GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Saw the M and GS in a parking lot tonight

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-05, 10:29 PM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saw the M and GS in a parking lot tonight

Right across from one another - the M looks MUCH bigger from the rear, surprised me. It seems higher, and significantly wider. Is it? I'd imagine the M has much more trunk space then. Both are really beautiful cars, and we should consider ourselves lucky to be in a time with so many great selections.
Old 05-01-05, 05:32 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you shopping around for a new car. Did you narrow the search to the GS and the M?
Old 05-01-05, 07:02 AM
jjl12
Rookie

Default specs

the M is 3.4 inches taller but actually .9 inches narrower than the GS. In person, the M does look much taller than the GS. The M's trunk is 2.2 cubic feet bigger (12.7 v. 14.9 for the M), and in person, the trunk looks much bigger and more usable in the M, given the GS' odd t-shaped trunk.

but as they say, size isn't everything....
Old 05-01-05, 07:11 AM
teutonictr
Driver School Candidate

I'm going to be replacing my '03 E500 in the late fall - I like to do my research way ahead of time, narrow the field, then go test driving and see who will give me the best deal. Luckily the 'sports sedan' category is jam-packed with great stuff - the GS, M, 5-series, and possibly the CLS if they bring the price down or offer some incentive once the edgy design becomes more commonplace.
Old 05-01-05, 08:55 AM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

The M is definitely taller. This leads to its more generous headroom. Quite a few people have complained about the lack of headroom in the new GS.

On the other hand, the lower roofline of the GS gives it an awesome, very sporty looking profile. I love the profile of the GS, and I think the lower roofline is the main reason.
Old 05-01-05, 07:21 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

I have never seen the GS link being driven down the road yet, but in know what it looks like and i have seen tons of M35, no 45's yet, but in the rear, i like the M and the GS, but i feel that infiniti has some intresting light designs in the rear. like how the M's brake lights, its like a circle, i feel that cool, just like the G35 coupe rear lights. i think that way they done that was awesome. im sure i'll feel the same way once i see the GS one day. From the front, i cant tell which one i like better, i like projector headlamps, so the HS wins that for me, but i like a single headlight, like on the M for example, and crome grills goes it all for me, like the one on the infiniti M. In the inside, I like the M's dash mayout, but in a way its weird because it like the controls sit up, like literally up to high and u have to raise out out seat to see what your pressing, the GS has more od a simple layout, so i like that the best, but i dont like green backlighting to much, so the Infiniti i think read or orange lighting looks better for me. The infiniti doesnt have the good wood options like in the GS, the M only has redwood with the ivory and aluminum trim, with the black, but im sure u dont have to get black leather with only aluminum trim. and the seats in the infinti with the embrolled infiniti name in them i feel looks really awesome, especially with the black leather.

Well thats my two cents of what i feel about both models, in a nutshell, i like the GS a whole lot more, not because its a Lexus (being a Lexus counts for atlease 50%) but the looks, inside and out wins my comparasion between the Infiniti and Lexus

sorry of i went off topic, i was at the dealerships and sat in a PARKED m45 and GS300. I figured that both cars were parked so i could place my opinion on both models.
Old 05-01-05, 07:52 PM
NYlexus
Lead Lap

Saw a silver M45 with 19 or 20 chrome rims...I cannot get over the rear light setup of that car but other than that very very nice

Originally Posted by GS4fun
Are you shopping around for a new car. Did you narrow the search to the GS and the M?

hey dude i saw a RED MATADOR GS430 with stock CHROME GS430 rims(i think) on it by my house...I see in your sig that you have one on order (hay wait it sez 4/21 ).....my jaws dropped when i saw the car...it is simply stunning . I was in my 2GS at the light and a person literally had to beep behind me to move becuase i was mesmerized by the car ...I never knew that RED looked so HOT on the GS but an excellent choice. Cant wait to see pix.
Old 05-02-05, 12:22 PM
GS3rdwow
Lead Lap

I saw a a diamond graphite M35 sport with black interior on the road today.. MAN THAT CAR LOOKED SHARP!! Not a a bad sedan for $42000 MSRP!

The regular sedan without sport doesnt look that nice but the sport version is a SERIOUS SHOWSTOPPER!

It looked fantastic. I cant believe the 18s are standard on the regular sedan and 19s are standard on the sport version.

Dont get me wrong though - Im still in the market for an 06GS 300 RWD. minimal options - flint mica with black interior. and OEM 18s from the 430 or very similar.
Old 05-02-05, 12:34 PM
xravexboix
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teutonictr
I... and possibly the CLS if they bring the price down or offer some incentive once the edgy design becomes more commonplace.
The CLS is supposedly a limited production vehicle (for now) so don't count on that yet
Old 05-03-05, 01:46 AM
Xenthar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jrock65
The M is definitely taller. This leads to its more generous headroom. Quite a few people have complained about the lack of headroom in the new GS.

