaimer screen, I don't see why Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti can't or won't do the same.
This is true, but there seems to be a trade-off. On my Acura TL, you have to wait a lot longer before the "OK" button comes up on the initial Nav screen, so that you can dismiss the warning about using the system while driving. Hard to say which is more annoying... I would say the Acura's long start-up time, now that I know the Lexus "hack" to enable the Nav controls - even though you have to do it every time you start the car. My only reservation is that the Lexus hack doesn't also enable the full phone controls. But since Acura only lets you use their spotty voice recognition to dial phone numbers in the first place, I'd still take the Lexus system any day. I wish I had the brass cajones to try the hard-wired-switch solution, but for now I think I'll stick to the software work-around.

Last edited by elessar; 06-29-06 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-29-06, 10:04 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Does not work on the ES350

The Rev 5 NAV software on the ES350 operates differently. As renaldo38 stated earlier the diagnostic screen entry is accomplished by:

Ignition or Acc On
Press "Display"
"Display"

Unfortunately, there is no override function here.
Old 06-29-06, 01:55 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by dreyfus
The Rev 5 NAV software on the ES350 operates differently. As renaldo38 stated earlier the diagnostic screen entry is accomplished by:

Ignition or Acc On
Press "Display"
"Display"

Unfortunately, there is no override function here.
i don't think that's the right menu, the diag menu is different from the one you are trying to access. and ronaldo has the 04 RX with Gen 3 nav (totally different from Gen 5). i can vouch for the instructions i posted above on my 04 RX. i don't know exactly how it works on the ES350, but i can say that ppl in the 2nd Gen IS forum have done it and it should be the same as the 07 ES.

Quick Reply: Change NAV destionation while in motion