GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Change NAV destionation while in motion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 07:07 PM
bigzip
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck E55! ...and thanks for the Nav tip.
Old 07-11-05, 07:41 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by E55_POWER
Good luck guys and hope this was of any help. I'm getting a BMW 750Li and replacing the GS300. You guys are bunch of good folks, better than most forums (except the race forum here, I swear they never lose )

I think this was the shorterst I've owned a car, I will miss the touch screen Nav though.

Good luck everyone, back to German I go
Sorry to see you go
Thanks for the nav tip and please post pictures of the 750 Li. As a minority here, I like the 7 series alot
Do stop by and let us know how the 7is
Old 07-12-05, 12:53 AM
claudioc66
Driver School Candidate

Default Tried on European GS430 and does not work

Any indications for my European model (2005)?
Thanks,
Claudio
Old 07-15-05, 06:06 PM
jslr.2
Driver School Candidate

Default Doesn't work on 2004 470GX

Just tried it. Didn't work. (No speaker icon on the Sound page):
Old 07-16-05, 09:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jslr.2
Just tried it. Didn't work. (No speaker icon on the Sound page):
Yeah, it will work so far on the 2005 systems only
Old 07-22-05, 11:27 AM
Quant
Driver School Candidate

E55_POWER,

Just curious: why are you moving to the 750, and why was the GS the shortest ownership you had?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-05, 07:42 PM
E55_POWER
Rookie

Originally Posted by Quant
E55_POWER,

Just curious: why are you moving to the 750, and why was the GS the shortest ownership you had?

Thanks.

Well, there are several reasons.

Not trying to start a flame war here.

The GS, while EXTREMELY reliable, I found it just as boring to drive. The car has no "soul" for me. The power was lacking, but that's what I get for getting a 300 I guess instead of a 430. But at the time of purchase I had the option for the 430 but coming from a CL55K the power wasn't a big priority and also I told myself if I was to get a RWD V8 and midsize, I would get the 545 SMG or even another E55. The car's keyless system was very annoying and very inconvenient in terms of getting out of the car while the car is running and trying to open any other doors, even with the key fob and it wouldn't open and ended up getting soak and wet once over this. The trunk has no lighting when opened and the interior's dome or night light is too dim. Although I figured out how to override the Navi, nothing else can be over ridden. One feature I was looking forward to was the MP3 player but only to find out it doesn't play any MP3s. The DVD audio was cool since I put so many songs but you can't play the DVD audio while in motion. You have to come to a complete stop, hit the P brake, and hit play. But mainly power was the key reason.

Now for plus - Navi HUGE plus but that's a gimme since Lexus Nav rocks. The Sound System is AWESOME, the AWD seemed to work better than that of my Audi RS6, felt more balanced. Braking was pretty good (hated the drive by wire crap in the GS430 - I had enough in the E500 and E55 - I thought it was crap). Car looks sleek and aggressive in the front (rear could use some work). But there weren't enough pluses to offset the minuses.

It was very difficult going from German to Japanese, I don't know what it is but the drive it totally different. Closest feel was the IS, but car is too small for my taste.

I'm looking forward to the next Gen LX (wife loved our last 2, but needed easy access to 3rd row seat and ofcourse, more power).

I still have the GS...my 750 is not here yet. Was quite surprised at the resale value though. Didn't think I would ever lose $9K that fast on a Lexus
Old 07-26-05, 07:45 PM
E55_POWER
Rookie

Oh, also forgot to ad...

Got tired of getting beat up by just about every Import V6 out there Damn, didn't know the TL was THAT much faster than my car.
Old 07-26-05, 09:41 PM
Ex996
Lead Lap

The car's keyless system was very annoying and very inconvenient in terms of getting out of the car while the car is running and trying to open any other doors, even with the key fob and it wouldn't open and ended up getting soak and wet once over this.

Just have to hit the door unlock switch on the door handle...

The trunk has no lighting when opened and the interior's dome or night light is too dim.

Yes, the interior lighting, while cool, is simply too dim. However, did you know the light on the inside of the trunk has a switch? Yours is probably off.

I figured out how to override the Navi, nothing else can be over ridden. One feature I was looking forward to was the MP3 player but only to find out it doesn't play any MP3s. The DVD audio was cool since I put so many songs but you can't play the DVD audio while in motion. You have to come to a complete stop, hit the P brake, and hit play. But mainly power was the key reason.

Yep, definitely need some wire cutting to get the electronic leashes removed. Damn lawyers.

