GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone try a DVD in a M. Levinson equipped GS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-05, 09:53 AM
osx-addict
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone try a DVD in a M. Levinson equipped GS?

I had the chance to sit down and try some of the features of the car that I'd yet to try out before I bought it.. One of those was to actually plop in a DVD to better try out the surround sound system that is part of the M. Levinson audio package..

So, I popped in the Ice Age DVD (sorry -- had my two kids with me) and after figured out how to load it and get the video going properly, I was amazed at the audio quality in the car.. Needless to say, it's better (IMHO) than what I've got in my house! The surround (which really isn't used stressed too much with CDs or FM radio IMHO) really came alive with the DVD (and I'm sure most DVDs).. I could actually feel the seats rumble on some of the scenes with cracking ice, etc.. Very cool..

So, if you've not tried it, check it out.. Keep in mind that you'll need to have the parking brake engaged (just a little at least) and the car will need to be not moving. I kept the kids happy at the stop lights by just tapping the parking brake a little, enough to engage the picture but not to lock the brake.
Old 05-02-05, 10:01 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've played the DVD Insurrection (Star Trek) and Meet the Parents. Insurrection sounded amazing. The Suround sound is extremely good and the overall quality of the audio is crisp and clear while the bass does pound.

It is so much better than my GX. Course the GX lacks suround sound.
Old 05-02-05, 10:03 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Star Wars, Episode One

DVD: Star Wars, Episode One

Surround Effects: Awesome, explosive, rock yer world

People whom I have shown this demo are simply amazed at the ML system. George Lucas is one who does not skimp on surround effects, and you can truly hear and feel the aircraft passing on all sides and rear.
Old 05-02-05, 10:07 AM
osx-addict
Driver

Originally Posted by winsalem
DVD: Star Wars, Episode One

Surround Effects: Awesome, explosive, rock yer world

People whom I have shown this demo are simply amazed at the ML system. George Lucas is one who does not skimp on surround effects, and you can truly hear and feel the aircraft passing on all sides and rear.
Hmm.. I might have to make a trip home at lunch to P/U that DVD..
Old 05-02-05, 12:30 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Surround Sound is a lot of fun..

Remember to turn the volume down when you return to FM etc. as the DVD volume is set much lower. The regular CD's sound better to me with Surround off. What do you think? I now have to try the Star Wars DVD. We use the Lord of the Rings for demonstration and of course Gladiator. I like Minority Report chapter nine when they are using the kinetic shotgun blasters...It hits you right in the stomach with each blast...
Old 05-02-05, 12:32 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are so lucky, we don't get that feature here in Europe.
Old 05-02-05, 02:28 PM
osx-addict
Driver

Default ooohh.. Aaahhh..

I couldn't find my Star Wars DVDs so I used LOTR instead (the first one) and I knew I was doing good when I'm driving down the road listening (not viewing) the 1st chapter where the history of the ring is being explained and during the fight/war sequences, the rear view mirror was vibrating like it was going through an earth quake! Excellent sound, no doubt about it!