GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Question about LED cabin light on shifter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-05, 03:28 PM
spudd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about LED cabin light on shifter.

Does anyone know if the LED light that shines on the shifter is suppose to stay on while driving? It's even on during broad daylight. I find it a little annoying. TIA.
Old 05-29-05, 03:55 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Yes, it's always on. I don't see how anyone could find it annoying, especially in daylight when it isn't really visible.
Old 05-29-05, 04:13 PM
spudd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jwaters
Yes, it's always on. I don't see how anyone could find it annoying, especially in daylight when it isn't really visible.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I do find it annoying. I don't see any reason for it to stay on (what purpose does it serve?), and I do notice it sometimes when I'm driving (both during the day and at night). It's almost like designing the light in the trunk or glove compartment to stay on at all times. Sure, you don't see it, but, imo, that doesn't make it right. Also, you bring up an interesting point, if people don't notice it during the daylight, then why have it on? Couldn't the Lexus/Toyota engineers have wired that light to go/stay on with the headlights? Ok, I'm done ranting....only fault I can find with the car.

Last edited by spudd; 05-29-05 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-29-05, 04:25 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spudd
Thanks. Unfortunately, I do find it annoying. I don't see any reason for it to stay on (what purpose does it serve?), and I do notice it sometimes when I'm driving (both during the day and at night). It's almost like designing the light in the trunk or glove compartment to stay on at all times. Sure, you don't see it, but, imo, that doesn't make it right. Also, you bring up an interesting point, if people don't notice it during the daylight, then why have it on? Couldn't the Lexus/Toyota engineers have wired that light to go/stay on with the headlights? Ok, I'm done ranting....only fault I can find with the car.
Its an ambient light, not intended to light up the car. Its supposed to give a nice touch/feel to the cabin. If you find it annoying, (first time I’ve heard this) then have your dealership uninstall those lights. By the way, I’m TRYING to install these exact lights in my LS, except in orange, or green. Gives the wood a great glow.

Anyone know where I can get some great pre-wired LED’s for this project?
Old 05-29-05, 04:26 PM
jwaters
Pole Position

Thanks. Unfortunately, I do find it annoying. I don't see any reason for it to stay on (what purpose does it serve?), and I do notice it sometimes when I'm driving (both during the day and at night). It's almost like designing the light in the trunk or glove compartment to stay on at all times. Sure, you don't see it, but, imo, that doesn't make it right.
Ughh, some people just love to b*tch I guess. If it really bugs you that much then by all means cover it with a small piece of tape or permenently disable it. Many cars (BMWs, Audis, Acuras, etc.) have used this same type of interior ambient lighting for years now without complaints from owners. It's fairly faint and in no way comparable to a trunk or glove compartment light. For most drivers, it isn't bright enough to be distracting IMHO. The ambient light itself is merely a very dim and tightly focused area of light over the center console area. If you drop some change or other small object or if you are changing C.D.'s it is easier to see without turning on the much brighter overhead map lights.
Old 05-29-05, 07:10 PM
spudd
Driver School Candidate

Ughh, some people just love to b*tch I guess. If it really bugs you that much then by all means cover it with a small piece of tape or permenently disable it. Many cars (BMWs, Audis, Acuras, etc.) have used this same type of interior ambient lighting for years now without complaints from owners. It's fairly faint and in no way comparable to a trunk or glove compartment light. For most drivers, it isn't bright enough to be distracting IMHO. The ambient light itself is merely a very dim and tightly focused area of light over the center console area. If you drop some change or other small object or if you are changing C.D.'s it is easier to see without turning on the much brighter overhead map lights.
Somehow I knew that first line was coming. No, I rarely complain, I was just asking a question because I thought something didn't feel right/defective. I felt the light should go off after the car starts, or at the very least, stay off during the day. To be honest, I didn't think much of this until somebody else brought it to my attention. So, no...I don't think I'm a nitpicker (I don't try to find fault in things). Guess it's too much to expect an off and on switch for the light. Excuse me for "complaining" and asking a question. I will shutup now, since dissent against Lexus' designers is frowned upon on this forum.
Old 05-29-05, 08:07 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somehow I knew that first line was coming. No, I rarely complain, I was just asking a question because I thought something didn't feel right/defective. I felt the light should go off after the car starts, or at the very least, stay off during the day. To be honest, I didn't think much of this until somebody else brought it to my attention. So, no...I don't think I'm a nitpicker (I don't try to find fault in things). Guess it's too much to expect an off and on switch for the light. Excuse me for "complaining" and asking a question. I will shutup now, since dissent against Lexus' designers is frowned upon on this forum.
Don't worry about it Spudd. Everytime something new is introduced, chances are 50% of the people will love it, the other 50% will hate it. Considering that there are many people here who have tried to install "ambient lighting" into their cars that don't have this feature (me included), your comment about wanting to have it off will make many here feel like you are not appreciating what Lexus is trying to do. Heck, you are in a Lexus forum after all.

