GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone notice this "feature"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-05, 02:23 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone notice this "feature"?

Try this in your new GS..

After driving from one place to another, put the vehicle in park (with the engine still running), then open the drivers door and then shutoff the engine.. You'll get a ding-ding-ding chime going off for some reason. Now, close the door (again, with the engine off still) and you'll hear some sort of solenoid or small motor doing something for a split-second after which the chime shuts off..

The sound is NOT the steering wheel moving out of the way as that was done when you opened the door.. Any ideas? Just an oddity I noticed..
Old 05-03-05, 03:02 PM
highmiles
Pole Position

Originally Posted by osx-addict
Try this in your new GS..

After driving from one place to another, put the vehicle in park (with the engine still running), then open the drivers door and then shutoff the engine.. You'll get a ding-ding-ding chime going off for some reason. Now, close the door (again, with the engine off still) and you'll hear some sort of solenoid or small motor doing something for a split-second after which the chime shuts off..

The sound is NOT the steering wheel moving out of the way as that was done when you opened the door.. Any ideas? Just an oddity I noticed..
I have noticed this and a number of other unexplained sounds tht clearly are doing something for a reason. There is another Thread talking about whether a certain sound is from the headlight or not.

There is so much new Technology in this car that we may never know what all the different sounds are. I guess we shouldn't worry until a new sound starts to develop
Old 05-04-05, 07:03 AM
shimmers
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another interesting sound comes from the rear of the car approximately 5 hours after the car is shutoff. Apparently it's the system cleaning the fuel lines or something. Interesting technology indeed...
Old 05-04-05, 09:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke (The best science fiction writer ever IMHO and an amazing scientist too).
Old 05-04-05, 09:49 AM
osx-addict
Driver

Originally Posted by shimmers
Another interesting sound comes from the rear of the car approximately 5 hours after the car is shutoff. Apparently it's the system cleaning the fuel lines or something. Interesting technology indeed...
Yeah, I read that on the sticker of a GS300 at a dealer lot just below the pricing sheet.. It's some sort of test to check that the fuel system is properly venting and runs ~5 hours after the car was shut off.. I don't think I'll wait around to see if it's timer is correct..
Old 05-04-05, 09:52 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by shimmers
That's a pretty awesome feature! WOW!
Old 05-05-05, 08:49 AM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osx-addict
Yeah, I read that on the sticker of a GS300 at a dealer lot just below the pricing sheet.. It's some sort of test to check that the fuel system is properly venting and runs ~5 hours after the car was shut off.. I don't think I'll wait around to see if it's timer is correct..
Wow, I have never heard of anything like that! I predict the next GS will drive itself
Old 05-05-05, 11:39 AM
BlkBuzzard
Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke (The best science fiction writer ever IMHO and an amazing scientist too).
Totally Agree...Arthur C. Clarke for US President 2008 please.
Old 05-06-05, 08:38 AM
osx-addict
Driver

Originally Posted by TheSupe87
Hmm, could be an alarm system sylenoid or something - cars have all kinds of weird noises, now that they're 95% computer and robotics....ha
You've got me.. The sound is definately in the dash though and I can get out (with it beeping) and close the door and lock it with no problem and the security light does come on indicating it's secure.. It's a bad habit for me and I did it yesterday when I came home from work.. I guess I'll have to change my habits..