On the other hand, the lower roofline of the GS gives it an awesome, very sporty looking profile. I love the profile of the GS, and I think the lower roofline is the main reason.
I'd have to agree with those people saying the GS doesnt have alot of headroom. I'm not a tall guy...im only 5'9" and my head was less than an inch from the ceiling in the backseat of the GS. If the car hit a bump in the road, I would probably hit my head on the ceiling
Old 05-03-05, 08:18 AM
LexFather

I do agree the M has more headroom but it should, its a big slab sided car. 59" tall is taller than a LS, 7 series and S-class and other much bigger cars. I am 6"4 and the GS feels more like a sports sedan with the tilted dash and the smaller cockpit.
Old 05-03-05, 07:22 PM
tmds
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I do agree the M has more headroom but it should, its a big slab sided car. 59" tall is taller than a LS, 7 series and S-class and other much bigger cars. I am 6"4 and the GS feels more like a sports sedan with the tilted dash and the smaller cockpit.
Generally speaking, I find it a little odd how tall sedans are becoming these days. I'm guessing the root cause is a reaction to the height of SUVs. I'm not sure if the sedans are getting taller in response to buyers' desire to "sit up higher," to give sedans the appearance of more "mass," or what; but it sure seems to be a general trend. I just read a review of the Ford Fusion that mentioned "command seating" that elevates the driver a little more.

Many sedans are quite tall. The 7-series is absolutely enormous. It appears almost as tall as some smaller SUVs. The Ford Focus and Toyota Echo are almost comically tall (for their overall size). And the M is a little taller than I'd like in an ideal world (at least from the outside; on the inside, you do appreciate the additional room). You GS owners should rejoice that the GS doesn't seem awkwardly tall (even just a little, as in the case of the M).

This trend seems to coincide with the trend to make the wheel wells gigantic, such as the case of the M, where the 19" wheels look "just right." It used to be that 19" wheels on a car looked sort of ridiculous to anyone who wasn't into the whole "bling bling" thing. It seems on most older cars, 19" wheels would basically just barely clear the wheel well.
Old 05-05-05, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by tmds
Generally speaking, I find it a little odd how tall sedans are becoming these days. I'm guessing the root cause is a reaction to the height of SUVs. I'm not sure if the sedans are getting taller in response to buyers' desire to "sit up higher," to give sedans the appearance of more "mass," or what; but it sure seems to be a general trend. I just read a review of the Ford Fusion that mentioned "command seating" that elevates the driver a little more.

Many sedans are quite tall. The 7-series is absolutely enormous. It appears almost as tall as some smaller SUVs. The Ford Focus and Toyota Echo are almost comically tall (for their overall size). And the M is a little taller than I'd like in an ideal world (at least from the outside; on the inside, you do appreciate the additional room). You GS owners should rejoice that the GS doesn't seem awkwardly tall (even just a little, as in the case of the M).

This trend seems to coincide with the trend to make the wheel wells gigantic, such as the case of the M, where the 19" wheels look "just right." It used to be that 19" wheels on a car looked sort of ridiculous to anyone who wasn't into the whole "bling bling" thing. It seems on most older cars, 19" wheels would basically just barely clear the wheel well.
I was reading a report that said, especially in America, it is 2 things.
1. The infactuation with SUVs and thinking "Bigger is Better'
2. People are getting bigger.

Car companies are now measuring people for bigger seats etc. Some cars have pedals that move back and forth. Cars are getting just bigger and bigger
The 1GS was 55" tall
The 2GS was 57" tall as the 3GS.
The M is extremely tall, even taller than the huge Chrysler 300C.

Since the GS is a world car and exported (where smaller size is a plus) they did not expand much in length or height. Also, Lexus is about "HARMONY" from the leather to color to feel. They don't concentrate on 1 parameter like 0-60 or having the softest ride. They focus on giving the owner the TOTAL experience.

I agree I am tall and sitting in the 7 front AND rear was like , it has tons of interior room. and much bigger than the previous version. The new Ford 500 has a drivers seat that sits 4" higher than the usual sedan, to give the SUV feel.

The PROBLEM is, well, a HUGE cycle I do admit, after drving a SUV, its nice to actually be able to see AROUND you again. In a car, its FRUSTRATING not being able to see around you b/c there are these huge SUVs and 18 swheelers around. Now we are adding HUGE cars in the way. Driving on the road sometimes feels like a demolition derby.

So we have people wanting bigger cars so they can see, they bigger SUVs so they can see and bigger CARS so they can see and even bigger SUVs so they can see and "FEEL SAFE".

Its ridiculous.