GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Question about LED cabin light on shifter.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-05, 01:57 PM
jyg es3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes but on bmw leds are only on a night

Originally Posted by jwaters
Ughh, some people just love to b*tch I guess. If it really bugs you that much then by all means cover it with a small piece of tape or permenently disable it. Many cars (BMWs, Audis, Acuras, etc.) have used this same type of interior ambient lighting for years now without complaints from owners. It's fairly faint and in no way comparable to a trunk or glove compartment light. For most drivers, it isn't bright enough to be distracting IMHO. The ambient light itself is merely a very dim and tightly focused area of light over the center console area. If you drop some change or other small object or if you are changing C.D.'s it is easier to see without turning on the much brighter overhead map lights.
, .Seems another cost cutting measure, same as glove box that lights only when lights are one, Should be that way for overheqad lights
Old 05-30-05, 02:00 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by jyg es3
, .Seems another cost cutting measure, same as glove box that lights only when lights are one, Should be that way for overheqad lights
There are in addition to the ambient lighting, it's called maplights.
Old 05-30-05, 02:24 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This may sound way too low-tech but those small GS cabin lights...wouldn't a tastefully-cut piece of electric tape cover it?
Old 05-31-05, 03:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jyg es3
lol, so it is bad that glove box lights only when lights are on, but led should light only when lights are on?

Your posts have stopped making sense long time ago.

As to the "problem", it seems more like psychological one - by no means that LED light is not noticable or distracting, however it seems that the original poster had issue with the fact that he knew that it is on nevertheless.

Personally, adding an sensor that controls itty bitty led light of no great purpose is bad engineering. Thats why MB pulled off over 600 electronic functions from 2004 E class.
Old 05-31-05, 06:58 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Personally, adding an sensor that controls itty bitty led light of no great purpose is bad engineering.
BMW has been using LEDs for years, and they only come on when the lights come on. Honestly, why have them on in total daylight when they can't be seen shining down, the whole reason for them being there!! At least BMW had orange lights, Lexus uses white which is totally useless in daylight.
Old 05-31-05, 10:41 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
As to the "problem", it seems more like psychological one - by no means that LED light is not noticable or distracting
lol, i am still trying to figure out how/why the passengers even noticed it. i haven't noticed it myself in 2 1/2 months, and i consider myself to be pretty picky about the details.
Old 06-01-05, 05:03 AM
shimmers
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like having the light on but you can configure it to turn off as well.

It's controlled by the interior light dial on the left control panel (one that folds out). When you press MAX, it will maximize the dash control lights and will also turn on the LED light on the top above the shift ****. Now use the buttons to dim the dashboard control lights - press once and it will dim and also turn off the LED light. Press up once and it will brighten the dashboard control lights a little and also turn on the LED light - this is the setting I like because it's not as bright as MAX setting but it will also keep the LED light on.

Enjoy!
Old 06-01-05, 08:31 AM
AZBuyer
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to program the LED above the steering wheel to stay on? The back lights on the steering wheel buttons could be a bit brighter IMO>
Old 06-01-05, 12:02 PM
GSsnarl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslover
lol, i am still trying to figure out how/why the passengers even noticed it. i haven't noticed it myself in 2 1/2 months, and i consider myself to be pretty picky about the details.
Still trying to figure out why the passengers even noticed it?
I remember the first thing I wanted check out when I went to see the GS was the Light Blue LED. Why? because they are AMAZING, everybody is talking about them and they have a great effect on the cars' interior during the dark. I personally didnt find the LEDs to be distracting at all during the day, in fact I only noticed them when I put my hand under them (did that like a million times, and everytime I do it, I smile and be like "wow dude" or "oooooh yeeaaa").
Old 06-01-05, 01:25 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Originally Posted by GSsnarl
Still trying to figure out why the passengers even noticed it?
I remember the first thing I wanted check out when I went to see the GS was the Light Blue LED. Why? because they are AMAZING, everybody is talking about them and they have a great effect on the cars' interior during the dark. I personally didnt find the LEDs to be distracting at all during the day, in fact I only noticed them when I put my hand under them (did that like a million times, and everytime I do it, I smile and be like "wow dude" or "oooooh yeeaaa").
I'll have to admit that the first time I took my GS out at night (sorry -- test drove during day time), I was stunned at the awesome lighting that is done in the cabin -- kinda like a combination of theatre lighting in a movie theatre's floors + cockpit lighting in an aircraft.. Very nice effect if you ask me..
Old 06-01-05, 02:28 PM
gs430jw
Pole Position

One of the best parts of the car is the lighting. Also at night when you walk up next to the car the steering wheel and side lights go on. It's really cool