It was very difficult going from German to Japanese, I don't know what it is but the drive it totally different. Closest feel was the IS, but car is too small for my taste.

I feel you, dog. Good luck with the 750. Amazing ride, and I probably have 6 or 8 buddies that have 745's, and half of them had electrical problems, so keep an eye on that.
Old 07-27-05, 06:27 AM
E55_POWER
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ex996
I feel you, dog. Good luck with the 750. Amazing ride, and I probably have 6 or 8 buddies that have 745's, and half of them had electrical problems, so keep an eye on that.

Haha! You know, it's sad that I'm already expecting the car to have problems.

I guess after owning X amount of German cars, I'm actually ok with going to the shop at least 6 times a year...so sad ain't it!

Good Luck everyone, you have an overall amazing car (just didn't do it for me).
Old 07-27-05, 10:55 AM
bunka
Lead Lap

Good luck guys and hope this was of any help. I'm getting a BMW 750Li and replacing the GS300. You guys are bunch of good folks, better than most forums (except the race forum here, I swear they never lose )

I think this was the shorterst I've owned a car, I will miss the touch screen Nav though.

Good luck everyone, back to German I go
Hmm, Seems like a big jump to go to a 750 instead of the 745. Any particular reason? I have a TL which has been great but my wife wants more room. We had a 740iL (1997) in the past and a friend of mine is the area mfg rep for BMW. Says he can get me into dealer rep (or custoemr returned) 745Li for a song. I am thinking about it but would like to get some input from you on the logic behind going to the 750. I LIKE torque but don't wnat to spend any more cash than is necessary.
Old 07-27-05, 01:19 PM
E55_POWER
Rookie

Originally Posted by bunka
Hmm, Seems like a big jump to go to a 750 instead of the 745. Any particular reason? I have a TL which has been great but my wife wants more room. We had a 740iL (1997) in the past and a friend of mine is the area mfg rep for BMW. Says he can get me into dealer rep (or custoemr returned) 745Li for a song. I am thinking about it but would like to get some input from you on the logic behind going to the 750. I LIKE torque but don't wnat to spend any more cash than is necessary.

The 745 is discontinued and replaced with 750i. The replaced the 4.4L with 4.8L. The reason I want the 750 over a used 745 is the cosmetic changes done on the 750, bluetooth, CD Changer plays MP3s, rear Entertainment system (TV in the back for the kids), Sports Package and Luxury seating option on the 750 (not sure if it was avai on the 745 as a combo), but mainly the looks of the rear end. The power felt about the same, not noticeable to me.

BTW, if you don't mind sharing how much can you get a 745Li for?
Old 07-27-05, 01:29 PM
bunka
Lead Lap

The 745 is discontinued and replaced with 750i. The replaced the 4.4L with 4.8L. The reason I want the 750 over a used 745 is the cosmetic changes done on the 750, bluetooth, CD Changer plays MP3s, rear Entertainment system (TV in the back for the kids), Sports Package and Luxury seating option on the 750 (not sure if it was avai on the 745 as a combo), but mainly the looks of the rear end. The power felt about the same, not noticeable to me.

BTW, if you don't mind sharing how much can you get a 745Li for?
The 03's are suppose to be the deal as they ALL come with 100K warrantys (due to the problems the earlier model 03 and 02's had). I "just missed" getting one of those with 40K miles for $39,000. The only thing now available are a few 04's. I don't yet know the figures on those yet though. Each deal is kind of a "one-off" since he never knows what he's going to get or what they have to do to them to put them back into circulation. It's not something I can offer others on this board. Rather, it's simply a personal relationship.
Old 07-27-05, 02:41 PM
Tony
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default E55

Hey E55 I just ordered a 750IL, I was going to get a E55 vs GS430 but after driving the GS several times I didnt like the trunk and the amount of space. The E55 has great power and space but does not handle as good as I like. I used to own an M3 so its tough to beat that car in handling. Anyways I put money down on 750IL like you. I hope all the main bugs were worked out of the software but I doubt it.
Old 07-27-05, 05:25 PM
dandd2
Lead Lap

does this modification by pass the warning screen that pops up in the beginning?
i was wondering if such a modification was made and the car was taken to the dealership for an oil change or something if the warning sign doesnt come up do you think the employees at the dealership inquire why the warning sign does not come up therfore voiding the warrenty?
just a hypotheical situation that i was considering before i did this mod..

Quick Reply: Change NAV destionation while in motion