I am sure the ambient lighting that came with your car is probably installed after numerous customer surveys and whatnot. The general consensus probably agrees that adding the "ambient lighting" into the new GS will bring about a touch of elegance and feel. I for one can be sure that I would love love love to have that feature.
Old 05-29-05, 08:25 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Spudd: Please continue to express any concerns, likes or dislikes about the current GS. There is nothing wrong about expressing your feelings here on CL. Everyone will have a different opinion about a feature or modification on the new GS...Keep on posting man.
Old 05-29-05, 08:53 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excuse me for "complaining" and asking a question. I will shutup now, since dissent against Lexus' designers is frowned upon on this forum.
Only one person responded strongly towards your observation. The rest just expressed their opinion the same way you expressed yours.

Please do not lump one person's response with the whole forum. Don't let the reply sour you of CL in general.

I agree with LXOGOOD. I saw nothing wrong with your opinion (and your expression of the opinion) of the light. You also have to keep in mind that there will be people who agree with you and there will be others who do not.
Old 05-29-05, 09:15 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Bro, Its your car, you can even hate your HID's and replace them with flashlights. No one can tell you what to like, and what not to complain about. So dont worry about it. I just wanted to explain why these lights are there. You can have them come on with the parking lights instead of the ignition.

Relax.
Old 05-29-05, 09:21 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe im the only one who understands what hes trying to say. He doesnt hate the ambient light he hates the fact that it stays on the whole time even in broad daylight. There should be a light sensor somwhere that controls the lights. Maybe yours is defective. I dont see why lexus would just leave it all the time when you start the car. Sure its led and doesnt drwa alot of current but it will burn out sooner than if it was hooked up to only come on at night.
Old 05-30-05, 06:23 AM
jwaters
Pole Position

Listen, I'm sorry if I was a bit of a jerk before. Please don't stop posting on my account. I just find it a little funny when people complain about "features" of any particular car after they've purchased the vehicle. I mean, the LEDs were on when you test-drove the vehicle right? I know it's likely that you missed them on your test drive, but if they really are as distracting and noticable as you say then you should have seen them, no? Besides, this should have been detailed by your salesperson (if not, they didn't do a very thorough job IMHO). In addition this should all be explained in your Owners Manual.

Either way, good luck w/ your new GS!
Old 05-30-05, 09:16 AM
spudd
Driver School Candidate

Listen, I'm sorry if I was a bit of a jerk before. Please don't stop posting on my account. I just find it a little funny when people complain about "features" of any particular car after they've purchased the vehicle. I mean, the LEDs were on when you test-drove the vehicle right? I know it's likely that you missed them on your test drive, but if they really are as distracting and noticable as you say then you should have seen them, no? Besides, this should have been detailed by your salesperson (if not, they didn't do a very thorough job IMHO). In addition this should all be explained in your Owners Manual.

Either way, good luck w/ your new GS!
Sorry if I got worked up. I apologize, but I thought I was just expressing my opinion (not complaining) and felt I was personally attacked for it. However, that was no reason to lump on CL members together. I'm sorry. To answer your questions: I didn't see the light was on because there was no car available to test drive the day I stopped by the dealer to order the car. Basically, I bought/ordered my car sight unseen. Yes, I put that much faith in Lexus. I could have stopped by anytime during then to test drive it, but I wasn't even considering any other car. Even if I did test drove it, I would have probably missed it like you said. Like I mentioned earlier, it didn't bother me until people (more than 2) brought it to my attention. I guess it's their fault , and I guess my salesperson could have told me it stayed on without a test drive; but then again it's a minor detail that could have been overlooked. To be honest, it doesn't bother me to the point where I have to take drastic measures or any at all. It's like an itch the flares up occationally (esp. when people mention it), but like life, it's one of those little nuances you have to live with. Imagine a world where people like/prefer the same thing, pretty boring, eh? Thanks for your reply, and I'm thrilled with my car. Let's just put this thread to rest.
Old 05-30-05, 10:06 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love this place and its members.
Old 05-30-05, 01:00 PM
LexFather

I can feel the love...

Quick Reply: Question about LED cabin light on shifter.